PDA

View Full Version : Arched windows-How would you model them?

prometheus
08-15-2019, 08:56 PM
If you have lw cad, that would probably be much easier, not sure if it has presets for arched windows..I think HR giger had some though.

So if you have lw cad and not using presets..how would you approach it in lw cad.
And if not Lw cad...how would you approach modeling the arched windows in modeler only, or would you use the help of another tool?

https://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=145765&d=1565924051

Ma3rk
08-16-2019, 12:14 AM
It does and so that's what the HR prefix on them stands for. Been awhile.

So I think your question is: how would you model this from scratch? I'm too rusty with it to answer but should be pretty straight forward. And probably not too much different that w/o LWCad but not quite as easy or probably way more steps.

Every time I watch Victor do a procedure it looks easy but when I try to recall the steps a few weeks later, I'm all befuddled & have to go review the vids again.

hrgiger
08-16-2019, 01:39 AM
In LWCAD by default, every Boolean is going to be a square cut because what LWCAD is doing behind the scenes is making a bounding box Boolean cutter for your library objects so doors and windows with their typical square/rectangular shape don't present problems. For the LWCAD presets I made, I used a custom curve profile which you can specify as a cutter when you place objects into the library. So for things like the round window shape Ma3rk is showing, I had to create the object, then trace the outline of that objects outer points using LWCAD line tool. It has to match exactly the profile of the round window shape. So in other words, if the object was made up of a disc shape with 32 points, the curve profile I used as a cutter also had to be created with 32 points and had to match each vertex exactly, otherwise there would be gaps between the wall and the actual window (or overlaps). Unfortunately, with Modeler's destructive nature, there is no changing of the resolution of the window and so each preset you have in your library which uses a Boolean has a fixed resolution.

To be honest, its been a few years now since I've used either LW or LWCAD now but from what I recall, just use a rectangle tool, then use the arch tool to create the top shape of the window, and trim the top line on the rectangle. I don't recall if you have to join the rectangle and the arch but I believe so. I select all the curves of the window except for the bottom horizontal and use the offset tool to create the inner arch. Then just draw lines across to create the other frames and then use trim tool to trim off the excess lines which extend past the shape of the window. Then run the profiler tool which whatever shape you want your frame to be.

The HR on the presets was just because most people just referred to me as HR and Steve presets had no ring to it so I left it.

prometheus
08-16-2019, 06:24 AM
Yes, lwcad would make this so much easier probably...just had a go at approaching it..which I havenīt followed through properly.
I ended up using inkscape and drawing the shapes, and finally using object to path and stroke to path and making sure itīs the shame thickness,
then union all those pieces, the angled frame parts I simply rotated at a certain angle.

then just export to eps and extruded a tiny bit, now..this may work if thatīs all you need, but you may want to round edges a bit with chamfer or rounder, then you need to clean it up ..
which I later did after posting that image, that means using connect between points or the make poly command when adressing certain areas and points,
so I finally got a version that I could round decently, though rounding with the native tool for this whole section isnīt that good, worked better in blender to round.

As hrgiger says, you need to plan out the segments in advance, and make sure you have enough segments from scratch as well so it holds up at a certain close render,
will see if I can make it more effecient in modeling purely in native lw modeler, or if I can make the shapes easier and more accurate in inkscape before export,
you would still have to adress the intersection of the frames with the connect tool and some other tools if you want nice rounding after extrusion.

profiler and realtime booleans would help, lwcad may be an option in the future..but I am also currently trying learn and use more of blender stuff...
and I reckon box cutter and hardops is a must, so those plugins may be priority before lw cad, it also depends on what happens in native lw modeler anytime soon as well.

But anyway, good that I finally got eps to work when I use inkscape and lightwave, autoaxis drill works too, not as slick as svg format to blender wich maintains color for each segment,
and it maintains the curves as handles when imported to blender in a much better way than eps can work for Lightwave.

