PDA

View Full Version : Twinmotion - Free 'till November

adk
05-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Just a heads up if anyone wants to try (and keep) a free version of Twinmotion, which has just been acquired by Epic.

"Twinmotion will be a paid-for product in November 2019. Until then, download it for free as an early adopter and keep it for free forever."

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion/

adk.

gar26lw
05-16-2019, 07:47 PM
thanks for the heads up ADK :thumbsup:

aperezg
05-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks I will see it...

CaptainMarlowe
05-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Testing it. Pretty neat piece of software.

CaptainMarlowe
05-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Here is my first try with twin motion on my nMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Qs5aoofQ0

Bytehawk
05-19-2019, 07:51 AM
it's quite neat. The presets make this software great. Also the preview and object placing system are very user friendly.

OlaHaldor
05-20-2019, 04:28 AM
Thanks! Never heard of it before. This will definitely help me with my application to a small arch viz studio !

CaptainMarlowe
05-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Yeah, but my nMP definitely struggle with it, my D500 gpus are too old. I have either to buy a PC for my 3D work or buy an eGPU... switching from Mac to PC seems the wisest though, even if I keep my Mac for all video and audio editing.
As for TwinMotion, some annoying quirks in the UI, but overall, a very simple learning curve and splendid renders. I wish we could add custom animated characters.

Philbert
05-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Really cool! Having trouble figuring out how to download in the launcher though, Do you have to install UnReal Engine first? I guess I'll find out when it finishes installing.

Edit: Oh wait I just realized there's a new tab in the launcher across the top.

OlaHaldor
05-21-2019, 05:09 AM
I hope they add RT support for Twin Motion as was mentioned earlier, before the paid upgrade in november. :D
(Q/A where it was discussed https://aecmag.com/component/content/article/53-features/interview/1682-q-a-with-twinmotion )

Second on my list is import camera animation. Handheld/more organic camera moves would add so much to an animated sequence!

CaptainMarlowe
05-23-2019, 02:36 AM
Yup.
Or Being able to open a TM project in Unreal and synchronize some additional objects/animations from Lightwave through the LW/Unreal bridge would be a dream for me.

Bill Carey
05-23-2019, 04:52 AM
Got it installed, loaded up an fbx file, very cool walking around the model like that. The fbx came up with no textures though, do they need to be a certain format or location?

CaptainMarlowe
05-23-2019, 05:30 AM
I usually export my fbx from LW in the same folder as the textures. Bit even like that, I have to leas at least norml maps manually in TM.

Bill Carey
05-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Thanks, have to spend more time with it, come on 3 day weekend!

CaptainMarlowe
05-24-2019, 03:10 AM
Sorry for the typos. Typing from a smartphone is such a pain.

Philbert
05-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Installed this the other day but finally got a chance to open it today. I loaded the LWS scene I was just doing for my current project, which happens to be architecture. Everything is very small though. I have to scale the textures I add all the way down to make them close to normal. If I turn on the rain the drops are massive. Like one drop is the size of a car. LOL I wonder if there's a scale problem when I loaded the scene.

OlaHaldor
05-31-2019, 01:12 AM
That sounds to me like there's a scaling issue with the imported model. I assume you've modeled it to real world measurements, and Twinmotion might interpret it wrong.
Try exporting a FBX or OBJ, see if that helps.

I've imported models I've modeled in real world measurements and they come in exactly like intended. No scaling problems, but I use FBX I/O.

Philbert
05-31-2019, 02:06 PM
I'll have to play with it more when I have time.

fuzzytop
06-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Yup.
Or Being able to open a TM project in Unreal and synchronize some additional objects/animations from Lightwave through the LW/Unreal bridge would be a dream for me.

Yes, that would be the killer app for Unreal+TwinMotion+Lightwave!

Getting the time to test TwinMotion soon.

Loved your TwinMotion test renders ...

SteveH
07-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Installed this the other day but finally got a chance to open it today. I loaded the LWS scene I was just doing for my current project, which happens to be architecture. Everything is very small though. I have to scale the textures I add all the way down to make them close to normal. If I turn on the rain the drops are massive. Like one drop is the size of a car. LOL I wonder if there's a scale problem when I loaded the scene.

When you import in Twinmotions there is a ...more button. Click on that and under scale move it up to 100% and that should fix the scale problem you are having. These renders are form a job I did in Lightwave previously - then brought them in an added a lot fo vegetation in Twinmotion. I like the software- so far it's pretty easy to get around in it. I haven't figured out if there is a way to animate cars for example. You can easily make a path for Twinmotion's cars - but haven't figured out how to make them stop and a stop light for example.

Philbert
07-14-2019, 02:31 PM
I'll look into it again. Right now I'm learning Unity's Game Kit. Making games with no coding. ��

gar26lw
03-05-2020, 09:10 AM
https://youtu.be/yQf09-ay0Po

JamesCurtis
03-05-2020, 09:44 AM
Quite impresive. I picked up on the free Twinmotion earlier last year. Like what I see here. Do I have to pay for this new version, if I got that earlier version?

SteveH
03-05-2020, 12:34 PM
You can keep using the version you've got for as long as you want. Once the new versions comes out (soon) - if you want that you will have to pay. According to an Unreal guy - it's supposed to be very inexpensive.

gar26lw
03-05-2020, 04:08 PM
i noticed it had lws and lwo in the formats. At least i think it did ;)

Edit : Yep, it read LWO 2015 and LW0 2019 with textures and materials, it also reads LWS.

I wonder if this is a taste of things to come?

SteveH
03-11-2020, 03:20 PM
The new Version of Twinmotion is up today! It looks pretty great! I got it for free as an early adopter - $500 for a less early person - but they said something about 50% off of that as well....check it out.

Qexit
03-11-2020, 03:37 PM
The new Version of Twinmotion is up today! It looks pretty great! I got it for free as an early adopter - $500 for a less early person - but they said something about 50% off of that as well....check it out.I got an email from them today with the same good news:

'Hi Kevin,

We’re pleased to announce that Twinmotion 2020 is now available. As a thank-you for downloading Twinmotion as an early adopter, we’ve decided to make this paid-for release, and all subsequent upgrades until the end of December 2021, absolutely free to you.'

Nice that the upgrades will be free till the end of next year as an extra bonus :) I'll have to get everything downloaded and installed tomorrow :)

CaptainMarlowe
03-12-2020, 04:09 AM
Same here. I made some rough tests yesterday night. Realsim has imporved a bit.

JamesCurtis
03-12-2020, 11:39 AM
Just got my email a bit ago too. Nice to know its free for now. Downloading and installing as I type this.

jwiede
03-12-2020, 12:01 PM
Just got my email a bit ago too. Nice to know its free for now. Downloading and installing as I type this.

Well, it's free till Dec 2021 for those who'd joined "Early Adopters" and downloaded prior. For everyone else (who didn't join EA before TM2020's release), apparently they now have to pay for a license ($250 now, going up to $500 eventually).

Important distinction for those who hadn't already joined/downloaded. Luckily, I'd joined and downloaded previously as well.

JamesCurtis
03-18-2020, 06:49 AM
Played with it a bit and its cool. But, I was hoping that there would be an export option for .fbx, as I would like to have a way to do additional things to the landscape or sim, etc. outside of the program. I don't mean video output either, BTW.