PDA

View Full Version : General LW and ArchVis question.

Tim Parsons
06-03-2019, 01:08 PM
I see this a lot with LW ArchVis artists and I just don't understand it - building up an interior with all the components in one big object file. See example:
145148(My apologies to this artist for stealing a grab from their YouTube.)

I don't see any advantages to working this way. What could it be? I have a library of props and I build my archvis scenes up in Layout. I do this because it just make sense to me to do it this way - If for some reason I need to make the content project specific I can always package the scene. Also I can use other mapping methods other than UV'ing every sticking piece of geometry plus it's easier to move things around in Layout. What am I missing? :)

RebelHill
06-03-2019, 01:15 PM
Dont think youre missing anything, aside from that different folk have different personal preferences in how they work. Personally, I prefer working as you describe, mostly, but that's just me.

Tim Parsons
06-03-2019, 01:19 PM
Yeah - I just don't see any benefits from it (and a lot of pitfalls), but I see this all the time so I thought I'd ask just in case.

Nicolas Jordan
06-03-2019, 01:56 PM
I built my arch viz scenes completely in Layout as well. I find that is the best way.

hrgiger
06-03-2019, 02:13 PM
It really depends on how heavy the object file is, but yes, the primary purpose of Layout is, you guessed it, laying out things. You generally save a scene file which references the object files. The one advantage that I can think of for having it in one object file is, you don't have to worry about the objects being referenced in a scene file being moved and possibly breaking links to the scene file (which is easy enough to fix but still...).

MonroePoteet
06-03-2019, 02:40 PM
In the screen capture shown, aren't there 11 objects in the Layers panel named Male_Exp_Retop, fem_retopo_RIG, Population1-3, Population2-3, etc.? Maybe the objects named "PopulationX-Y" are groups of furniture or something? Dunno.

Yes, I always model separate pieces of furniture and place them in Layout. Maybe he wanted "room settings" like in a furniture show room that he could move around as a group (yes, in that case I'd use a parent Null for the groupings of individual objects).

mTp

Ma3rk
06-03-2019, 04:09 PM
I see this a lot with LW ArchVis artists and I just don't understand it - building up an interior with all the components in one big object file. See example:
145148(My apologies to this artist for stealing a grab from their YouTube.)

I don't see any advantages to working this way. What could it be? I have a library of props and I build my archvis scenes up in Layout. I do this because it just make sense to me to do it this way - If for some reason I need to make the content project specific I can always package the scene. Also I can use other mapping methods other than UV'ing every sticking piece of geometry plus it's easier to move things around in Layout. What am I missing? :)

Might just be the way the project got exported, but I know what you mean. I've been doing a lot of translating lately of assets from Daz to Lightwave and run into this no matter what format, typically FBX or OBJ. Fortunately, it's moderately easy to pull the model into Modeler & start breaking things out to separate layers. Sometimes Layout's idea of syninc with Modelere is a bit different that what I think so sometimes have to load any new layer from the Object layer. Even so, each project seems to be a bit different & no one seems adhere to any naming convention so sometimes becomes a Snark hunt.

roboman
06-03-2019, 09:07 PM
I've been getting "blue" prints in one big file more and more. All the drawings layed out in a grid. I ask the newest engineer why he is drawing them that way. He said that is the way they showed him to at school, so none of the parts get lost or not sent to the client. Might be the same thing... or just personal style.

Tim Parsons
06-03-2019, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback fellas. Yes, I never thought it could be an imported file from some other application. But I see this so often that I had to ask and after using LW for these many years I thought maybe I didn't know what the heck I was doing. Still might not. :) Always something to learn it seems.