PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors

rustythe1
05-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Stupid question, how does one make mirrors in PBR land?
do we have to just stick with the standard material?
PBR materials do not seem to have full reflection as the base colour bleeds through too much (i.e. you will see the reflection tinted with the colour be it black or white)
and metalness can get close but comes with its own sample and firefly problems, can be fixed but at expense for a simple scene item.
so am I missing something else in PBR materials that will do the job, or is it as I say use the old standard material?

motiondigital
05-03-2019, 07:24 AM
Metal > Chrome works for me

RebelHill
05-03-2019, 07:48 AM
Mirrors are just a special case, there are very few materials that give a near prefect sharp, and near total reflection, which is why the other materials dont particularly work well at such an extreme.

Like you suppose, just use standard.

Tobian
05-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Make metalness 100%, make rouggness >5%, make colour white. Or use a material component specular in 2019

rustythe1
05-04-2019, 09:03 AM
thanks, yea I tried metal as said but it needs a lot more samples to be clean than what you need for standard material and although the reflection can be clear it seems to wash out a little with what ever colour you use, there are also other problems with light types that have been discussed in other threads with the pbr materials where the light can block out the reflection, again standard gets over this as it doesn't seem to reflect the physical light (for example if you used an area light in a window it will more than likely wash out your reflection with spec on glancing angle but not with standard material reflection)
yea I need to take a look into components as I assume the whole idea is to give back more artistic control over the materials (fake it)

Tobian
05-04-2019, 09:44 AM
He's and no. Pbsdf doesn't allow you to make 100% of all materials, or give you access to all the possible effects available. Its your choice to make a pbr or a wholly fake material with the components. I'm not sure know the other issues, mostly because people want lights to *not* reflect, but light a scene ;)