PDA

View Full Version : Giving away source code for a few plugins.

Dodgy
01-07-2004, 03:36 AM
In the spirit of the new year, I'm gonna give away the source of the few Lscripts I've written, which should answer a few questions some people might have as well as cause a few, (like 'Why on earth did he do it THAT way?' 'Is he really this dumb?' etc)

First up is my Springythingy plugin, it does a kind of follower effect, but with proper springsand whatnot. It also has channel stuff implemented for those interested in how to go about those.

Check it out and let me know if this is useful to you.

The source is of course copyright me, but I'll give it away under a gnu license, as I would appreciate it that if someone does find a way to improve on it (Which I expect a blind monkey could do!) that they post the revised copy here...

PLEASE FIND THE NEW VERSION LOWER IN THIS THREAD.

riki
01-07-2004, 07:14 AM
This is why I like to hang out in the forums, all the free bits-and-pieces you pickup. Thanks for sharing.

Dodgy
01-07-2004, 09:05 AM
MG UVquantize, for doing some Vmap jiggery pokery.

Dodgy
01-10-2004, 08:10 AM
MGSharpsmooth:

If a point(s) is selected on a curve, it will split the curve at that point(s)
If two joined curves are selected those curves will be smoothed across the join.

Dodgy
01-10-2004, 08:12 AM
MGSmoothassist:

When you do a smooth shift, to add geometry to an object, sometimes you just want to pull some points in. This plugin finds the edges where you haven't made any change and merges them and gets rid of any two point polys.

Dodgy
01-10-2004, 08:13 AM
A little picture of what I mean:

riki
01-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Thanks Dodgy

I actually had copies of all the RT versions. but of course even better to get LS's.

many thanks

again.

papou
01-26-2004, 05:07 PM
nice! thank you Dodgy!

Dodgy
08-26-2004, 06:30 PM
Been a while, but here's a new finished lscript. This one automates the long hair sas-lite guide making tutorial I wrote for the tutorial section, plus does a few other little automations. This should make it a doddle to make long hair guides for your creatures. Let me know if there are any bugs, I think I've taken them all out but you never know!

Dodgy
08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Added one more little feature which I forgot to put in the previous version. This allows you to merge points within a certain distance of each other to make a much more evenly dense wig rather than a large number of guides in one place and sparser guides in another area.

Lamont
09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks a lot Dodgy, this will help a lot!!

Dodgy
09-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Here's a new plugin (mainly for Architextural or product visualizers) who need to lathe a shape around a use defined axis. Just select two points for the axis, and select your polygons you wish to lathe, and let it go.

It's also demonstrates how to make a 'non-modal' style panel for use in modeler. It's not actually non-modal, but allows you to get realtime feedback on your model as you change the values.

UnCommonGrafx
09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Just started in on LS and this is a godsend!

Thanks, Dodgy!!

And if you are at the Worms art place, they really have some great tutes.

Dodgy
09-11-2004, 08:25 PM
Nope, I'm at the Worms place, team 17, games developers :) About 1/3 of the objects in Worms 3d were made in LW...

Panikos
09-19-2004, 10:22 PM
Dodgy, say a hello to my friend Rico Holmes.
He'd been here for two weeks, long time ago.

:)

NanoGator
09-20-2004, 01:42 PM
Awesome, Dodgy. I really appreciate you providing the .LS files instead of the .LSC files. I've been learning LScript lately, so having access to some code to play with is VERy worthwhile. (Betcha the tools themselves are useful, too! hehehe)

As for WORMS, oh man, that brings back some memories. "We are worms we're the best and we've come to win the war..." Argh I get that stuck in my head sometimes. ;)

Cheers man

Afalk
09-21-2004, 05:42 AM
Dodgy -- THANKS so much for sharing these. I 100%
agree w/the earlier comment -- these are a godsend :D

All the best!

AF

Dodgy
09-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Panikos, he says hi back :)

It's np sharing. I just wanna some other cool plugins written from you lot :)

JackDeL
09-26-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks Dodgy!

