PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave... 3D Game Design?

SamuraiSlayer
01-05-2004, 08:35 PM
so i got lightwave, which if i didn't have a religion i would worship lightwave's creators, but anyways, i got 3d models and scenes and stuff and i just wanna make a basic game out of them, so what programming language do i need, where's some tutorials, IS ANYONE ELSE DOING THIS SAME THING?, will i need directx for it, WHAT DOES DIRECTX DO, and one of my long time questions is: Why does it take so long to render in LW (and other 3d programs) but video games render in real-time?

Ok i think i'm done putting my mind into my reply...

js33
01-05-2004, 09:29 PM
hmmm so many questions so little time.

Well if you want to know what DirectX is or does go to:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx?url=/windows/directx/productinfo/overview/

If you want to program with it download the SDK.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/nhp/Default.asp?contentid=28000410

As to why LW and other 3D programs take longer to render.

The short answer is quality.

Games rely on the Graphics card and they take alot of hacks and shortcuts to speed up rendering.

Read up on some game engines.

I would just download a game engine and start there instead of trying to program one unless you are a really experienced graphics programmer.

Cheers,
JS

wok
01-05-2004, 11:14 PM
check out

http://www.lostpencil.com/

there is a cd in which a basic game is made with lightwave and 3d Game Studio

http://conitec.net/a4info.htm

SamuraiSlayer
01-06-2004, 01:08 PM
ok thx for the help guyz, feel free to post more stuff, ideas, creations, and anything else to keep me distracted from this 3d horror of a game project that ima start on

samartin
01-06-2004, 01:17 PM
You could try this, it imports LWO's, dunno about UV textured LWO's etc...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Products/_index_.php

But the programmer behind Tattoo uses this for his texturing tool, so I reckon LWO files will go across into it in their full entirety...

Good Luck

SamuraiSlayer
01-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Ok NewTek, I talked to God yesterday, he says he wants you to make a game design program integrated into LW8, and he wants LW8 released... tomorrow... and... FREE... and... with all the plug-ins... and... Ok i kno i fooled you there for a sec, God didn't tell me all that but he did say he wants the game design integrated into LW8...

stone
01-07-2004, 03:56 AM
directx is a 3d api, put very basicly you program for directx and it offers you a series of 3d funtions across a range of graphics cards.

as for the programming languange, you can use anything you feel like. c++ is the best choice for flexibility, speed and freedom. but you can use java, c, c#, basic, pascal, anything really.

concerning speed differences between a 3d application adn a game is due to a number of reasons. first, they are two completly different things and cant be compared just like that. secondly, a 3d app produces high quality realistic pictures while a gameengine basicly uses every cheat and shortcut imaginable to achive their performance. thirdly, a 3d app is unlimited and can render anything, while a game engine often is extremly limited only being capable of showcaseing the very limited subset of 3d graphics that the current game needs.

to tell you the truth it sounds like you havnt got much clue about neither 3d and particular not game programming. to put it simple; you dont just create a state of the art 3d game engine. it takes years for teams of experienced programmers.

and lastely game design intergrated into a 3d application is nothing more than a few exporter formats. if you are to make your own engine, you would probably have to write an exporter to your own custom format either way.

/stone

samartin
01-07-2004, 06:35 AM
Stone

Have you by chance had a look at Blitz3d ??? I would be interested on hearing your take on the product as you seem to have some experience in that kinda environment...

The link I supplied above, I have to say it does look intriguing to me and looks easy 'enuff to get a grasp with programming simple routines, etc... I was quite impressed when running in Fullscreen mode at 32bit depth rather than windowed, ie. I'm sure my FX5600Go (P4 3.06) was hitting at least 60fps with most examples on there, although quite basic examples...

stone
01-07-2004, 02:48 PM
only experience i have with blitz3d goes back to the amiga version which must be atleast 10 years ago by now. either way, if its still the same program, its a variant of basic., hence you can only push it so far before you hit some heavy limitations.

but look at it this way. we know it takes years of hard practice to become a good artist and understand how 3d works. its the same for coding, and not something you just do. especially not if you want to be making something in the line of a quality 3d engine. if you are serious about programming a real 3d engine i would recommend you take a master degree in matemathics and computerscience at the university and practice your coding skills meanwhile, then you should have the basic understanding of it.

obviously you can settle for less. if you already know programming, it doesnt take to much work to read a 3d model and display it.

/stone

SamuraiSlayer
01-08-2004, 07:46 PM
so what i guess i dont understand is this:

do you have to create a whole new layout suited to fit your game needs, or can you in some way make it work with layout, which seems just very stupid...

ok can someone tell me how blitz3d works??

stone
01-09-2004, 12:49 PM
hmm, what you create in your 3d application is the models and animations. then you export/save them in a format that your 3d engine can read.

what the 3d engine does is read the obejcts you have created and displays them as well as add all the game logic, controls and all that sutff.

this is _very_ basicly_ how it works. the only connection between the 3d application and the engine is the the objects.

so what you could do, was to create a 3d engine which can read a series of .lwo objects and display them, as well as handle combat and what have we. this is for example _basicly_ how doom3 works.

/stone

SamuraiSlayer
01-09-2004, 12:55 PM
omg i thought i got banned or something there for a sec, i tried to post, and it kept sayin i didn't have access, but then i noticed it was because i clicked on the link in hotmail and hotmail put it's little frame at the top of the page, making the cookies not work

ok you dont care about that

so what you're saying is kinda like... you make your own layout, right?

stone
01-09-2004, 01:09 PM
lets take doom3 for an example.

what they have is roughly;
- lightwave to create the models and objects and animate them.
- they programed an editor to create and set up levels, using their lightwave objects.
- they have a 3d engine which will load and display the levels and handle the game logic.

what you could do was create the entire levels in layout and have your engine load that. however, there isnt much of layouts functionalty actually required to create a level for a 3d engine, and on the other hand, there is a lot of game specific stuff lacking from layot compared to a dedicated game editor.

the 3d engine itself, however, havnt got the slightest thing to do with layout or lightwave altogether, except for the fact that it reads the object/scene files.

/stone

-----
and yes, maya was used for animation, but this was just a simple example ..

Lalin
03-15-2004, 03:38 PM
SamuraiSlayer,

To say that you want to make a game, taking into account your knowledge (as you describe it) of DirectX, etc...
Is like saying that you want to get to the moon...

But I tell you this my friend, if you are serious about it, and if it has always been your dream to make games (like me, the desire, not that I make them (yet)), and if you says that you won't die until you make a game, if your desire and courage is bigger than the universe, YOU WILL.

Be patient, very patient...