PDA

View Full Version : Linux support?

AdamWysokinski
10-27-2019, 03:21 AM
Hi,
I'm pretty sure nobody will know for sure, but do you thing there is any potential chance that there will be a native Linux version of Lightwave?

After many years of having Apple-based systems, right now I'm in the middle of moving to Linux. I really like LW, and while the new Blender seems like a great alternative, I really would prefer to keep using LW. It does not work in VirtualBox (AFAIK) and there are (were?) problems with activation in Wine. Also, apart from C4D, all major software has Linux versions. Maybe, if there are more peaople interested, we could put some pressure on on NewTek (or whoever owns the LW now) on the Linux version? Apple will not support OpenGL soon, so key elements of LW will have to be rewritten as well.

What is your opinion?
Adam

erikals
10-27-2019, 04:30 AM
I'm currently looking into a render farm option, and Linux could be of interest. [Free]

I'll have to check current price of Win7. Looking at 6-8 machines.

But looking at Linux vs GPU render, definitely GPU render support is of much higher interest I must say.

raymondtrace
10-27-2019, 06:31 AM
...Maybe, if there are more peaople interested, we could put some pressure on on NewTek (or whoever owns the LW now) on the Linux version?...

"Pressure" is simply put on by filing a feature request. Prioritization of development effort is placed on quality and quantity of requests.

As LightWave has worked fine in Wine (discovery mode only) for at least a decade, I'm assuming there's some fundamentally unworkable issue with porting the licensing mechanism. Otherwise, the move would seem too easy and too obvious.

Kryslin
10-28-2019, 08:17 AM
From what I remember on the subject, the problem lies in the Sentinel Licensing system, not with Lightwave. At least, with LW 9.6, which still relied on the dongle.

allabulle
11-03-2019, 06:28 AM
HI,
I have a virtual machine (KVM) set-up to boot Windows 10 pro from a Linux Host. Configuring the VFIO (intel_iommu, etc...) the system boots dedicating a GPU (or more) to the Guest VM. Then I have assigned a separate keyboard and the Wacom to the config of the VM so when it launches it has its own keyboard and tablet (they work as usual when not starting the VM, unlike the GPU(s) assigned to the VM.) I have a multimonitor workstation, so I plug the monitors also to the card dedicated to the VM, so I can use them in both. I can disable the iommu part, reboot and get the dedicacted to the VM GPU back on Linux if needed.

This way, I can have full windows gpu acceleration, licensing etc... for LightWave/Octane and the Affinity suite of software without having to leave Linux and reboot back and forth. For long or big projects I also have a partition with Windows so I can use all system resources.

Setting up the Linux system this way can be a bit confusing at first, but it's really a matter of following well explained directions, step-by-step. To me it's well worth the effort, once it's working my workflow improved quite a bit.

PS: I can also assing more or les RAM and CPU cores to each VM's boot depending on the project's needs. With a beefier new system I presume I wouldn't boot to a Windows partition again.

erikals
11-03-2019, 06:42 AM
i found Win7 is pretty cheap, so going with that if i create the farm.

but you guys really should check out LightForge    https://render.lightforge.cc

https://i.imgur.com/8LPK8Or.png

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/161011

CaptainMarlowe
11-03-2019, 09:11 AM
I would also welcome a Linux version, if not fully native at least with the winetrick, provided NT would find a fix for the licensing system.
My next rig will most certainly be AMD & Linux Mint based.

Marander
11-03-2019, 03:45 PM
i found Win7 is pretty cheap, so going with that if i create the farm.

If its a server farm for yourself (which is offline) that's fine but I hope you're not planning to provide web services based on Win7 that will not get future security patches next year.

erikals
11-03-2019, 03:49 PM
no, all offline.   https://i.imgur.com/bcwLfNX.gif https://i.imgur.com/5iDKqDX.gif

Marander
11-03-2019, 03:50 PM
Hi,
I'm pretty sure nobody will know for sure, but do you thing there is any potential chance that there will be a native Linux version of Lightwave?

Would be a great move indeed but imho not realistic for LightWave as there are plenty of areas that need much work on the application itself.

jwiede
11-03-2019, 06:51 PM
Once LW's solely using Qt for UI, and no longer has nearly as much tightly-bound, platform-dependent input/UI toolkit code, a Linux port could be much more attainable. Hopefully, as the devs deal with the Qt migration, they're also isolating and adding abstractions at the relevant platform-dependent seams, etc.

Unfortunately, that's still a ways off in the future. Attempting a port before the shift to Qt is done would be an exercise in futility. The existing input infrastructure and UI toolkit LW code are much too tightly-bound and specialized for the existing platforms (Win & Mac). Platform-decoupling and migrating the existing input and UI toolkit code to Linux would nigh-certainly require substantially more effort than migrating the existing platforms to use Qt instead of that code. Further, completion of migration to Qt would still need to occur, relegating effort spent migrating earlier input/UI toolkit code as wasted effort.