PDA

View Full Version : KEYING...Problem solver for DV

Radiowave
01-06-2004, 07:45 AM
I am a new VT3 and Digital Fusion 4 user and have found an amazing tool for "KEYING" especially for DV footage....and it comes with virtual sets as well.

The Product is called ULTRA KEY from serious magic at:

www.seriousmagic.com

We almost bought Ultimatte Advantage at almost twice the price of ULTRA KEY...thank god we heard about it from Paul Laura.

It comes with many virtual sets with built in camera tracking that will match your footage with the environment and each virtual set has many different angles, frames...Wide, tight etc.... some even have moving platforms and desks. The sets even have secondary and additional monitors built into the scenes to place footage and other info for realisim. Additionally, there will be new virtual sets created that can be purchased for added convenience.

You can even use stills as backgrounds, use your own virtual sets or just render out the file as .avi with alpha for any usage with any program you wish for whatever purpose you wish.

You can even use it live...I believe. (not sure though...it has that option in the input panel) just have not had time to try it though for that particular function.

If offers amazingly complete control over every possible aspect of keying that can be thought of (at least to my eyes) and what's more is

"IT ACTUALLY WORKS".

I highly recommend this product since it up-converts 4:1:1 dv footage to supposedly 4:4:4 color space for the new "Vector" keying software to do its stuff... it's supposed to be quite revolutionary and singularly unique....and so far I believe the claim... beacause it has worked for me and in just a very short time investment of a couple of minutes.

Just wanted to help out my fellow travellers on the long road to greatness with minimal effort....or as close to it as possible.

SKOL (norwegian for cheers),

Radiowave
[email protected]
Kansas....my own personal slice of OZ!

Aegis
01-06-2004, 11:07 AM
I was under the impression that Digital Fusion came with a pretty powerful keying module (it's an optional extra for DFX+) - was that not up to the job?

prospector
01-06-2004, 11:33 AM
Maby Newtek could work out a deal with serious magic and get us a 'lite' version.
maby cut the virtual sets, camera tracking, and such and get a good keyer.

Radiowave
01-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Hi Aegis,

We are, as I believe I have stated earlier, new to Digital Fusion....Really new. It's very advanced and we are not up to speed on Digital Fusion 4. I am going to have to hire a trainer to come in and train us on Digital Fusion 4 so we can quickly get up to speed.

However, I do not know of any built in solution for DV keying inside of Digital Fusion 4 that will perform as efortlessly as Ultra Key. They have everything else covered it seems except for that. They have very advanced keying inside of Digital Fusion 4 but it's not optimized for DV and will not produce the results that Ultra Key will.

Aside from that Digital Fusion 4 does not have virtual sets with built in monitors for display of other footage etc... inside the virtual sets.

The only keyer that I have heard about after extensive searching that will up-sample DV's limited compressed color space of 4:1:1 to 4:4:4 is Ultimatte's "Advantage" software which is about double the same price and does not come with any virtual sets.

Digital Fusion will up convert 4:2:2 footage to 4:4:4 but cannot start at 4:1:1 and up convert.

This "Ultra-Key" product certainly fills a huge niche for people who want "High-End" looks without the high-end cost of cameras with better color space.

Go check it out at their website at www.seriousmagic.com and let me know what you think of it.

Radiowave

view3d
01-09-2004, 12:18 AM
http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11632

be curious to see how this performs....

prospector
01-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Wow, chrominator looks really good

And only 89 bucks.

Maby an RTV plug-in for it??
Someone??

Paul Lara
01-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by prospector
Maby an RTV plug-in for it??

That's not immediately necessary, since VT[3] can capture or convert any of your files to uncompressed AVI, or you could even wrap your files in VT-Edit as an AVI, to feed into Chrominator.

prospector
01-10-2004, 11:10 AM
VT3 hu?
I only got VT2 and am still afraid to open my 7.5 LW upgrade untill I see what the process will be about the 7.5 in VT3 and path to 8.

I upgraded LW and forgot about the 7.5 that comes with VT3 and only 100 more.

But got the free 8 upgrade, VT upgrade to LW8??

And if I open LW7.5 I might not be able to return it.

I would rather keep it all in the VT suite instead of seperated,
Is there a plug to tie LW 8 to the VT??
Maby I can go that way.