Dodgy
11-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Yet another, ahem, masterpiece :P
This time it's a quick and really dirty thickener, cause the one I tried to use kept crashing/not working reliably :P

I did plan to use the Max angle function in smooth shift, but I was getting odd results, so I took that out.

Anyway, here it is.

EDIT (22/12/04): Doh! Fixed settings not being saved!

colkai
11-24-2004, 03:12 AM
Cheers for that Dodgy!
All things being equal - hope to see you on Saturday. :D

Dodgy
11-24-2004, 03:19 AM
I'll be there, and I'll be bringing a friend hopefully :)

colkai
11-24-2004, 03:31 AM
Cool! - see ya there! :D

webhead
11-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Do all these plug-ins work with a MAC G5 running OSX? :confused:

Dodgy
11-29-2004, 05:39 PM
As far as I'm aware, Lscripts should work on either platform. Why don't you try one? :)

webhead
11-29-2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the tip, Dodgy. I just might try one. Thanks!

Dodgy
11-30-2004, 08:57 AM
MGthicken now works in realtime, like MGlatheaxis. May be a bit slow on lots of polys.

Dodgy
11-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Fixed a bug with subpatches... Doh!

LAV
12-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Many thanks! I'm going to install!

Dodgy
12-12-2004, 03:59 PM
Hey all,

Well here's another one. This will modify an existing skeleton of an object in Layout with the positions of skelegons within that object. So if you've converted your skelegons to bones, added your setup stuff like IK etc and then found your knees aren't quite in the right place, but don't want to use the bone tools in layout, you can modify the skelegons in modeler and then run this Generic Layout plugin with your object selected and it will (hopefully!) move the bones to the new positions.

It will:
MAKE A BACK UP scene in your LW content directory just in case! (this will be overwritten each time you run this plugin so as not to fill your harddrive!)
Match old bones BY NAME(this is the only way to do it) !!! to the skelegons, and use these to layout the skeleton.
Add new bones to the skeleton.
Delete old obsolete bones (if the user requires)
Parent any orphan bones to higher up the chain.
Record pivot rotations if desired (apart from on targeted bones as these seem to get screwed up with RPR)
Keep any reparenting you did in layout (say if you had isolated bones which you parented to the main group)

It doesn't delete the old bones (unless you want them to!) just moves them around, so they will keep their old settings. These of course may need adjusting (rotation limits for example if you make the bones a little more bent) because of distortion of the skeleton.

This is a complex plugin, so I make no warranty (it's free!) but as it makes a backup, there shouldn't be any undoable mishaps.

Dodgy
12-22-2004, 02:46 PM
Doh! In the conversion to realtime, MGthicken wasn't saving the settings. Now it does so :)

Dodgy
01-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Updated Wizzywig to not delete things in the wig layer. This enables you to grow batches of hair and put them in the same layer. It also has a Group number, so if you want to grow 3 batches of hair, it'll split the saslite polygon number cap into 3 so they get equal amounts of polys.

Ramon
01-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Dodgy,
Thanks so much for your scripts. They are very cool.
The MAJOR thing that LW is missing out on, that would be a HUGE time saver and would bring great joy to LW artists is an automated UV unwrapper that would perform it's funtion perhaps in a morph map (so to be able to edit in 3D if nessesary).
Although I'm the fartherest thing from being a programmer, the way I see it working (tell me if this is doable) is that the script/plugin rotates the polys out from the polys that are either; the highest point on the user-defined axis or outward from user selected polys on a particular axis.
By the plugin using the rotate method to unwrap the mesh, this would ensure that no poly would be stratched (hence: no texture stretching would be present). This would be do to the obvious fact that the polys would be the same dimension.
The plugin will find if nessesary, any areas that need to be unwelded (that is if the user-defined unwelding is insuffiecent to accomodate non overlapping polys).

