PDA

View Full Version : In the styleof Greg Martin.

Jason T
01-07-2004, 02:05 AM
I hope!:)
Sometimes the simplest things just work... IMO.

KeithJ
01-07-2004, 03:55 AM
Very nice indeed :)
why not tell us a little more about how you did it?

Jason T
01-07-2004, 05:09 AM
It's fairly simple stuff really...
There are two volumetric lights: one for the nebula-like texture and another, much lower intensity vlight to create the shadow from Europa. A third Distant light provides the main illumination and 'flare.
Jupiter has gradient controlled sphere with the original planet map added in multiply mode: this gives the clouds more apparent depth.
The Illumination map for the volcano's on Io was hand-drawn in PS and then added with a controlling Alpha map.
I did a bit of post-process in PS; namely cropping and shifting the colours towards red slightly. I also feathered the edge of Jupiters' atmosphere to give it a more "billowy"apperance. I wanted the impression that the clouds are being displaced by movement lower down in the atmosphere.
I then copied the whole layer, gave it an 8 pixel Gaussian blur, changed it's display mode to screen and adjusted the opacity.

Hmmmm... that sounded like a mini tutorial!;):D

starbase1
01-07-2004, 05:31 AM
Astonishing! A lovely image!
Nick

DigiMatt
01-07-2004, 06:14 AM
wow.. amazing image! great work mate.

Kuzey
01-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Oooooooh....coolness!!

Kuzey

renatolazzaroni
01-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Superb volumetrics and textures, great sense of scale.
I like it !

Renato

freedik
01-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Looks lovely.
Very unnatural though, in RL space mostly contains void ;) , not dust clouds etc. Well, at least not in this particular place.

But it looks really cool.

Melvil
01-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Very cool! I love the look of it. Only problem is that it's not much good as a background. ;)

-Dave

SamuraiSlayer
01-08-2004, 01:44 PM
one of the first pictures of space here thats not lame...

Jason T
01-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by SamuraiSlayer
one of the first pictures of space here thats not lame...
Thank-you! I take that as a compliment: I'm fed up with seeing space pics with a few stars and a half-hearted effort at a nebula insetead of trying to make it look spectacular, and that's the main reason that I like Greg Martin's work. He isn't scared of making things bright and colourful.
The original thought for the pic was something along the lines of: "I wonder what it would look like if the Sun suddenly turned into a supernova?";):D

Terrificfool
01-08-2004, 05:02 PM
Awesome, simply awesome, now all you need is the starship enterprise in the shot.... and then sweet, sweet perfection!

All in all I cant find a single fault, its a very very well made still, simple, but conveys a real great look.

Excellent Work!

SamuraiSlayer
01-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Jason: You're welcome for the compliment :)

this is about the only space picture that i will come back and look at a couple times, it is the only one that i've seen here that doesn't have:

1. lens flare
2. stars
3. a million planets or something

and one of the only ones here that:

1. has a massive look
2. has good lighting
3. doesnt have galaxies and milky ways and all that other stuff

PEOPLE!!! YOU DONT NEED LENS FLARE FOR US TO TELL THAT IT IS SPACE!!! AND YOU DON'T NEED A PATHETIC BACKDROP WITH STARS ON IT!!! AND YOU DON'T NEED SUPERGALACTIC CREATURES OR WHATEVER!!!

great!!!

(i'm not criticizing any1 elses work, just... well... ok maybe i am:( )

igorstshirts
01-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Very nice... Nice to see all the shapes contrast against one-another. Io looks sweet.

Simon
01-10-2004, 01:19 AM
I like Io especially, the firey eruptions in the shadowed side of it look great!

Simon.

starbase1
01-11-2004, 09:57 AM
Hi,
I have been inspired to play with voloumtric lights myself, results, (including preset files for anyone who wants them) are at:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16308

Cheers,
Nick

RABermanCCSC
01-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Very "Star Trek, New Generation/Babaylon 5".......

Has almost depth to it with your flares and shades.....Excellent and I should know...