PDA

View Full Version : Colored Reflections

Richard Hebert
11-09-2019, 09:21 AM
I'm trying to simulate tinted glass or clear tinted plastic. I'm using the Principled BSDF material editor and I don't see a way to get tinted reflections from it. All other attributes of the material look great but my reference photos show tinted reflections from their surfaces (all other colors being absorbed by the tinted glass). Is there a way to simulate that attribute in that material node or should I be using something else? Thanks for facts and quirky opinions! :stumped:

jwiede
11-09-2019, 02:41 PM
You probably need to be using Dielectric instead of PrincipledBSDF, as you appear to be seeking absorption-related tinting, and while Dielectric supports absorption, I don't believe PrincipledBSDF supports a color value for that. Also, remember that absorption is the dominant absorbed color, not the resultant transmission tinting.

Richard Hebert
11-09-2019, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the tip... Nice of you guys to help out.

MonroePoteet
11-10-2019, 08:14 AM
My experiments with real-world tinted plastic is that the light reflected from the surface is not colored. You may be asking about "caustics" which are internal reflections where the light actually passes through a portion of the material before being reflected or refracted outward such that the absorption characteristics of the material would color the light.

If you can post one of your reference images, it might be easier to propose a solution. The Dielectric material has no reflection from the surface of the object, so if you want that you may need to combine it with a Conductor material (or other reflective Material) using Material Mixer.

mTp

rustythe1
11-10-2019, 01:16 PM
in the standard presets, the clear plastic actually gives you a good starting point, just change the colour, has a nice bump in it that distorts the reflection like injection moulded plastic

Richard Hebert
11-23-2019, 09:03 AM
Sorry for the really long delay, my operating system is crashing and I am not able to access files at the moment. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll try the tips and advice once I'm up and running again.