I did the frame trace construction manually with a background image of an arched window in inkscape

As for native lw model, you could simply draw a flat disc in back view, delete bottom half and extend that bottom half end down, find that seem to be easier than drawing an arch..
you just need to be aware of the proper radius, then bevel inset to created the first arch profile frame,
then do it again with the inside frame arch, then you could adress the horizontal frames quite easy, copy them and rotate for the angled frame parts..
the hard part would be to connect them to the arched framed properly.

Iīm gonna do some blender sessions as well and see whatīs more comfortable to work with, you go the wire tool to adress sections there,
there is also the archimesh panel windows in blener which can use some arched windows, but donīt think it has this kind of framing to set up.
One advantage there may be that the rounding resolution is parametrical and can be changed at anytime.

raymondtrace
08-16-2019, 06:41 AM
This is hiding in the forums...

NuArchitect

prometheus
08-16-2019, 07:15 AM
This is hiding in the forums...

NuArchitect

You know what..that one has passed me by..though yet free to test and use though donations is welcome, why?
to many zipfiles to download one at the time, and then the installation process...
Installation which he himself admits may be a bif confusing.
Hope he finds the time to create single download packages and installation process easier, then make afuzz on it on his website which he currently doesnīt, I think that could attract more people.
But to early to tell since I havenīt installed it yet.

The zipfilel of the scripts and help files can be found here..
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php/156517-nuArchitect-bundle-V4-released

Installation:
The files from the file nuArchitectV4LS.zip should be placed in your LW-Pluginpath
Than create a Folder (no matter where, no matter how you Name it) Lets say "nuSoft".
Create a subfolder of this Folder and Name it "Help"
In this "Help" Folder create 3 Folders and Name them "css", "img" and "js"
All Files from nuArchitectV4css.zip (there is only 1) should be placed in the Folder "css"
All files from nuArchitectV4js.zip (there is only 1) should be placed in the Folder "js"
All files from the files nuArchitectV4img1.zip - nuArchitectV4img6.zip should be placed in the Folder "img"
All files from the nuArchitectV4html.zip should be placed in the Folder "Help"
All files from nuArchitectV4dat.zip should be placed in the "nuSoft" Folder (the first Folder you have created)

But I may give it a go, though If anyone knows if the kind of arched windows I made here is possible with this plugin?

One basic thing he could do, or someone could do to help out, that is to sort in all the files in the corresponding folders that he recommends, as a base start, pack it in to One single zip file once done, and all you have to do as a user is to pack it up in to desired main plugin folder, like thirdparty/NuARchitect...which then contains all subfolders and files properly places therein.

Kryslin
08-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Yes, you can use NuArchitect. Quite a number of useful plugins in that set.

How would I model an arched window?
1) Start with a default disc, centered on the origin. bevel it, inset it some amount. Then, collapse the polygon. delete all the triangles that are below the Y axis. select the internal edges, connect.
2) Select the four bottom edges, and extrude (e) then translate down. repeat 4 times.
3) In the arched section select groups of 3 sections, fuse (z) them together. You should now have your basic window outline.
4) Bevel everything, be sure to check the new surface box. This gives you your muntins, surface already assigned.
5) The outer edge isn't the correct thickness, so you'll have to adjust it. I used Scale (H), around the origin, on the outer edge of the shape. Adjust as needed.
6) Select your new surface, set up in 4). Cut and Paste the geometry, then thicken.
7) Select the remainder of the geometry, thicken. Adjust position so that glass is centered in muntins.
8) Press F3
9) Add transparency to glass surface.
10) Add your edge bevels, or use an edge shader on the muntins' surface.
11) Done.

(Apologies for the crap render.)

prometheus
08-16-2019, 08:52 AM
Yes, you can use NuArchitect. Quite a number of useful plugins in that set.

