PDA

View Full Version : UV product label mapping

Captain Chaos
05-29-2019, 08:27 AM
I've done a few tutorials on UV mapping and while it works, I'm getting a lot of distortion on the flat art. Is there a tutorial that's more focused on what I'm doing?

RebelHill
05-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Not really there won't be, Id expect... it's too specific a case. That said, its just a case of dragging points around in the UV space to map to the object.

Captain Chaos
05-29-2019, 08:39 AM
Ugh. I've been doing that for the better part of the day and it still looks like crap.

lardbros
05-29-2019, 11:25 AM
UV Mapping is generally tough, distortion free UV mapping for packaging can be really really tough.

Some starting points I guess could be:
Try using the PLG UV tools which you can get for free https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/plg-tools/
They seem daunting at first, but if you mark a seam, and then unwrap it will probably give you a decent starting point.

Also, make sure your UV's are set to subpatch mode in the vertex maps panel, you can switch between the types of UV-ing modes.

If you're really struggling, you could try sharing the model and seeing if someone can do a better job. It's just one of those things that can be quite difficult, but once you've gone through the pain and torture, it can become easier. Packaging though, like this, can be pretty tricky, especially when you need logos to not be distorted etc.

Tim Parsons
05-29-2019, 01:22 PM
You've got some pinching in your geo at the bottom and some weird stuff at the top. It looks like you have separated your UV's and surfaces out as front-back-left side-right side, that may also be causing some issues but UVing as one big UV can be tricky too in this case. If you are separating out your sides and front/back, can't you just planar map the textures?

Sensei
05-29-2019, 02:37 PM
I've done a few tutorials on UV mapping and while it works, I'm getting a lot of distortion on the flat art. Is there a tutorial that's more focused on what I'm doing?

Did you try UV mapping with Morph Vertex Map trick?