PDA

View Full Version : Question for Proton & Chuck

kml12
01-05-2004, 07:37 AM
Gents,

When will we see an updated list of all the new features that will ship in LW8? And if we've seen it all please let us all know...

Chuck
01-05-2004, 08:25 AM
Proton is away at MacWorld, so he is likely to be off the forums for a few days. As for the feature list, we're working on it, and should be able to have it posted sometime this week.

kml12
01-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Great,

Thanks Chuck...

cresshead
01-05-2004, 08:39 AM
thank's chuck, i'll be looking forward to seeing the full list...no doubt it's taking a little time as it probably will feature screenshots to explain it all so newtek's doing some webpage layout work on it...and maybe a couple of demo videos too...
seems it'll be up after macworld so i look forward to seeing if lw8 get's the 64bit treatment as well!

cheers and keep up the great work

aliens
01-05-2004, 09:14 AM
great news, thx all peepz at Newtek for their great/hard work

kml12
01-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Newtek,

I see there are links to the demo video's, great to see some activity on the preview page...

Can't wait to see the final feature list, THANKS :D

hrgiger
01-06-2004, 06:25 PM
Is this going to be a complete feature List or will there still be a surprise or two left once lw8 is released? Thanks either way!!

archiea
01-06-2004, 06:31 PM
it says here what the features are in the press release...

LightWave 3D Overview:

World-class rendering

Fast, versatile Modeler

Powerful scripting language

Character Animation tools

Particle Effects

Expressions

Numeric entry and expressions in input fields

Unlimited points and polygons per object

Unlimited images

Unlimited surfaces

Easy import of Illustrator® data

Easy integration with other effects production tools.

LightWave 3D version 8 Includes:

Improved workflow in Layout and Modeler

Rigid Body Dynamics

Improved Soft Body Dynamics

Faster IK, FK

Bone Dynamics

More powerful and flexible character animation controls and tools

Improved character setup workflow

New Particle System Tools

Animatable UV coordinates

Improvements to LScript(TM) scripting language and to the API

I guess that's the list. What kind of list were yoou looking for?

(I have re-edited this message to correct the mistake that chuck has mentioned below. This is to avoid any confusion, and to not misquote any of NT's press releases or statements, as the mistake was on my part.)

mkiii
01-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Perhaps a list of features that have *not* been in LW since version 6.0?

hrgiger
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by archiea

I guess that's the list. What kind of list were yoou looking for?

This is not the list. Not only is it vague but it is incomplete. "Character animation tools" is hardly a way to describle all the new additions to layout.

Chuck
01-06-2004, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by archiea
it says here what the features are in the press release...

LightWave 3D Overview:

[Overview List of features currently available in LightWave 7.5 edited for brevity]

I guess that's the list. What kind of list were you looking for?

Now that's just befuddling. You quote just the LightWave overview bullet points, which describe the currently shipping edition of LightWave, and don't quote the LightWave 8 bullet points clearly titled in bold immediately below, and you seem to claim that we said the former was the latter.

The LightWave 8 bullet points we've been using for some time in press releases are certainly not exhaustive, but they are clearly and unmistakeably marked. To Quote:

LightWave 3D version 8.0 Includes:

* Improved workflow in Layout and Modeler
* Rigid Body Dynamics
* Improved Soft Body Dynamics
* Faster IK, FK
* Bone Dynamics
* More powerful and flexible character animation controls and tools
* Improved character setup workflow
* New Particle System Tools
* Animatable UV coordinates
* Improvements to LScript(TM) scripting language and to the API

So did you just miss getting all the text you intended to cut and paste, or was this actually just what you intended to do?

jorbedo
01-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Chuck,

When Newtek says, World-class rendering, you mean, the same old frined from the 90's, yes the same that we still use?.

Looks like LW is just another bunch of plugins (I think that only a 30% of your users expect to use this new tools) with a fresh interface, better usability, but nobody knows how many workarounds to come.

Chuck or Proton, please be polite and add anything about the render?

I bought MAX, but I think to use LW too.

"When the people see me working with LW, and they ask what I'm doing, I just say: workarounds".

hrgiger
01-07-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by jorbedo
Chuck,

When Newtek says, World-class rendering, you mean, the same old frined from the 90's, yes the same that we still use?.