How would I model an arched window?
1) Start with a default disc, centered on the origin. bevel it, inset it some amount. Then, collapse the polygon. delete all the triangles that are below the Y axis. select the internal edges, connect.
2) Select the four bottom edges, and extrude (e) then translate down. repeat 4 times.
3) In the arched section select groups of 3 sections, fuse (z) them together. You should now have your basic window outline.
4) Bevel everything, be sure to check the new surface box. This gives you your muntins, surface already assigned.
5) The outer edge isn't the correct thickness, so you'll have to adjust it. I used Scale (H), around the origin, on the outer edge of the shape. Adjust as needed.
6) Select your new surface, set up in 4). Cut and Paste the geometry, then thicken.
7) Select the remainder of the geometry, thicken. Adjust position so that glass is centered in muntins.
8) Press F3
9) Add transparency to glass surface.
10) Add your edge bevels, or use an edge shader on the muntins' surface.
11) Done.

(Apologies for the crap render.)

I start of with a disc to if I were to model in lw only, but not collapsing, I usally delete bottom half and extend that down that gives me the arch and the full window main frame...will try your approach though.

anyway...doing as I do, and use connect to connect the points to create the angled frame part then copy the edges..delete polys, send to blender and use skin modifier..add decimate and use planar. to reduce the frame divisions.and you got a decent frame work going on, this is much faster than going the route of inkscape as I did, I get completely accurate connections for the angled parts.
Havent tried yet..I could just skip using edges and keep it polys and send to blender and use wire modifier instead.

I installed and tried nuArchitecht a bit, but in order to do arched windows the way we need..I think I must be able to use a framework already made and get that in to nugraph library..but I get protest that it can not write to c:path ...probably an issue with admin rights or protected folders, by default the path was set to external drive D: which I changed, will look in to that later.

I might be able to compile all the zipfiles in to one zipfiles and all files organized in to proper folders as suggested and post back here if I am allowed to by Kanzo, may be able to create a branch for all the menus needed as well.

raymondtrace
08-16-2019, 09:19 AM
...I installed and tried nuArchitecht a bit, but in order to do arched windows the way we need..I think I must be able to use a framework already made and get that in to nugraph library...

Correct, the nuArchitect library has some limits and would not produce the identical window you proposed. It is just a nice add on to keep in your pocket when one of its features matches what you need.

prometheus
08-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Correct, the nuArchitect library has some limits and would not produce the identical window you proposed. It is just a nice add on to keep in your pocket when one of its features matches what you need.

Yup...I have a few more menus from the script to add before I can make a complete branch and pack all that stuff together for future easy installments.

And yes, I need to solve the write error within the library..if one is supposed to make the most of it with your own profiles to add.

I am almost there now in my approach to do the arched windows in a very easy and fast way..just in lightwave native, need to repeat the processes a couple of time, not only should it be simple and fast, it must produce proper framework that can be rounded properly as well, I believe it could be a faster process with less steps than kryslin is suggesting.

the NuArchitect..I forgot to test a window script, I noticed there was fix also that I need to check, but anyway it seems to work with lw 2019.1

Kryslin
08-16-2019, 09:38 AM
I came up with this to develop Shoji screens and lattice work windows for my Japanese style 10 Mat Room, ironically to make my oriental window presets for LWCAD. :)

prometheus
08-16-2019, 10:22 AM
I came up with this to develop Shoji screens and lattice work windows for my Japanese style 10 Mat Room, ironically to make my oriental window presets for LWCAD. :)

If I were to follow your instructed process, collapsing polygons after a bevel would only yield a point in the middle..nothing else.
Edit..ahh...you beveled outside not inside.

And by the way, e isnīt extrude...it is extend, so you donīt confuse anyone.

And z" ? that is redo...You mean merge polys right? +z which is shift-z

But...yes, after revisiting, your approach may be the fastest.

The process can be faster perhaps,if you in the order select the polys to merge before you extend the bottom, and you also mirror first afte the merge of poys is done.
and for further precising, when you bevel..it should be pointed out that the polys should be selected and not beveled unselected though that should mean all is selected, the collapse tool wouldnīt behave the same.

