PDA

View Full Version : wet surface please?!!?

ianay
08-23-2019, 05:19 PM
Im trying to create a wet surface, (wet fibre glass under a fountain so pretty wet) but.. Cannot quite get the shiny wet that im after.. Im using LW 11 but have LW 2018 though Im not a fan of it as i despise 'Principled BSDF' (reason I hate it is this,so you dont have to ask.. When I started on LW many years ago, surfacing when learning the principles was easy, you created a surface and made it pink.. Easy! principled BSDF is not something you can just stumble on to and start working with in 2 mins and I still dont understand why its the new standard! Surely this is going to force newbies away from LW!.... Anyway, enough of my BSDF rant... ) Im using LW 11 for this scene but if someone could give me advice on a better option with LW 2018 then i can give it a go

Thank for all help guys!

Tim Parsons
08-23-2019, 06:13 PM
Do you have a photo sample of what you are trying to achieve? Wet fiberglass???

ianay
08-23-2019, 06:34 PM
here it is, its a Walrus model in a fountain (which im trying to recreate) .. with my poor effort

Shabazzy
08-23-2019, 08:59 PM
...Im using LW 11 but have LW 2018 though Im not a fan of it as i despise 'Principled BSDF' (reason I hate it is this,so you dont have to ask.. When I started on LW many years ago, surfacing when learning the principles was easy, you created a surface and made it pink.. Easy! principled BSDF is not something you can just stumble on to and start working with in 2 mins and I still dont understand why its the new standard! Surely this is going to force newbies away from LW!.... Anyway, enough of my BSDF rant... )

Ianay, thanks for sharing your honest view of the new PBR system, I for one am glad you did.

Even though I'm not actually going to be helping much with your query in this post (unfortunately, it's really late as I write this and my machine is busy rendering out a VPR preview so I can't provide any solutions right now), I have to say "Dude. Really? PBR is SO much better than the old system".

Joking aside, I totally get where you're coming from and I was reluctant to learn the new system because I had learned and understood how the surface editor worked pre 2018 and couldn't really see why I should learn a new way to do the same thing. It just seemed like a waste of my time.

But I made the effort and boy was I wrong. The new PBR system makes getting those surfaces looking just like you want them, SO much easier once you understand that the Surface Editor's Materials tab provides a list of easy to use material controls that really streamline and expedite the task.

Principled BSDF is just one of many material controls, it just happens to have the more comprehensive set of controls in the list. The other's are like shortcuts to getting a particular material look, i.e., for metal you don't have to use PBSDF, you could use the Conductor material. For transparent materials, you could use Dielectric. These (and others) provide a fast track to achieving the look you want. The old way took bloody ages because is was so convoluted and limited.

Mate, I really do recommend that you take the time to get to grips with the new PBR system, you'll be really glad you did.

Tim Parsons
08-23-2019, 09:36 PM
here it is, its a Walrus model in a fountain (which im trying to recreate) .. with my poor effort

Oh I see. Yeah that should be fairly easy - with PBR. :) Texture the Walrus as you normally would and then add a clearcoat with a really high setting (Clearcoat is one of the few settings that you can manually override over 100%) Here is a "walrus" dry and then wet. :) Of course you'd want to break it up a little bit.

MonroePoteet
08-24-2019, 08:00 AM
In LW11 or any pre-BSDF version, cut down your bump map quite a bit (the sample picture of your model you posted looks very rough) and use the Specularity channel. Placement and type of the Light will be very important, or have "soft box" type lighting polygons (i.e. 100% luminous white rectangles) placed to "reflect" in the specularity of the object.

For water flowing over a surface, I'd use a Procedural texture on the Specularity, probably Turbulence, stretched down in X and Z relative to Y (e.g. size of (.1,3,.1)) to make it look like runnels of water sluicing over a surface. For a still, fine-tune the x,y and z position of the Procedural to get a look you like. For an animation, move the Procedural in X, Y and / or Z to change the locations of the runnels.

Good luck!
mTp