PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave VR 360 workflow question

Axis3d
05-06-2019, 12:08 PM
Hello, all

What would be the workflow to create VR 360 video in LW 2019? I'm new to the VR 360 stuff and I'm trying to wrap my head around the workflow. The client has given an example of a final rendered video of 3840 x 1920. It has Left over Right (they both look squeezed vertically).

In LW, I set up a scene and use the VR Camera choice. I have it set to 3840 x 1920 and I use the VR Camera Export image processing filter at the end of the render. But it renders out as a square image with Left over Right.

Does anyone know the correct workflow/process for creating the VR images in LW, and then editing it together with After Effects? I've been trying to find some good tutorials (that explain the LW end of it also).

Thanks in advance.

mummyman
05-06-2019, 01:37 PM
The way I've worked using 2015 and UberCam, my resolution was 3840x3840. It gives you a full Top/Bottom image that is square and when they are combined in the headset, the result does give you a final 3840x1920 once the 2 images are combined in the headset. I think your camera setting should be set to 3840x3840. Gonna take a while to render depending on what is in view.

Axis3d
05-06-2019, 02:19 PM
The way I've worked using 2015 and UberCam, my resolution was 3840x3840. It gives you a full Top/Bottom image that is square and when they are combined in the headset, the result does give you a final 3840x1920 once the 2 images are combined in the headset. I think your camera setting should be set to 3840x3840. Gonna take a while to render depending on what is in view.

Are you then using After Effects VR workflow to add any titling/graphics in post?

mummyman
05-06-2019, 02:23 PM
Sometimes. Sometimes I needed to have the labels / text embedded and go behind certain objects. So I had to render a seperate pass with the text/label in Layout so the stereo matched perfectly. I haven't done much text using AE yet. If I knew the label was "over" the scene it worked fine. But tricky in post if it needs to be at a certain depth.

Axis3d
05-06-2019, 03:35 PM
Sometimes. Sometimes I needed to have the labels / text embedded and go behind certain objects. So I had to render a seperate pass with the text/label in Layout so the stereo matched perfectly. I haven't done much text using AE yet. If I knew the label was "over" the scene it worked fine. But tricky in post if it needs to be at a certain depth.

Gotcha.

BTW, nice work on that cell VR video on your site. I only wish that viewing this VR stuff in a headset looked better. My phone has a nice Retina display, but looking at VR through one of those headsets looks so soft and low-resolution. Seems a waste to render at such high resolutions only to dumb it down for the VR experience.

mummyman
05-07-2019, 05:30 AM
Gotcha.

BTW, nice work on that cell VR video on your site. I only wish that viewing this VR stuff in a headset looked better. My phone has a nice Retina display, but looking at VR through one of those headsets looks so soft and low-resolution. Seems a waste to render at such high resolutions only to dumb it down for the VR experience.

Agreed. We were contracted knowing the final output was for YouTube. Now Youtube has gotten better for quality settings. It looks amazing at 4k on the Vive or Samsung Gear (at the time that's what we were testing in) Thanks Axis!