Thanks Kryslin for giving additional help to make this fast to model.

prometheus
08-16-2019, 11:01 AM
You can also use the capsule tool in z direction, that way you do not have to select arch edges and connect, but questionable if it would be faster since you have to go through other steps such as flatten it with value 0 at z axis, then merge points and unify polys.
Set segments til 2...you have the advantage of setting the radius correct for what you want from start, as opposed to bevel it in the previous method.

To sum it up, I would skip my initial approach of Inkscaping it and eps export import to lightwave, I would also probably skip blender import and us wire or skin.
-Stick to kryslins process or change it a bit and use capsule as I mentioned.

Rayek
08-16-2019, 01:47 PM
How about Blender's built-in addon Archimesh-->Panel Window? Non-destructive arched panel windows, and a good start. Takes halve a minute to create a good base panel window with simple tweaking options. Adding the remaining arch geometry by hand is a matter of minutes.

http://i68.tinypic.com/o6ck21.png

erikals
08-16-2019, 02:03 PM
not perfect, and bad audio, but...

https://youtu.be/6YcSDwhsUgY

- - - Updated - - -

https://forums.newtek.com/image.php?u=65013&dateline=1444843885  How about Blender's built-in addon Archimesh-->Panel Window?
yepzi, saw it yesterday. quite nice.

can't do this tho' ?
> nuArchitect
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/05kwZWhYAjY/hqdefault.jpg

Rayek
08-16-2019, 02:12 PM
can't do this tho' ?
> nuArchitect
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/05kwZWhYAjY/hqdefault.jpg

LOL, no :-)

Somebody might come up with a procedural cathedral generator someday!

erikals
08-16-2019, 02:33 PM
They will.  https://i.imgur.com/bcwLfNX.gif

Been looking into Blender lately. Some very nice stuff, but some stuff that i found LightWave was better at.

I might make a Blender <> LightWave Bridge using AHK when the time comes. Ain't gonna happen soon.

2.80 is nice. 2.79 not so much.

But nice to see both apps having their potential, and together forming a strong Union.

-------

Not going to go into details, since it always creates a "war" amongst certain parties.   https://i.imgur.com/2qT111I.gif

erikals
08-16-2019, 03:37 PM
somewhat related, plugin >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYSXs8WbWwE

prometheus
08-16-2019, 03:38 PM
How about Blender's built-in addon Archimesh-->Panel Window? Non-destructive arched panel windows, and a good start. Takes halve a minute to create a good base panel window with simple tweaking options. Adding the remaining arch geometry by hand is a matter of minutes.

http://i68.tinypic.com/o6ck21.png

I did mention that previously in this thread in my post nr 4..but it canīt make that kind of windows...se quote down below..

And no Rayek, using archimesh to do this and then later add the arch geometry within minutes..that will actually take a longer time than doing it in Lightwave according to the methods Kryslin and I
went for.

"Iīm gonna do some blender sessions as well and see whatīs more comfortable to work with, you go the wire tool to adress sections there,
there is also the archimesh panel windows in blener which can use some arched windows, but donīt think it has this kind of framing to set up.
One advantage there may be that the rounding resolution is parametrical and can be changed at anytime. "

prometheus
08-16-2019, 03:47 PM
not perfect, and bad audio, but...

https://youtu.be/6YcSDwhsUgY
]

Good to have various alternatives..but I think you get involved in a bit too complicated operations to end the process here.
Kryslins is good...also try a capsule in z direction, you can set desired radius from the start, then just flatten it all with v and 0 value in z direction, merge points, and unify polygons.
merge the three sections, the remaining three sections in the top arch level, on one side then on the lower arch section, you could then just delete the mirror side and mirror the whole thing.

I need to record this.

erikals
08-17-2019, 07:28 AM
could also be of use >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl-mLxpTlEs

OlaHaldor
08-19-2019, 04:51 AM
I'm a fan of using lines and profiler in LWCAD.
(it's still processing at the time of posting. Will be HD soon enough)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vd6zyeJQcw

prometheus
08-19-2019, 07:50 AM
I'm a fan of using lines and profiler in LWCAD.
(it's still processing at the time of posting. Will be HD soon enough)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vd6zyeJQcw

Yes, good demonstration...and I would have like to have and use it too someday, Ivé tried it ..So I am aware of what it is capbable of.