This woud be a massive time saver for high-res organic objects that will need uvs.
How do-able is this? :)
Thanks

Dodgy
01-27-2005, 05:25 PM
That seems a bit beyond my talents as yet :) Processing a large number of vertices is also going to be quite slow in lscript, though I agree it's a nice idea ;)

Ramon
01-28-2005, 05:22 PM
Are you kinding? You're great at programming!
Someone, I believe on CGtalk, had said that his company (at the time) had a proprietary LW plugin that did this and he said it worked like a charm but that they weren't selling it.
Seeesh. I bet that would sell like hot cakes!

Err, umm,... come to think of it, I've never bought a hot cake. :rolleyes:
Anyway, I hope NT is reading this! Get this fully functional feature into LW please - to ease the pain of custum UVs!!! (Was that impressionable enough?)

Dodgy
01-29-2005, 09:42 AM
LW8 only.

Right, on the path to making things easier to set up for character rigging in LW, I've made a couple of LScripts, MGMakeMuscleBoneGN and MGMuscleBoneIA.

These two plugins are used to set up a musclebone. Basically you select the bone you wish to behave like a muscle plus the bone you wish to drive it, then apply the Generic Plugin MGMakeMuscleBoneGN.ls. This makes another bone (parented to the driver bone) which is the target and applies the MGMuscleBoneIA.ls motion plugin to the muscle bone. The muscle then targets the target bone, and grows in the x/y directions and shrinks in the z direction depending on the distance from the target bone.

The MGMuscleBoneIA.ls has a non-modal panel which can be used to adjust the amount the muscle stretches/shrinks, but you could also animate the positon of the target bone if you so desire.

Alternatively you can add MGmuscleBoneIA.ls manually, and use any item in the scene as the target.

For those programmers out there, there's also an example of using the new Comring system for sending values to plugins.

PLEASE FIND THIS PLUGIN LOWER IN THIS THREAD.

Dodgy
01-30-2005, 10:24 AM
MGMuscleBone.zip updated to change the scale values to percentages to give slider functionality...

riki
01-30-2005, 05:06 PM
I'm getting an error message

vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster

Dodgy
01-30-2005, 05:22 PM
Try again, I may have been uploading a version with a test scene...

riki
01-30-2005, 05:37 PM
yes that worked, many thanks

pooby
01-31-2005, 10:40 AM
Dodgy..

That's a great tool and really easy to set up.. I like it.

Dodgy
01-31-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I was aiming to see if something like that could be made easier to set up, and the Comring allows you to send settings to your plugins, so it can all be automated... Pretty cool :)

CB_3D
01-31-2005, 01:28 PM
the Comring allows you to send settings to your plugins, so it can all be automated... Pretty cool :)

Could you comment this function a litlle more,please? thx

Dodgy
01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Could you comment this function a litlle more,please? thx

This has been updated with more comments :)

silviotoledo
02-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Muscle bone is good, but for better realistic results, I'd like to modelate objects and transform these objects in muscles. Is there any solution for Lightwave?

hesido
02-01-2005, 04:00 AM
Dodgy.. The scripts are awesome. Can I continue making feature request here instead of the official forum? :D

@silviotoledo: Some people really setup does muscle bones so it looks killer. Couple that with some endomorphs maybe and you'll have some killer results.

(Tho, it'd be nice to have a slider to effect the influence of that extra muscle bone. One could do it himself.. While setting up the muscles, people forget that they contract according to the force they are against, so a muscle would not contract as much if the char is just waving a hand, but that's not the case when doing an arm-wrestling or else :=) I don't know if you are able to control this even in the really advanced muscle systems on some packages. probably they have but I'd like to imagine they don't :) )

Dodgy
02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I've had a look at this, bu there are a few tricky bits, so unless I figure a way past them, you'll have to make do with what you've got :P

hesido
02-01-2005, 02:39 PM
dodgy: I am not whining about lacking that feature! Just a suggestion to people who would implement that in their own animations :) (Because I haven't seen such setups till yet.)

Dodgy
02-01-2005, 03:03 PM
I wasn't saying you were whining, I was disappointed because I couldn't do it :P
I'd love to have made it happen but can't figure out a way around some limitations in the Lscript system....
But I do have an idea for another couple of plugins which shouldn't take long to code up...