Looks like LW is just another bunch of plugins (I think that only a 30% of your users expect to use this new tools) with a fresh interface, better usability, but nobody knows how many workarounds to come.

Chuck or Proton, please be polite and add anything about the render?

I bought MAX, but I think to use LW too.

"When the people see me working with LW, and they ask what I'm doing, I just say: workarounds".

Ok, this post is just full of...well, I don't know what you'd call it.
First of all, the world class renderer perhaps refers to the fact that Lightwave has always had a good renderer. Where was Max's or Maya's renderer 3 years ago? I'll tell you where it was, it was in crapland. It would still be in crapland if they hadn't added Mental Ray as their renderer. Lightwave 8 is addressing the areas of the program where it was weak before, namely character animation.
Secondly, you say you think 30%of users will use these new tools. You should really stress the words "you think". I'm not sure how you came up with this arbitrary number. I'll certainly be using the new tools. Anyone else?
Lightwave is just a bunch of plug-ins? What is the new dopesheet? The IK boost tool? Integrated (translation:not plug-in) rigid and soft body dynamics, new expression editor?

Phil
01-07-2004, 04:42 AM
Well, for my tuppence worth, I'd be interested in seeing a 'bugs fixed' list for 8.0. I'm really only needing a fixed multithreading option so that 8.0 doesn't have different flare and other intensities calculated between threads on the same hardware in the same frame and between frames. That kind of issue in 7.5 really screws up any kind of faith in letting the renderer go with any form of multithreaded rendering. Similarly, knowing that Particle FX wasn't going to lose its links to particle streams when objects are removed from the middle of a scene (also affects HV3 and probably other plugins) would be good.

I'm honestly less interested in the new features than having a comprehensive list of bugs that have been 'fixed' and also those that are on the slab for a post-release fix. There are bugs in LW that have been alluded to as being fixed in LW8, but no-one has so far identified which ones.

I'm not interested in picking a fight, but feel that this form of disclosure would not actually be a bad thing in any shape or form. Discreet manage it with updates to MAX; it's an extensive list in their case. It does help to know what you can use and rely on in the package against those areas that might fall over / bite you in the *** when you really want them to work properly.

jorbedo
01-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Giger, don' try to cover the sun with your hand son.

Whatever you want to call them, they are additions to an aging platform, just to make it look worth it of your hard earned dollars, for me is nothing more to a expected fixes to old problems.

You mentioned Max, I agree with you a 100%, 3 years ago, was crap, but can you tell me where they are right now? Final render, mentalray, Brazil, Insight, Vray, etc, etc, etc. Character Studio?, CAT, Hard dynamics with reactor, etc, etc, Bones?, getting better and better, Particles, their new Particle Flow, a killer addition.

Meanwhile after 3 years I feel that I'm hosting spiders on my LW shelf.

Nothing really new, not much better workflows, jsut plug-ins and new cool interfcaes, and here we go again, more plug-ins and another good looking interface, that's it, nothing else.

Sorry Newtek Dev team, I think that you deserve my congratulations trying to bring to live an aging app, you really are doing your best, take a bow.

It's like making a beatifull Dbase looks more like Oracle, but with that code you can't make it perform like oracle.

I know that someday they need to catch maya, XSI and max, but not this time, at least not for another 2 or 3 years. (LW 8.5 and 9, then a new name, new versioning, anew begining.), meanwhile you will continue struggling to make this thing works and paying for upgrades

good luck.

colkai
01-07-2004, 05:08 AM
My only response to this thread is as follows...

Let's just stop here shall we? It's obvious it will degenerate further than it already has. We don't need to go there.

..end transmission

lasco
01-07-2004, 05:09 AM
You quote just the LightWave overview bullet points, which describe the currently shipping edition of LightWave, and don't quote the LightWave 8 bullet points clearly titled in bold immediately below, and you seem to claim that we said the former was the latter.

So did you just miss getting all the text you intended to cut and paste, or was this actually just what you intended to do?

Chuck, of course I can't be sure of archiea's intentions,
now I recently (maybe 2 or 3 months ago) also saw the exact same list
that he posted here, I unfortunately can't remeber where I saw it,
maybe just on Newtek's site.
However I for my part mistaked about it and took it for a real list
of features for LW8 (I for example understood "easy Illustrator import"
like something that would be enhanced regarding the current .EPS import of LW).