Iīll get the point, then again..the process is taking longer time than actually doing it natively with the method kryslin described or what I suggested with a capsule to start with.
LW cad may be more flexible and more exact ..and especially when you want something not exactly built upon the method we described.

For example..you copy a horizontal line, then pull it to the side and then clone it three times, and you need to specify the amount of offset, now...if you would just have selected the bottom part below the arch..in polymode (which you canīt do right there if using lines) and just hit "l" for connect 2 times, then you would have your 3 horizontal splits made with two clicks, such split works only on polys and if you already have a center split, if you would have selected it in edge mode, you would only get one split and would have to reselect and split again.

Edit ...checking basic primitives, the superquadric tool will let you create an arch faster than what I described with using a capsule, the superquadric tool letīyou set a zero z depth length, you wonīt have to flatten it, only set bulge settings as in the image sample, then delete bottom half...rest of the process is extending and dissolve or merge polygons in the arched sections, then bevel the framing.

https://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=145785&d=1566224255

jbrookes
08-19-2019, 12:16 PM
Or you could:
- place the image of the window in the background (front view)
- create the outer polygon (points on one side, mirrored across Y-axis, select, and P for polygon)
(use a half circle for the arch, like in the other examples people here have shown)
- create the rectangles for the windows on the left side
(scale or stretch copies of the arch curve points for the curved arch windows and make them into polygons too)
- Mirror the polys across the Y-axis
- Drill -> Stencil the windows (windows in foreground and outline polygon in background)
- select the windows and cut and paste them to another layer
- select the face surface of the drilled polygon that comprise the frame
- Extrude the frame
- Paste the window polygons into the frame and move them on Z-axis until they're inset as far as you want them to be.

You could use this technique with pretty much any version of LightWave.

That also gives you the option to do all kinds of crazy bevels and to independently mess with the glass geometry, if you so wish.

OlaHaldor
08-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Does it matter how long it takes to make the initial window model if you're going to use it over and over again?
Once you have it, you can do things like this. Pre-made boolean shape, ready to go. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cRHC-D3Ako

OlaHaldor
08-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Aaand you can reuse the curves to create variations with different profiles. Even engrave a poly loop to add even more fine detail.
Get on that LWCAD train! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454PQi6E29s

erikals
08-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Does it matter how long it takes to make the initial window model if you're going to use it over and over again?
Once you have it, you can do things like this. Pre-made boolean shape, ready to go. :)
True.

Get on that LWCAD train! :)
Agree, if you use LightWave professionally, there is no reason not to.

Thanks for the Vidz!   https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

Ma3rk
08-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Good to see you popping up here Ola and particularly good to see someone who is proficient with using LWCad put out some fresh vids. Viktor tends to rush over some things that really need to be touched on each time (such as the newish selection process) that I at least tend to forget how to use since I'm not using it every day.

I'm specially glad you showed how to effectively use the Profiler tool though.

- - - Updated - - -

Good to see you popping up here Ola and particularly good to see someone who is proficient with using LWCad put out some fresh vids. Viktor tends to rush over some things that really need to be touched on each time (such as the newish selection process) that I at least tend to forget how to use since I'm not using it every day.

I'm specially glad you showed how to effectively use the Profiler tool though.

prometheus
08-19-2019, 04:40 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cRHC-D3Ako

Yes, for everyone who wantīs to know the fastest way to do it, and for everyone who doesnīt have lwcad..nor intend to get it.

And yes, once you have made the profil outline, why not reuse it instead of going through the process again everytime you need a window, makes no sense, unless you plan to add divisions etc, in that case for similar processes and results, it matters on how fast and simply you can make it...that was my point, not a competition on who can make it faster....the speed difference is negliable perhaps, but always good to know absolute fastest way..I think.