Dodgy
02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
And another one:

Usage:
Select any objects or bones which you may wish to make stretchy (able to scale them in the x/y/z whilst it's children remain the same size)
Apply the generic plugin MGMakeStretchyGN.Now you can use the Stretch tool on the items, without this affecting their children.

How it works:

This will add a child bone to the item, and apply the Motion plugin MGStretchCompIA to it, which compensates for any scale modifications done to
it's parent. It will also reparent the stretchy item's child to this new compensator bone, so they won't be affected by their parent. It also hides
the compensator bone and locks it from selection. If you want to adjust this bone, use the Scene editor to select it.

MGStretchCompIA has toggles for X/Y/Z channels,so you can switch them off individually if necessary.

Version 1.2: Now works with load from scene. DOH!

PLEASE FIND THIS PLUGIN LOWER IN THIS THREAD.

FniNe
02-11-2005, 03:47 AM
And another one:

Usage:
Select any objects or bones which you may wish to make stretchy (able to scale them in the x/y/z whilst it's children remain the same size)
Apply the generic plugin MGMakeStretchyGN.Now you can use the Stretch tool on the items, without this affecting their children.

How it works:

This will add a child bone to the item, and apply the Motion plugin MGStretchCompIA to it, which compensates for any scale modifications done to
it's parent. It will also reparent the stretchy item's child to this new compensator bone, so they won't be affected by their parent. It also hides
the compensator bone and locks it from selection. If you want to adjust this bone, use the Scene editor to select it.

MGStretchCompIA has toggles for X/Y/Z channels,so you can switch them off individually if necessary.

Thanks so much!!! This is great and very useful!!!

Dodgy
02-19-2005, 01:32 PM
An oldie but a goodie.

For those people doing work with splines, this plugin allows you to split multiple splines (make them have sharp corners) at wherever you have selected points, or, if the selection is multiple splines, it with smooth across their joins. This does away with the faffing of splitting splines using the standard LW method, and means you can put this dual sharpening/smoothing function on ctrl-s (the standard LW hotkey for just smoothing)

Also, if anyone used this plugin previously, this fixes a problem if you had some splines selected, but were working in point/spline splitting mode)

riki
02-19-2005, 04:11 PM
They just keep coming, many thanks.

colkai
02-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Mike is da bomb let me tell ya! :D

Kaiten
02-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Cheers Dodgy. :D

Kaiten
02-21-2005, 04:36 AM
ps cheers with the tip on uv renders, Ive disabled the alphamap on the targa image and it works fine now :)

Dodgy
02-21-2005, 06:02 AM
Ah :) Thought it might be :)

Dodgy
03-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Hiya,

Another new one, this does mass renaming of nulls/lights/bones/cameras (but not objects, for obvious reasons).

Select any number of objects (other than actual meshes since these use their filenames) and execute the plugin. You can then type in the format of the new names you wish to give the objects. Use <name> to denote anywhere you'd like the old name to go, and # to symbolise the number of digits you'd like in an additional counter. So for example,

renaming bonep with a format of 'Left_<name>_###' would give 'Left_bonep_001', 'Left_bonep_002'etc

If you've already used some numerals, you can strip these out and/or use these in the # places.

You can also find and replace a string in the name. This will be done on the original name after stripping, if you've opted to strip out numerals.

Gollum
03-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for sharing those awesome tools with us, you rock! :cool:

coffeefery
03-11-2005, 09:08 AM
Wow! Thank you so much, Dodgy, for these cool plugins :)

Dodgy
03-11-2005, 10:57 AM
No problem :) I'm glad you appreciate them :)

Dodgy
04-09-2005, 06:33 PM
Right, here's new versions of 3 of my plugins. since I don't seem to get many people emailing me about bugs, I've only recently found out that these were failing when being loaded from a scene (which is odd since using two characters in one scene would very often need to be done, shows how much char animation I've done recently doesn't it! Doh!) and not referring to the correct items. I didn't think it was a problem before since I thought LW would handle this properly, but it turns out this is an oversight. Anyone else using object agents take note :) I was using ids to refer to objects uniquely, and these weren't getting sorted out upon Load from Scene (in which object ids would be changed!) so the scripts worked fine when just doing a Load, but be broken in Load from Scene. With these versions, I'm saving the id offset from the object their applied to (whose ID can be grabbed in the plugin itself) so now they work in Load from scene cases.

