PDA

View Full Version : dropping frames during capture from deck

unyun
01-04-2004, 08:11 PM
winrtme keeps dropping frames while (manual) capturing from DV tape in JVC deck. deck is plugged into y/c input of sx-8. i'm trying to record in NewTek RTV format NTSC. works fine if i choose smaller format like 360x240, Progressive, mulitmedia at 14.98 fps.

my scsi drives clock at over 50 mb/sec write/45 mb/s read with 4096k test block. rates are even higher with disc caching enabled, especially read speeds (e.g 312 mb/s). there's at least 10 Gb free.

i have ddr resource usage set for medium in preferences, desktop and render caching enabled.

i've updated my video card drivers to the latest from NVIDIA.

am i missing some setting in preferences?
I really appreciate your help on this! mark

Paul Lara
01-05-2004, 06:42 AM
- make sure preview is on black

SBowie
01-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Paul Lara
- make sure preview is on black ... and that you are actually recording to your video array, and not something like your C drive...

unyun
01-08-2004, 08:27 PM
paul & steve - thanks...

"- make sure preview is on black"

i have the "minimize PCI usage while recording" option enabled... and i've closed the toastervision Preview while recording.... still drops frames

"... and that you are actually recording to your video array, and not something like your C drive..."

THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM... my C drive IS my video array - this drive is configured as dual ultra-320 SCSI drives, striped 0, 60 Gb each, dynamic, NTFS. it is also my system disk.

IS THAT MY PROBLEM?

i also have two ide drives (200 Gb ea) for storage.

sorry to seem so ignorant... thanks for your help.... mark

Jim Capillo
01-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by unyun
THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM... my C drive IS my video array - this drive is configured as dual ultra-320 SCSI drives, striped 0, 60 Gb each, dynamic, NTFS. it is also my system disk.

I've never seen that done - but I'm guessing it's not kosher.....:(

Jim_C
01-08-2004, 08:35 PM
>>THIS COULD BE A PROBLEM... my C drive IS my video array - this drive is configured as dual ultra-320 SCSI drives, striped 0, 60 Gb each, dynamic, NTFS. it is also my system disk.

IS THAT MY PROBLEM?

Yes. you want your sytem drive separate and no real need to have system on a scsi raid.
If it was mine I would 'gulp' do a complete reformat and reinstall, putting your Operating system on one of the Ide drives.
You can still use it for storage , but you need to free up your raid for Video throughput only.

unyun
01-08-2004, 08:36 PM
hmm...

that's a bummer....

what's the correct configuration?

unyun
01-08-2004, 08:41 PM
OUCH :(

what's the best way to do that?

unyun
01-08-2004, 08:48 PM
should VT[3] be installed on the ide drive, also?

Jim_C
01-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Yes, install windows and all programs on the ide.

well a very quick run down is: (assuming XP)

reboot with XP disk in cd drive
Hit any key when it says boot from disk

Choose to install. Then XP will show you the installed partitions and OS's on system. Choose to delete the XP partition that is there and the partition of one of your IDE drives. Then create partiions on these 2 drives where you just erased them, then choose to install XP on the IDE partition. You can store everything on the ide drive you will not be messing with.

Its not a real hard process but the non windows dos look of the XP partition screen can be a little intimidating.
Hopefully your net computer is separate from the Toaster computer. So you can log on and ask questions during.

Hope this helps. Possibly do a google 'XP reinstall' or reformatting with XP boot disk etc to fill in my many gaps I left.

Keep asking questions too, amny folks here with brains bigger than mine.

jim

unyun
01-08-2004, 09:10 PM
sounds right...
thanks for all the help, jim & all...
i'll give it a try!

unyun
01-11-2004, 11:07 AM
well golleee...

what a difference! now it's rippin! not a single frame dropped in over an hour test capture...

can't thank you guys enough!!!

mark

Jim Capillo
01-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Now you can have some fun !!! :)

SBowie
01-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Make sure, too, that you disble indexing for the vidoe drive.

Just on a sidenote, I've tested the VT[3] software installed on the array, C drive, and elswhere on various systems. My preference is actually to have the VT[3] sw on the array (unless ithe array itself is a 'bare minumum' setup.) I have yet to find a downside, and the system seems noticably more responsive.

unyun
01-11-2004, 01:35 PM
thanks, all!

yes, i did disable drive indexing... thanks...

steve - regarding which drive to install the VT sw on...

is there a way to test which configuration is better on my machine?

Paul Lara
01-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by unyun
what a difference! now it's rippin! not a single frame dropped in over an hour test capture...

Glad to hear it, Mark!