Once you have it and emphazise it with "which can do this and that"...that is however quite irrelevant for the question on how to model a window arch, it is a good time and option for promoting lwcad though, and
for presenting the workflow and easy of use...that is of course some of the greatness with lw cad.

Pre made booleans is cool in lw-cad, no doubt about it, native booleans takes a bit longer..but you can simply keep an outline of your window in native lightwave based on the outline edges,or the full polyprofil, extend or extrued it with depth and keep it in a seperate layer, then when you clone or array clone that and the windows, you can just use them to boolean in to the building, and it would be just as fine..not as elegant as with realtime booleans..but it works.

prometheus
08-19-2019, 04:46 PM
True.

Agree, if you use LightWave professionally, there is no reason not to.

 https://i.imgur.com/tJGL61i.png

I donīt, I used to though.
Makes no sense to get lw cad now for me that is, and when I think about it...it made no sense to get the latest Lightwave release at all, being a hobbyist currently :)
It just so happened that I liked some stuff in there ..and just was compelled to get it.

prometheus
08-19-2019, 04:48 PM
Or you could:
- place the image of the window in the background (front view)
- create the outer polygon (points on one side, mirrored across Y-axis, select, and P for polygon)
(use a half circle for the arch, like in the other examples people here have shown)
- create the rectangles for the windows on the left side
(scale or stretch copies of the arch curve points for the curved arch windows and make them into polygons too)
- Mirror the polys across the Y-axis
- Drill -> Stencil the windows (windows in foreground and outline polygon in background)
- select the windows and cut and paste them to another layer
- select the face surface of the drilled polygon that comprise the frame
- Extrude the frame
- Paste the window polygons into the frame and move them on Z-axis until they're inset as far as you want them to be.

You could use this technique with pretty much any version of LightWave.

That also gives you the option to do all kinds of crazy bevels and to independently mess with the glass geometry, if you so wish.

Yes other options, fingers crossed here...seems like itīs taking quite a bit longer time to do than some of the processes already described, and I am not sure of accuracy with that method?

prometheus
08-19-2019, 05:34 PM
I donīt, I used to though.
Makes no sense to get lw cad now for me that is, and when I think about it...it made no sense to get the latest Lightwave release at all, being a hobbyist currently :)
It just so happened that I liked some stuff in there ..and just was compelled to get it.

I must agree though, that if I once again would start to work professionally with Lightwave and modeling, LWcad would be in the top list.

OlaHaldor
08-20-2019, 08:35 AM
To be fair you opened this thread with a question how LWCAD users would do it :)
I'm (trying to at last.. I'm looking for a job, in case anyone sees this) doing 3D as a professional, but I'm not using LW and LWCAD on an everyday basis. I'm still on LW2015, and see no reason to upgrade yet. LWCAD is a whole other beast though. Worth every penny if you're stuck in LW land and do any kind of houses, fencing, pipes etc.

Good to see you popping up here Ola and particularly good to see someone who is proficient with using LWCad put out some fresh vids.
I'm happy to share. And I'm happy someone sees the value. :)

prometheus
08-20-2019, 09:44 AM
To be fair you opened this thread with a question how LWCAD users would do it :)
I'm (trying to at last.. I'm looking for a job, in case anyone sees this) doing 3D as a professional, but I'm not using LW and LWCAD on an everyday basis. I'm still on LW2015, and see no reason to upgrade yet. LWCAD is a whole other beast though. Worth every penny if you're stuck in LW land and do any kind of houses, fencing, pipes etc.

I'm happy to share. And I'm happy someone sees the value. :)

I welcomed your input highly...dont let my comments on the approch let you think otherwise.

to be fair..its a discussion that ultimately always should be compared with the premise of" how to do it" built in to the topic

Ma3rk
08-21-2019, 01:09 AM
As with most things in life & software, there's always more than one way of removing the dermis of the proverbial feline.

Taking the position of "Hobbyist" vs. "Profession" though in my mind is moot, & somewhat self defeating. I know a number of "hobbyists" who could frankly put many "professionals" to shame in their field.

