PDA

View Full Version : saslite and screamernet

3dgirl
01-06-2004, 06:51 PM
i just finished building a scene with grass using saslite. the scene is VERY renderintensive so i set up screamernet only to discover that saslite doesn't work with screamernet. Is there any way around this other that buying sasquatch, which i don't have the money for and don't really need other than for grass?

TyVole
01-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately not.

It would be nice if Newtek specified the limitations of Saslite in the manual instead of having users discover them unexpectedly.

Other limitations you may not be familar with:

1. Only 8 instances per scene.
2. A polygon limit. I'm not sure about the exact number -- it just states that you've exceeded it.

Other limitations you may not be familar with (that are not specific to the Lite version):

1. It won't work with hypervoxels or volumetric lighting (the hypervoxels may just be a Lite limit, I'm not positive.)
2. It won't render in reflections or through transparent items (again, transparency may just be a Lite limit.)

Good luck.

3dgirl
01-06-2004, 08:16 PM
thanks.

yeh i find that quite incredible that they don't tell you anything about it. i did a search on screamernet and saslite on the net and even that didn't come up with anything either. The only place you seem to be able to find out about it is on the command script of your screamernet node, and even then i would've missed it had i not been watching right at the start when it came up- or i would have come in the next day to find a scene rendered with no grass and would've been completely mystified as to why.

well i guess it's back to using polygon blades of grass.

Gary Heck
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
I was wondering if Mule has a problem rendering saslite since I believe it is dependent on screamernet also.

inquisitive
07-19-2008, 09:54 PM
even thought this is a 4yr old post, I am curious about the last question as well... does anybody know?

Gary Heck
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Just came back to this old post. To answer your question I went ahead and got Mule and it renders saslite just fine.