In any case, anyone using them should grab these versions, as they should be quite robust in handling ids (and thus work properly in all situations!) and anyone who's interested in programming Lscript might want to have a look as well if like I have you've had trouble working your way around this situation.

You will have to setup your settings for springythingy again, as I've given the code the once over and got rid of a lot of rubbish.

Have fun!

Afalk
04-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to work with these much but am
looking forward to giving them a whirl.

All the best,

Anthony

[QUOTE=Dodgy]Right, here's new versions of 3 of my plugins. since I don't seem to get many people emailing me about bugs, I've only recently found out that these were failing when being loaded from a scene (which is odd since using two characters in one scene would very often need to be done, shows how much char animation I've done recently doesn't it! Doh!) ...

jaesherman
04-22-2005, 09:12 AM
Dodgy,

I feel totally insufficient asking an inane question like this but...gotta learn sometime, right?

How exactly do I apply this very well spoken of plug-in? I'm only familiar with loading plug-ins, such as Worley's Poke, through Object Properties.

When I select the object which I intend to apply the Stretchy plug-in in Layout and go to Utilities/LScript and select the MGMakeStretchyGN.ls and tell LW that the MGStretchCompIA.ls is in with the StretchyGN, I get:
All Finished (which is very exciting, truely) and all of the Stretch compensation bones are hidden, locked and in place. I can see them in my Scene Editor and everything should be splendid, but, alas alas...when I select, for instance, Bone 3 out of 10 bones in the hierarchy all of it's children still stretch the same as without the Stretchy plug-in. Is there something I'm doing wrong or perhaps a step that I've skipped?

Thanks for your patience with my naiveté, I'm looking forward to any help anyone might lend.....

Thanks - jaesherman

Dodgy
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Dodgy,

I feel totally insufficient asking an inane question like this but...gotta learn sometime, right?

How exactly do I apply this very well spoken of plug-in? I'm only familiar with loading plug-ins, such as Worley's Poke, through Object Properties.

When I select the object which I intend to apply the Stretchy plug-in in Layout and go to Utilities/LScript and select the MGMakeStretchyGN.ls and tell LW that the MGStretchCompIA.ls is in with the StretchyGN, I get:
All Finished (which is very exciting, truely) and all of the Stretch compensation bones are hidden, locked and in place. I can see them in my Scene Editor and everything should be splendid, but, alas alas...when I select, for instance, Bone 3 out of 10 bones in the hierarchy all of it's children still stretch the same as without the Stretchy plug-in. Is there something I'm doing wrong or perhaps a step that I've skipped?

Thanks for your patience with my naiveté, I'm looking forward to any help anyone might lend.....

Thanks - jaesherman

No question is inane, obviously I didn't explain fully in the docs :)

Did you select EVERY bone you wanted to make stretchy? This plugin doesn't go down the whole hierarchy, just the selected bones have compensator bones added, and their children are reparented to these. So if you select just one bone, only that bone can be stretched without affecting it's children. If you've selected an object, it'll add in a bone to compensate, but won't do the same to all it's children. You''l have to select all it's bones and apply 'Make Stretchy' to do that.

Dodgy
04-23-2005, 11:33 AM
Grrr, when I updated Make Stretchy, I screwed up the Restlength call, so it crashed LW. Now it is fixed and updated, along with a selection bug in MG spring.

Sorry, god I am so annoyed I didn't check it :P

jaesherman
04-25-2005, 08:17 AM
"Did you select EVERY bone you wanted to make stretchy? This plugin doesn't go down the whole hierarchy, just the selected bones have compensator bones added, and their children are reparented to these. So if you select just one bone, only that bone can be stretched without affecting it's children. If you've selected an object, it'll add in a bone to compensate, but won't do the same to all it's children. You''l have to select all it's bones and apply 'Make Stretchy' to do that."