I on the other hand also knew of course about the real LW 8 list but
just understood it as a "more", eventually I did'nt remeber there were 2 lists
until now.
That's just to say I don't know why and where but there seem to be a list of features somewhere on a web site that is not enough clear so several people
mistake about LW 8…

--------

Jorbedo > I like everyone have serious reasons to expect things that I miss much in Lightwave and find regular that we all come here to ask for more and better,
it's one of the reason of being of this forum.
Though I don't see the interest of posting always messages using irony and anger, and eventually coming here only for complaining that you would just like that LW is identical to Max+whatever renderer you want, but let me guess…

Are you also posting messages on Discreet's forum to complain and ask that Max is the same price than Lightwave ?

However if you bought this product why coming here asking for the same functions in LW ?

hrgiger
01-07-2004, 05:17 AM
You mentioned Max, I agree with you a 100%, 3 years ago, was crap, but can you tell me where they are right now?

Yeah, $3500 and $800 an upgrade. What a steal...:rolleyes:

jorbedo
01-07-2004, 05:48 AM
Giger, before they cancel my subscription for my opinions, (No problem I have a lot of email accounts, and no cookies and firewall on my pc).

$3500 against $800,

Let me explain you this very easy, with oranges and apples.

I losted a $9000 (8 minute renderings of architectural Viz) job because my workflow wasn't able to fulfill my customer expectations, RADIOSITY without blotches, jeje, can yo dig it?.

Now in this case what are your options boy?, do the math, invest a few thousand dollars and some time to be able to land that kind of jobs, or dreaming about how cool a dope sheet is?

I"M TIRED ABOUT SAYING THIS ALL THE TIME, ITS ABOUT MONEY.

If your case is that you are just training or playing with 3D then it's ok for you, not for me.

I'm not the kind of guy with a LW logo tatoo on his arm.

TSpyrison
01-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by colkai
My only response to this thread is as follows...

Let's just stop here shall we? It's obvious it will degenerate further than it already has. We don't need to go there.

..end transmission

Ditto..

Seriously..
If someone is that upset with the program..
Dont buy it.
Simple.
Go use something else..
If another program does what you want.. go use it.
Its not like your testicles are tied to a lightwave box..

The squeaky wheel gets replaced as I say..

I swear.. Every forum I seem to goto is nothing but people arguing.. Its almost enough for me to swear off the internet..
(but we know thats not going to happen)

And unless Lightwave takes a serious nosedive, I'll probally be a happy lightwaver for a good long time.

jorbedo
01-07-2004, 05:55 AM
My apologies, looks like they didn't blocked my account for my posts, please recieve my apologies guys. looked for a moment that I was banned from the forums.

I enjoy so much this communication channel, I know that it's not good for Newtek, cutomers complaining or asking for add ons, or fixing workflows, but at least is the only way that we the customers have to communicate our expectations about their products.

I bought MAX, yes, I will continue with LW, yes, I cannot loose a lot of things that I can do faster in LW than in Max.

But guys, for real, videos, and capture screens, they are good, but for me we need additional or detailed info, about what can we expect in the general workflow, not only how good is a particular plug-in.

archiea
01-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by Chuck
Now that's just befuddling. You quote just the LightWave overview bullet points, which describe the currently shipping edition of LightWave, and don't quote the LightWave 8 bullet points clearly titled in bold immediately below, and you seem to claim that we said the former was the latter.

The LightWave 8 bullet points we've been using for some time in press releases are certainly not exhaustive, but they are clearly and unmistakeably marked. To Quote:

My flub, chuck...

I had snipped it from the press release...

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/01-06-04a.html

I missed the bottom part.... Damn apple scrollbar thingies...

However the preview page lumps alot of it together.. i guess being inclusive of the curent LW features...

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/index.php

either way, my point was that at least there was a featureset released, perhaps not one that would fill three page booklet ala 6.0, but an overview.. not to mention the tutorials ans screenshots that show features explicitly...

lasco
01-07-2004, 06:02 AM
(No problem I have a lot of email accounts, and no cookies and firewall on my pc).

WOW ! have you ? really ?

lasco
01-07-2004, 06:05 AM
I had snipped it from the press release...

