PDA

View Full Version : best educational materials??

DYNAGOD
01-05-2004, 03:17 PM
Theres 3dgarage, spline god,and a host of others..
But what is the best, most comprehensive program available for someone coming into this field??
i come from a solidworks backround,and though i currently do it for a living i am self taught....no training,no classes. just learn it..you know, real sink or swim trial by fire stuff..
but theres a wide and distinct difference between solids and surface modelling as in lightwave. I can make short time of modeling just about anything in solidworks, but theres a huge difference between dimensioning an item and feeding it numbers verbose,and recreating the subtleties of facial geometry.
but what learning solidworks has taught me is how much i enjoy realizing and manipulating objects in a 3d world..
im in the process of trying to change careers and im on a very,very limited budget and It is critical that i make a sound decision when i decide on a training resource.
any help you could provide along these lines would be greatly appreciated!

thanks ahead of schedule :)

cresshead
01-05-2004, 03:35 PM
there's a huge amout of training out there for lightwave...

if i were you i'd look at all the free video training first off from:

www.simplylightwave.com
www.splinegod.com
www.3dbuzz.com [intro to lightwave]
www.desktopimages.com [they have previews]
www.evilplan.com
www.3dgarage.com

also get yourself inside lightwave book and the visual quickstartguide for lightwave si this is a great addition to the lightwave manual.

also look on newtek's main site for the tutorials there and ther's stuff from areas of www.3dfightclub.com showcasing lw8 features as seen at siggraph this year etc.

once you've tasted all of these you should be able to make a choice on which teacher/method you'd like to buy into.

i think that all of the above are great but you need to find one that suits you and your pocket!

good luck

DYNAGOD
01-05-2004, 05:15 PM
some great tutorials, i wont be getting any sleep tonite :)

cresshead
01-05-2004, 07:01 PM
yeah there's a good start for you!

for instance, splinegod has 4 hours of free video training so you can get a great feel for his advanced courseware.

good luck and DO get some sleep!;)