PDA

View Full Version : Organisim

Zio
01-05-2004, 05:09 PM
I haven't posted anything new in these forums for quite some time. So I thought I would drop one of my latest LW renders for everyone to check out.

This scene was ridiculously simple to create. Almost too simple.

All comments welcome...

Chrysolithos
01-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Cool! So how do you get that scanning electron microscope look anyway?

archiea
01-05-2004, 06:38 PM
looks like fresnel-mania!!

Zio
01-05-2004, 07:19 PM
I'm sure there are a million different ways to achieve this microscopic look. I loved the look of the ghosts in the Final Fantasy movie, so I was inspired by their look.

I took a texturing approach to this render. In fact, there are no light sources in the scene. All detail is created through texture luminosity. Incedence angle was the other main texture attribute used to achieve the final look.

Here's a wireframe of the scene...

Zio
01-05-2004, 07:22 PM
BTW... No Fresnel shader was incorporated or any other additional texture shader.

Zio
01-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Here's another earlier test where I used a completly different method to achieve the same similar kind of look.

PaQ
01-08-2004, 09:44 AM
it's my favorite game too when I don't know what to do :D:D:D

(but I play more on the diffuse channel ;))

riki
01-08-2004, 07:16 PM
Mmm Yum-Oh "What's for dinner!"

Zio
01-08-2004, 07:23 PM
I like the very small little bubble detail you have going on there. Is that modeled geometry or teture work?

archiea
01-09-2004, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by Zio
BTW... No Fresnel shader was incorporated or any other additional texture shader.

How did you get it to look brighter on the edges?

Zio
01-09-2004, 08:55 AM
I used luminosity in the texture channel. And to make the surface more luminus on th edges than on the front, I controlled the luminosity with incedence angle.

Try it out. ;)

hybrid2829
01-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Its all in the gradients baby....
I just want to know how the make the back of the model all blurry and the front all sharp. yes yes im a lw noob.

Zio
01-10-2004, 10:03 PM
I can help you out there. The term you are looking for is Depth of Field or DOF. All you need to do is turn on your DOF in your camera settings and tweak the settings till you are happy. I suggest using at least medium anti aliasing.

For my DOF, I use a different technique called digital confusion since it's very easy to depict where the camera is in focus and I've liked the results from it as well.

Or you can always composte your render in a 2D post production environment such as Photoshop and blur the image manually.

Let me know how you make out and please post your renders here for all of us to see!

Thanx! Zio

Hewin
01-19-2004, 08:06 AM
This is my first ever attempt at anything with lightwave after 30mins of reading. I want to start modelling some more complex items tho:

http://www.danrhall.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/bug0001.jpg

veljko
01-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Nice first attempt!
I see you converted the object into splines?
When doing souch actions allways check out if you have any polygones that have not converetd -
Thoes rectangle polys at the tops of the tentacles in your cease-
They kinda stick out and should be converted to 3 point polygons, and then converted to splines with the rest of the object-

wellcome to the forums, and
have fun!:)

here is my stab at the organizam thingy- Ive posted it allready but anyways...:)