Right! I think the problem I was having was using converted skelegons...I believed the hype and the hype bit me in the bum.

Thanks for the explanation and clarification. The plug-in is working perfectly now and really making my project what I wanted it to be.

Thanks again for your help and such a kickin' plug-in!

jaesherman!

jaesherman
04-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Okay....

Skelelgons were not the problem...concentration is the bug in this snafu.

I didn't realise that you had, very intelligently, Dodgy, made the plug-in advance to the next bone down the hierarchy after it was applied to selected bone...very smart.

I wish I were blessed with the same :P

It works awesome, skelegons or not!

Cheers!

jds580s
05-02-2005, 12:13 PM
Dodgy I'm using SpringyThingy v2
and when I try to add an envelope I get the following error
Mass: Line 443, invalid object reference
Limit: Line 479, invalid object reference
Spring Constant: Line 515, invalid object reference
Damping: Line 549, invalid object reference

I had done some renaming of objects so I also tried it on a fresh scene
with just 2 nulls and had the same results.

Other than that minor thing I am loving this script! And thank you so much for posting the source too, it's nice being able to see what is behind something like SpringyThingy

Justin

Dodgy
05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Dodgy I'm using SpringyThingy v2
and when I try to add an envelope I get the following error
Mass: Line 443, invalid object reference
Limit: Line 479, invalid object reference
Spring Constant: Line 515, invalid object reference
Damping: Line 549, invalid object reference

Other than that minor thing I am loving this script! And thank you so much for posting the source too, it's nice being able to see what is behind something like SpringyThingy

Justin

Thanks for that :) It is now fixed, get the new version below. I apologise for this error.

jds580s
05-02-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried the new version and it lets me create an envelope, but once I click on the [E] button and the graph editor pops up, my mouse disappears each time it passes into the graph area of the display.

If I click the OK box for MG_Springythingy it does let me modify the graph as an additional channel on the object, but the envelop doesn't seem to have any effect on the output.

I did a simple 3 null setup
Null 1 is keyframed moving around
Null 2 is Springy following Null 1 with default settings
Null 3 is Springy following Null 1 with enveloped settings

the motion of both 2 and 3 are the same

I hope that makes sense

Justin

Dodgy
05-23-2005, 06:46 PM
Another new plugin.
This one can be used to set the lock/layout visibility/channel controllers/channel locks of all the selected objects (like you need to for some bones for a character, especially if using IKBooster)

You can do this with the spreadsheet, but this collects them all in one easy requester.

Hoopti
05-24-2005, 05:31 AM
As always, thanks Dodgy for the great work.

Hoop

Dodgy
05-24-2005, 07:53 AM
New update which fixes envelopes... Again... I know I know :)

Dodgy
06-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I've rewritten the code to be more robust and handle some situations which the old script didn't.

hesido
06-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Thanks so much...

Dodgy
08-05-2005, 08:04 PM
A new one. This is a limits the distance an object can move in it's parent space depending on which channels are selected.

Dodgy
08-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Hiya, this one does UV relaxing by the cunning step of mapping the UV's to a morph, smoothing the morph and then mapping the smoothed vertices back to the original UVs. A couple of caveats.

Discontinuous Uv's tend to get drawn to each other (as they share the same point) so you may want to leave them out of any selections. Also, points which directly adjoin D.C. points may be drawn towards the 'wrong' UV for that point, so try to avoid them as well. All other situations should function perfectly though.