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/01-06-04a.html

I missed the bottom part.... Damn apple scrollbar thingies...

However the preview page lumps alot of it together.. i guess being inclusive of the curent LW features...

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/index.php[

that's what I thought.
;)

lasco
01-07-2004, 06:10 AM
I know that it's not good for Newtek, cutomers complaining or asking for add ons, or fixing workflows,

it's not that bad to ask and even complain,
it's the way you ask and show that you also know that not all, right now and at same cost is possible, that counts…

Hey, Newtek's what about, in the future,
considering a kind of form-polls to maybe evaluate better
the users need ?

kml12
01-07-2004, 06:19 AM
Let's get back to this threads initial intent.

Hopefully this week we'll see a complete feature list of what will ship in LW8 ;)

Chuck said we would probably see it this week, but he didn't mention that it would be complete.

All we can do is hope:rolleyes:

archiea
01-07-2004, 06:37 AM
I know some strong opinions have been voiced, but I think its in observance of current trends in 3D..

yeah, Max is not the product that it was 3 years ago, and the market itself isn't what it was 3 years ago in general. However, NT's claim of a "world class renderer" seems to be indicative that its full featured since it incorporates many of the features of independent renderes as part of the built in renderer. The debate comes as to whats current today... people feel that they have a right to debate the claim, even if they are comparing LW to independent rendering software that cost more than Lw itself, let alone the $500 upgrade. However Mental Ray is being included in some packages...

its a bit subjective, as some would debate that not having SSS or more options for shadowing, or perhaps maya's multipass output betrays the claim of a "World Class render". others would claim that since you can't pipe into renderman, that that alone doesn;t qualify it as a "world class renderer".

I think the hard reality is that Nt took a hit in development for at least a year... however, if the current improvements in char anim and dynamics is indicative of the new development team, should they decide to tackle rendering for 8.5 or 9.0, then its going to be a big step in reinforcing its claim.

the two biggest beefs that I have with nt is one biggie and one smallie...

the smallie is the hit us mac abusers took with the panther release and NT decision to focus on 8.0... yeah back in November it seemed like a great idea... but now its january... This is all hindsight, but Nt should have fixed 7.5 on Panther first.. hey we already paid for that... and then moved on to 8.0.... just let it be a lesson.... it was a gamble to try to be a hero with 8.0, but they lost....

The biggie is klunkiness in LW. Having used Maya a bit and, back when, real 3D, I kinda prefer the outliner approach to setting up heirarchies, dynamics, etc.. instead of the going into the object properties and so forth... Just a personal preference, it just feels klunky..

Just getting dynamics into LW now is a big step... now, for 9 or 10, bring it all home with all workflow refinement... Again, this isn't a LW sucks comment... its an observation. Seems like a new blueprint is being designed for LW that incoporates dynamics and flexibility, especially in the areas of character animation and animation in general.. Once we get the blueprint for the renderer and shading workflow (uber viper ala G2 with perhaps a node based shader tree?), then you can step back and build the foundation that will support it all. I say it should be a foundation that is more procedural than clicking parameters 3 menu's deep in the property submenu and perhaps incorporate a tree or node base outliner...

its like the difference in working in Photoshop and Shake/DF... In photoshop I stack three layers, add a filter, do a cc, resize, cut, paste.. oh wait I want to change that cc.. let me go back to that version..... meanwhile in Shake/DF you just go to that node and you are done...

Is this remotely making sense? it is late...

archiea
01-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by lasco
it's not that bad to ask and even complain,
it's the way you ask and show that you also know that not all, right now and at same cost is possible, that counts…

Hey, Newtek's what about, in the future,
considering a kind of form-polls to maybe evaluate better
the users need ?

there was one I believe around siggraph posted by proton or deuce.... and the current LW 8 feature list is almost verbatum to the results of that poll....

lasco
01-07-2004, 07:05 AM
Hopefully this week we'll see a complete feature list of what will ship in LW8 ;)

I must say I'm shared on that point.
Knowing that when I see a list I always notice that things I hoped so
much miss I in a way prefer to continue hoping I'll have a surprise
when the product ships…

archiea > about Panther's bug have you any more info ?
I'd be curious to know if only Lightwave has issues or if it's not a general
trouble with 3D apps as it's an Open GL bug…
Well I don't know but if it's the case I find that there no excuse on Apple's side,
claiming on one hand all what we heard about their as usual best computer of the world, best OS etc. and on the other being able to let such a serious bug !

