PDA

View Full Version : Amleto network rendering with Linux and Windows

Graham Nichols
01-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Hi,

Anyone here using the Amleto render manager successfuly?

I downloaded the trial licence version of Amleto and it worked fine with a bunch of networked Windows XP Pro machines. However, getting it to play nicely with Linux nodes was a different story.

From what I have found out, through experimentation and many rude words, is that I needed to edit the LW scene file with Notepad and remove the references to Windows path names for object files. So I change:

Z:/Scene/Test/box.lwo

to just

box.lwo

because Linux has not idea what Z:/ is. Thereby making the use of mixed OS nodes impossible. It didn't like Red Hat version 9.0, so I went back to Red Hat version 8.0.

Having to use a thirdparty utility to stitch the animation sequential PNG or TGA files together into an AVI file is an unwanted extra task too.

If anyone has solved these problems en mass (maybe I'm just plain doing in wrong and not for the first time) then I'd love to hear about it

I really want to go the Linux node route as I don't have the finances to afford muliple Microsoft licences. Some of us have to do it on a shoestring. :(

best to all for 2004,

Graham

composermanII
01-08-2004, 07:21 AM
I have not tried Amleto, but as far as your third-party software to compile all of the frames into an avi file-you can do that in Lightwave. Simply open image editor. Then, select any image from the sequence. Next, choose sequence rather than still. You can specify your start and end points as well as the frame rate here. After you have created an image sequence simply load it into the background image found in the scene/compositing tab. Set your last frame in the rendering options to match the final frame in you sequence, choose a movie file format and render away. The process should take less than a second per frame. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Troy McClellan

Graham Nichols
01-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by composermanII
I have not tried Amleto, but as far as your third-party software to compile all of the frames into an avi file-you can do that in Lightwave. Simply open image editor. Then, select any image from the sequence. Next, choose sequence rather than still. You can specify your start and end points as well as the frame rate here. After you have created an image sequence simply load it into the background image found in the scene/compositing tab. Set your last frame in the rendering options to match the final frame in you sequence, choose a movie file format and render away. The process should take less than a second per frame. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Troy McClellan

It sure does Troy! Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

best, Graham

composermanII
01-08-2004, 11:20 AM
Not a problem! That is what this community is all about-helping one another.

Good luck,

Troy