Because it creates a morph, although it does empty it after,the morph will still be selected, so you should deselect it before doing further modelling (couldn't find a method of doing this automatically in lscript unfortunately).

riki
08-08-2005, 09:53 AM
I'm getting the following error after trying to download the latest attachment
"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the webmaster"

Dodgy
08-08-2005, 10:04 AM
Try it again, I was uploading a newer version....

nickej
04-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi, Guys, Dodgy--
I'm trying to use SpringyThingy V2.5 with LW 8.5 and while it's functioning beautifully, if I quit the scene and try to reload it, I get a "Cannot Access Input File MGSpring21A.LS" prompt, and the SpringyThingy Motion modifier turns into a plain LScript modifier that doesn't do anything. To get SpringyThingy back, I have to load it again and input all parameters. I don't remember having this happen with my versions for 7.5d, so I assume there's something, er, Dodgy with the script. If it were just one or two things I'd just make some pencil notes and do it the hard way, but I'm doing a "Load From Scene" with sixteen objects, each of which have four antennae with SpringyThingy on them and I worry that it will drive me mad. I've tried 2.3 with similar results, and tried having the basic LScript in both the plugins folder and in the LScript folder, since I have no clue if that would make any difference. It didn't.
Anybody--any recommendations?
Nick J.

Dodgy
04-13-2006, 04:47 AM
That's odd. Are you running it under the lscript controller, or adding it to lightwave as a plugin and running it that way? I run it as a plugin, and it seems to work fine for me.

Trying it as an Lscript loaded plugin, I get this same problem, so my advice is to add it as a plugin(using the plugin manager), as the procedure for handling relative lscripts seems to be broken.

zapper1998
04-13-2006, 05:05 AM
yes thanks
michael

nickej
04-13-2006, 06:14 AM
Hi, dodgy--
Thanks for the quick reply! I just woke up and tried your suggestion, but I'm afraid I'm not getting your results. Perhaps I'm not doing it right, since I'm not certain of what you mean by "Plug-In Manager". I loaded the plugin several ways, though.
1.)Under Utilities>Plugins>Edit Plugins (the f11 interface). There I got a "1 plugin successfully added" prompt.
2.)Under Utilities>Add Plug-ins. There I got a "2 plugins successfully added" prompt.(huh?)
3.) I tried the F11 window, "Clear All" and then "Scan Directory".
On all of these, I would quit LW immediately after loading the plug-ins, restart it and scan the "Edit Plugins" window to make sure the plugs loaded. SpringyThingy appears under "Motion", but scenes with the plug give the same load error. I even tried resaving the scenes after reloading the plug. No luck.

I'll get back to it tonight after work, but I think I might have exhausted my options....Still, one never knows where LW is concerned....

Dodgy
04-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Can you send me a scene? Just the scene, I won't need the objects.
Thanks...

nickej
04-13-2006, 01:01 PM
I'll gladly do so when I get home later tonight. I'm out on a social obligation right now (and sneaking out to check this forum, heh-heh). However, after my initial experience with the unloadability problem, I set up a simple scene with two nulls, one of which moves around a little. The other is linked via SpringyThingy to it, so it does a sort of wobbly dance around it. ST works fine there, but it just doesn't load if I save and reopen the scene.....
Nick J.

nickej
04-13-2006, 10:36 PM
OK, here's a test scene that consistently won't load ST. When loaded and run within a scene, ST works fine, it just won't reload after quitting the scene. All that's going on is I set Null2 to follow Null1.
Nick J.

Dodgy
04-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Well that loaded perfectly on my pc so I'm well confused...

nickej
04-14-2006, 06:12 PM
Hi, Dodgy--
Well, while I was on the bus into work today, I had the odd idea that perhaps, if relative addressing were a problem, I might help it by setting the Content Directory to the default, and/or moving the scenefile to the scenes folder in the content directory, but, alas, neither worked, alone or in conjunction. Since it worked for you, however, it's obviously my system/configuration/genetics/karma that's at fault and I have to work this one out on my own. I'll let you know if I'm able to solve it, but thanks for all your help and your delightful and valuable plugins!
Nick J.

nickej
04-15-2006, 05:59 AM
HAH! GOT IT!
The solution turned out to be "re-install the 8.5 update".
I was thinking that perhaps something might have become subtly corrupt in my Cfg file. Maybe that was it. Whatever. In any case, it works great now......
Thanks again for all your help!