But we all have to deal with the same common, limiting factor: Time.

I'm a "hobbyist" too in that I don't make a living with CG. I'm not trying to, or at least not directly. That could change.

Yes, it's worthwhile to know how to do something with the basic tools; knowledge never goes out of style (although you'd certainly be hard pressed to find examples in current day). You always work with what you have & know, but if better tools are available and allows me to work faster, more efficiently, and of most importance with easily understandable and often with non-destructable steps, and for a price equal to a few hours of work, why wouldn't I go with that tool? Pride I did it natively? Cost? Phfft! What is your time worth to you?

Time is the real, non-renewable resource, not money. And at this point I've a bit more of one than the other, so perhaps that colors my view.

Just my proverbial 2Ē.

erikals
08-21-2019, 01:52 AM
Taking the position of "Hobbyist" vs. "Profession" though in my mind is moot, & somewhat self defeating.
I know a number of "hobbyists" who could frankly put many "professionals" to shame in their field.

From my point, it was more about Professionals have the cash to fork out for LWcad.
Hobbyists might not have that luxury.

Yes, quite a few Hobbyists have major skills.

Marander
08-21-2019, 03:03 AM
Time is the real, non-renewable resource, not money. And at this point I've a bit more of one than the other, so perhaps that colors my view.

Exactly. Get the tools that you can work efficiently with, hobbyist or pro, if you can afford it.

Using software just because it's free or low priced or wasting time with tedious workarounds or bad workflows as well as outdated hardware is not a good decision in my opinion, except one is jobless or a hobbyist who doesn't have money. That doesn't mean free or cheap software is bad of course but using it where it makes sense but not just based on its price.

It should be fun if it's a hobby and efficient and possibly an industry standard in the specific line of work for pros.

I mean 3D creation is already a cheap hobby, most others cost much more money (motor racing, sports clubs, travel, diving, collections of expensive stuff, design cloth etc.). Or generally life with all its pleasures like nice cars, family / kids, going out, good food, house, pets etc.

I'm technical interested in 3D software, so I don't mind spending a couple of thousands on good software and plugins I like (and use up-to-date hardware).

prometheus
08-21-2019, 08:37 AM
I agree with Marander and Mark, however..at least for me personally...
Thereīs also an element of pushing your brain to solve a task, which should be of benefit for your brain when solving other tasks, though that element may be in contradiction to what I pointed out about time, and the fastest way of doing an arch..and where I pointed out that some methods would take longer time to do, but this doesnīt necessary have to be in conflict with eachother, it all depends on the situation, if you have the time..you can probably use it to engage your brain with solving those tasks..and hopefully that will be of benefit at other times, if you have a lot more to do with your time..then it would of course be more practical perhaps to buy your time in the sense of getting a tool that can do the job.

Marander
08-21-2019, 08:42 AM
Thereīs also an element of pushing your brain to solve a task, which should be of benefit for your brain when solving other tasks

Well I do that all the time in my day job, so for me as hobbyist, 3D must be fun. Also a reason I do little coding in 3D apps even if it's easy. However I don't mind complex tasks if its not a tedious workaround for something that can be done much easier in another app or plugin. For a pro that needs to earn money for their time spent, I would assume speed / efficiency is crucial.

prometheus
08-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Well I do that all the time in my day job, so for me as hobbyist, 3D must be fun. Also a reason I do little coding in 3D apps even if it's easy. However I don't mind complex tasks if its not a tedious workaround for something that can be done much easier in another app or plugin. For a pro that needs to earn money for their time spent, I would assume speed / efficiency is crucial.

Solving a specific task in 3d is fun mostly, and stimulating for me anwyay, but it of course can only go so far, in daytimes job not related to 3d, itīs for me often a completely different skillset needed and tasks ahead, so a different brain engagement for sure, where I find it more stimulating and creative to find a solution or workaround in 3D, such as tasks like this.
But sure..at some point you will most likely run in to situations where your creativity may not be enough, and you may need a special tool for it, wether it is a plugin or simply us another 3D software.