PDA

View Full Version : Twinmotion - Free 'till November

adk
05-16-2019, 06:00 PM
Just a heads up if anyone wants to try (and keep) a free version of Twinmotion, which has just been acquired by Epic.

"Twinmotion will be a paid-for product in November 2019. Until then, download it for free as an early adopter and keep it for free forever."

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/twinmotion/

adk.

gar26lw
05-16-2019, 07:47 PM
thanks for the heads up ADK :thumbsup:

aperezg
05-16-2019, 08:09 PM
Thanks I will see it...

CaptainMarlowe
05-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Testing it. Pretty neat piece of software.

CaptainMarlowe
05-17-2019, 01:52 PM
Here is my first try with twin motion on my nMP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4Qs5aoofQ0

Bytehawk
05-19-2019, 07:51 AM
it's quite neat. The presets make this software great. Also the preview and object placing system are very user friendly.

OlaHaldor
05-20-2019, 04:28 AM
Thanks! Never heard of it before. This will definitely help me with my application to a small arch viz studio !

CaptainMarlowe
05-20-2019, 06:15 AM
Yeah, but my nMP definitely struggle with it, my D500 gpus are too old. I have either to buy a PC for my 3D work or buy an eGPU... switching from Mac to PC seems the wisest though, even if I keep my Mac for all video and audio editing.
As for TwinMotion, some annoying quirks in the UI, but overall, a very simple learning curve and splendid renders. I wish we could add custom animated characters.

Philbert
05-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Really cool! Having trouble figuring out how to download in the launcher though, Do you have to install UnReal Engine first? I guess I'll find out when it finishes installing.

Edit: Oh wait I just realized there's a new tab in the launcher across the top.

OlaHaldor
05-21-2019, 05:09 AM
I hope they add RT support for Twin Motion as was mentioned earlier, before the paid upgrade in november. :D
(Q/A where it was discussed https://aecmag.com/component/content/article/53-features/interview/1682-q-a-with-twinmotion )

Second on my list is import camera animation. Handheld/more organic camera moves would add so much to an animated sequence!

CaptainMarlowe
05-23-2019, 02:36 AM
Yup.
Or Being able to open a TM project in Unreal and synchronize some additional objects/animations from Lightwave through the LW/Unreal bridge would be a dream for me.

Bill Carey
05-23-2019, 04:52 AM
Got it installed, loaded up an fbx file, very cool walking around the model like that. The fbx came up with no textures though, do they need to be a certain format or location?

CaptainMarlowe
05-23-2019, 05:30 AM
I usually export my fbx from LW in the same folder as the textures. Bit even like that, I have to leas at least norml maps manually in TM.

Bill Carey
05-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Thanks, have to spend more time with it, come on 3 day weekend!

CaptainMarlowe
05-24-2019, 03:10 AM
Sorry for the typos. Typing from a smartphone is such a pain.

Philbert
05-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Installed this the other day but finally got a chance to open it today. I loaded the LWS scene I was just doing for my current project, which happens to be architecture. Everything is very small though. I have to scale the textures I add all the way down to make them close to normal. If I turn on the rain the drops are massive. Like one drop is the size of a car. LOL I wonder if there's a scale problem when I loaded the scene.

OlaHaldor
05-31-2019, 01:12 AM
That sounds to me like there's a scaling issue with the imported model. I assume you've modeled it to real world measurements, and Twinmotion might interpret it wrong.
Try exporting a FBX or OBJ, see if that helps.

I've imported models I've modeled in real world measurements and they come in exactly like intended. No scaling problems, but I use FBX I/O.

Philbert
05-31-2019, 02:06 PM
I'll have to play with it more when I have time.

fuzzytop
06-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Yup.
Or Being able to open a TM project in Unreal and synchronize some additional objects/animations from Lightwave through the LW/Unreal bridge would be a dream for me.

Yes, that would be the killer app for Unreal+TwinMotion+Lightwave!

Getting the time to test TwinMotion soon.

Loved your TwinMotion test renders ...

SteveH
07-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Installed this the other day but finally got a chance to open it today. I loaded the LWS scene I was just doing for my current project, which happens to be architecture. Everything is very small though. I have to scale the textures I add all the way down to make them close to normal. If I turn on the rain the drops are massive. Like one drop is the size of a car. LOL I wonder if there's a scale problem when I loaded the scene.

When you import in Twinmotions there is a ...more button. Click on that and under scale move it up to 100% and that should fix the scale problem you are having. These renders are form a job I did in Lightwave previously - then brought them in an added a lot fo vegetation in Twinmotion. I like the software- so far it's pretty easy to get around in it. I haven't figured out if there is a way to animate cars for example. You can easily make a path for Twinmotion's cars - but haven't figured out how to make them stop and a stop light for example.

Philbert
07-14-2019, 02:31 PM
I'll look into it again. Right now I'm learning Unity's Game Kit. Making games with no coding. ��