Anyway even if the bug did happen only with Lightwave I think it's the one
who edits his product in second that is suppose to check that it's compatible
with existing softs… it's a bit easy to sell a bugged OS and then it's up to Newtek
to immediatly patch their version of LW for it whilst they already are making their
best to follow our requests and adding features to LW 8 !

I'm not intending to just insult Apple without seeing the good sides of their product but my experience showed me that software editors, Newtek included, generally sell what they say they sell, while Apple's marketing is always based
on lies and vanity… Plus I always found quite correct technical support for my softs while Apple's one is zero unless you pay, pay and pay more again.

cresshead
01-07-2004, 03:20 PM
since i'm getting a mac soon i sent out an email on this subject and had a reply today

Mac made changes in the core way their operating system functions with
Panther, and the incompatabilities with LightWave 7.5 are being looked into.
There are no solutions available at this time, but as soon as they are
found, they will be posted at the following locations:
http://www.newtek.com
http://www.newtek-europe.com
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

Technical Support does not have any release information other than that
which is posted to the NewTek website.
------------------------------------------------------
NewTek - Technical Support
North America: http://www.newtek.com/support/tech
Europe: [email protected]
Australia: [email protected]

kml12
01-07-2004, 05:41 PM
So the LW8 Preview page has been updated :D

But it looks like the list didn't change, so I guess we pretty much know all that will be in 8... :eek:

As expected no release date info, just "later this year" :confused:

hrgiger
01-07-2004, 06:37 PM
That's not really a complete list yet.

It doesn't even mention the dope sheet or IK boost or new node based expression editor.

I'm sure that the complete list for Lightwave 8 is still coming. Hopefully we'll see more updates this week but I imagine we'll have to wait until next week until Proton gets back from the Mac show.

archiea
01-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
since i'm getting a mac soon i sent out an email on this subject and had a reply today

Mac made changes in the core way their operating system functions with
Panther, and the incompatabilities with LightWave 7.5 are being looked into.
There are no solutions available at this time, but as soon as they are
found, they will be posted at the following locations:
http://www.newtek.com
http://www.newtek-europe.com
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=25

Technical Support does not have any release information other than that
which is posted to the NewTek website.
NewTek - Technical Support
North America: http://www.newtek.com/support/tech
Europe: [email protected]
Australia: [email protected]

thats an accurate response, however the solution may be unacceptable. Like I said if 7.5c jived with pather, the pressure would be less for 8. But alot of promisies are riding on 8,, IMHO that was a mistake on their part. I'm sure apple is to 'blame", but thats part of being a developer: handling those changes....

Hervé
01-08-2004, 01:12 AM
To quote you Archiea, yes the market has changed.... I've been asked if I can do animations more and more (quiet a few...) lately for archviz.... there seam to be a new trend now for house sales.... one contractor started a year ago to give his prospect clients a nice packaged DVD with an animation on it.... they told me these houses (total of 28 houses) were sold in no time..... since then more & more contractors are looking in that direction...... (he even told me they put lot more infos on a DVD than any expensive printed brochure.... (++ the fact that a lot of people have dvd players, and the quality is so good
Anyway, just to tell you that here in middle Europe, archviz is going to anime.... and also less and less jobs are going to be out of archi-offices for simple stills as the arch-apps are doing more & more pretty images..... that guy (architect) showed me a cad render that was close from a render you would have mae with LW, let say.... 5,6.... but I tell you , preview less & less jobs for simple stills....

no late than yesterday, my brother told me if I want to buy 5,000 dvd players at ...... tada... 34 euros/piece..... I thought.... soon they'll give a dvd player with the dvd disc to their clients maybe..... he he

Well my story is more simple, I've lost a client, coz I stupidly promessed him an animation (the big one that I recently bahek) coz I was sooooooo out of resonable delays....

I really hope they fixed Surfacebaker.... (ie the supercrapbaker) (xcuse, but I needed those few $000 .... so I was a little angry, but Xmas passed by and life continues.....)

