PDA

View Full Version : Printing spreadsheet

Jean
01-06-2004, 06:26 AM
I would love to have the possibility to print the spreadsheet.

We are doing our paper edit list, which comes with our master tapes, by hand for now, copying exactly what the spreadsheet is showing.

Jim Capillo
01-06-2004, 07:47 AM
I haven't tried it, but capturing the spreadsheet screen with <Shift/Print Screen> then sending it to your favorite paint program for printing might work.

Ivan
01-06-2004, 07:57 AM
I believe another essential item has been left out of the Spreadsheet view. There should be a sort function. At least you should be able to click on the name at the top and have the clips sorted, like in the Windows file requester where you can sort by name, size, type, or modified. I believe this is essential in making the Spreadsheet more usefull.

I recently helped someone upgrade to a new computer and all the clips and projects were archived. When we reloaded the projects we had to re-address the paths. Go through the Spreadsheet and select them one by one and select the new path. If we would have been able to sort by path or by comment or anything we could have held the shift key, selected first and last of a group and done them all at once. I know it's just a picky little thing but it would be a great time saver not to mention all the other benefits.

Ivan

Jean
01-06-2004, 09:37 AM
The print screen is a good workaround.
thx.

I still would like to see a "print spreadsheet" so I could have a black on white document, with his cute little colored thumbnails, right away.

Totally agree with you Ivan.

bradl
01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Ivan
There should be a sort function... I believe this is essential in making the Spreadsheet more usefull.

...When we reloaded the projects we had to re-address the paths. Go through the Spreadsheet and select them one by one and select the new path...I have had to do the exact same thing and it is a real pain. I had to reassociate about 400 clips and stills. Of course you can CNTL click a large selection but having to scroll down and identify the entries while maintaining the selected ones above is a tedious. On top of that when I had a large selection, say a dozen or more, sometimes after the reassociate some of the clips would actually jump around on the timeline or get reordered. In the end I ended up doing most of them one by one!

It appears as if Timeline, Storyboard and Spreadsheet are the exact same thing just skinned differently. If true, then sorting the Spreadsheet would not be allowed as it would scramble your EDL.

Ivan
01-07-2004, 08:45 AM
I understand what you are saying about it scrambling the timeline/storyboard because they are connected. The code to sort is written, check the filebin. Now all they have to do is make it so that it is connected to the Storyboard/Timaline in such a way that order does not matter. What can be so hard? It's only ones and zeros... ;)

Ivan

bradl
01-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Ivan
...The code to sort is written, check the filebin...But a Filebin, aka Folder, is free to be sorted, but sorting a Timeline could put your Open at the Closing and your L/3 over your FS! Egads!

Obviously, it could be coded to work by using some sort of array or virtual database to sort on the fly, then re-order it back as you exit SS, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Ivan
01-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Actually I don't think we need to see the order of the clips in the speadsheet view, it should show us the names and the locations of the clips. If you want to see the order, open up the Storyboard. The Spreadsheet should be just that, a spreadsheet and order is determined by the sort order that the user chooses. If they base it on the name and physical location of the clips rather than the order in the project this would be a fairly simple fix and changing the order of the clips in the Spreadsheet would not affect the order in the project. Sure, you'd give up seeing things in order in the Spreadsheet but why have what amounts to two Storyboard/small icon views.

Ivan

bradl
01-07-2004, 12:25 PM
Ivan,

I agree with you but just to clarify my point, I am fairly convinced that the current SpreadSheet function is in fact only a different view of the Timeline, i.e. it is not a generated listing of assests in your Timeline... it IS your Timeline.

So for us to enjoy the benefits of Sort or Filter, a whole new Function or a serious re-write of the existing code would have to be done...

Ivan
01-07-2004, 01:08 PM
I agree with most of what you are saying except that I am not convinced that it will take a rewrite of the current code, most likely redoing parts of it but not so bad as a rewrite. Keep in mind that Newtek built this system to improve it as time went on. That should mean that maintaining it should be one of the first considerations in writing the code. Make it easy to change. I hope that this is what they did.

Ivan

Jean
04-02-2004, 07:55 AM
I created a photoshop action to transform the spreadsheet in printable edit list, A4 format.

Works for 3200*1200 printed screen (Printscreen -> Ctrl-N->Ctrl-V in Photoshop.)
Ted need to be snaped on the left side, Spreadsheet in full frame(F2)

It's not perfect but I think it would be a good material for those who need that kind of thing.

Before launching it, change the path of my Logo to yours, and make sure you have the same font, or change it in the Action.

Good luck ;)

Jean
04-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Here is the file