So a much much better surface baker (please call it surface cuisinier.... he he)

lasco
01-08-2004, 01:30 AM
So a much much better surface baker

I find anyway that baking will always take too much time to set,
for my part I'll rather expect for a real serious cache of the radiosity solution.

But the very best I'm wishing is an ANTIALIASING BAKER !
:D :D :D

Hervé
01-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Lasco, you dont get it, .... when I said a MUCH better surface baker, I am supposing some sort of automatic baking workflow... no more preparation that kills the workflow.... but you right I should have been more precise... just to prepare the baking itself takes ages.... off course not for a simple sphere.....why?... first thing first... it does not recognize the smoothing option in surface panel, second, it is not multithread... and the list goes on.....

Later, Hervé

lasco
01-08-2004, 03:21 AM
j'avais compris :)
what you call a kind of automatic baking workflow could be
"replaced" by a cache of radiosity solution…

Of course I'd be glad to have at least a better surface baking
as I never say no to something that can be enhanced.

Though I personnaly don't believe in the Baking of surfaces,
it's something I'm sure that could disappear in the 5 or 10 next years
because even with a fantastic workflow baking of surfaces will always
keep its limitations :

- re-compute it each time you change the lighting of the scene
- doesn't take in count specular and especially reflections & transparency
that counts much in rendering times, even without radiosity,
- may consum much RAM as every surface is converted in bitmap image
(that point I admit is not the main issue as our computers get more and more
RAM)

The even nature of baking things is a philosophy that disturbs me.
Eventually, rather than a surface baker I'd prefer serious improvements
on compositing features because compositing has advantage of time saving
and is at the same time a way of thinking things "non-destructive".

- export camera paths to After Effects & other compo apps
- improvements of Surface buffering (for example organizing layers & objects
or also having ability to automatize Surface buffering)
- re-writing the Z-buffering filter (the current one is almost unusable
in animation)
- new buffers for separate shadows, take their colors in count
- rendering of 2D vector images (illustrator sequences) would also
be someting fantastic, imagine it is possible with an instancing of poly
(see what I mean ? something that allows you to play with a symbol
like in Flash… I do thing this kind of features should make the future of 3D)

…things like this could help much

lasco
01-08-2004, 03:26 AM
just to prepare the baking itself takes ages.... off course not for a simple sphere.....why?... first thing first... it does not recognize the smoothing option in surface panel, second, it is not multithread... and the list goes on.....

don't talk me about that, I just tried once with a very
simple model (a little house) and after hours of computing I
realized that the generated UV were not even correct,
half distroyed regarding what it should have been.
I was certainly responsible of that but that's also a reason why I don't trust
much in functions that forces you to plan everything by advance.
I need a tool that let me decide at the last minute when everything is modeled
if I want or not to bake something, the current Surface baker is not that kind…

…after all it's obvious it could be enhanced and maybe I'd change my
point of view on this technic.

Beamtracer
01-08-2004, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by lasco
Eventually, rather than a surface baker I'd prefer serious improvements
on compositing features because compositing has advantage of time saving
and is at the same time a way of thinking things "non-destructive".

- export camera paths to After Effects & other compo apps
An interface between Lightwave and After Effects is absolutely essential. It's gone on way too long already to not have this feature.

Motion files have got to be transferable. Common 16bpc image formats (like PSD-16, Tiff-16) should be available from the render menu..

Without integration with A.E, more broadcast production houses will stop using Lightwave. Pure and simple.

Hervé
01-08-2004, 05:14 AM
you're pretty much right Beamtracer, coz personnaly speaking, I've never ever heard of DXF before it was mentionned here..... I dont think big houses are using DXF on a daily basis..... and and and ....I did not like the interface anyway....

lasco
01-08-2004, 08:22 AM
An interface between Lightwave and After Effects is absolutely essential. It's gone on way too long already to not have this feature.

It's also essential to have a REAL Z-buffer export
based on ABSOLUTE values of distances between objects and
camera, we need to be able to set a min and max distance linked
to level of greys, the current Z-buffering of LW
is completely UNUSABLE !!!!!
It's a bit annoying and very long to have always to
replace this by making a whole duplication of the scene and
an entier re-surfacing based on gradients and then make a separate rendering
to get at last a Z-buffer sequence.