PDA

View Full Version : selection of polygons

clborrelli
04-15-2019, 12:09 PM
What happened to the holding down command and being able to circle the polygons I want to select ?
This is driving me nuts - I'm on a MAC PRO using LW 2019.3 - and "section" to me seems all messed up.
Is that feature done away with ? So much harder to want a particular area and can't seem to get it.

Can anyone suggest or help me with this?

Carol

Ma3rk
04-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Probably some of the presets got reset. See if holding the RMB when in Poly mode does it for you.

04-15-2019, 12:34 PM
Just fired up modeler on this mac pro at work.
Clicking and holding the right mouse button is the way this works. You don't have to hold a key to get this to work.
Robert

clborrelli
04-15-2019, 03:11 PM
yes it draws the line/circle but does not select all the polies in the circle ?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it does - thank you so much !!

clborrelli
04-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Thank you so much,
Carol

MonroePoteet
04-16-2019, 08:38 AM
This may have nothing to do with the problems you're having encircling polygons to select them, but LWDG made a significant (and disruptive, IMO) change to the default keyboard assignments in LW2018 and LW2019 which causes me a lot of problems when I first install them until I change it back.

For the 20+ years I've been using LW, the forward slash key (/) has been assigned to "Drop Current Selection". So, if I have points, edges or polygons selected, I've gotten used to pressing slash to drop the current selection and start a new one. Specifically, I do the quick-and-easy sequence slash-space-slash-space-slash-space to deselect all points, edges and polygons.

Someone in LWDG decided to change the default mapping of slash to "Drop/Restore Current Selection"! So, if I haven't kept track of whether I have anything selected or not, I have to check first before pressing the slash.

This change was VERY disruptive to my modeling workflow, so as soon as I install a new version of LW, I almost immediately CHANGE IT BACK! The others I change back are the number keys (1,2,3, etc.) to choose a specific view (1=back, 2=top, 3=right, 4=perspective, 5=Light, 6=Camera), since LWDG also decided to change these to toggle between two views of their choosing.

As I said, it may have nothing to do with your issues, but it was certainly a problem for me.

mTp

Ma3rk
04-16-2019, 04:31 PM
This may have nothing to do with the problems you're having encircling polygons to select them, but LWDG made a significant (and disruptive, IMO) change to the default keyboard assignments in LW2018 and LW2019 which causes me a lot of problems when I first install them until I change it back.

For the 20+ years I've been using LW, the forward slash key (/) has been assigned to "Drop Current Selection". So, if I have points, edges or polygons selected, I've gotten used to pressing slash to drop the current selection and start a new one. Specifically, I do the quick-and-easy sequence slash-space-slash-space-slash-space to deselect all points, edges and polygons.

Someone in LWDG decided to change the default mapping of slash to "Drop/Restore Current Selection"! So, if I haven't kept track of whether I have anything selected or not, I have to check first before pressing the slash.

This change was VERY disruptive to my modeling workflow, so as soon as I install a new version of LW, I almost immediately CHANGE IT BACK! The others I change back are the number keys (1,2,3, etc.) to choose a specific view (1=back, 2=top, 3=right, 4=perspective, 5=Light, 6=Camera), since LWDG also decided to change these to toggle between two views of their choosing.

As I said, it may have nothing to do with your issues, but it was certainly a problem for me.

mTp

Ya, I'm always forgetting the keypad assignments when a new update gets released. Fortunately within point updates, there's a utility in OD Tools that makes it a fairly quick process to migrate all of your settings.

But on the Drop Selection thing, I went with a suggestion that Lewis has in one of his modeling tutes. Most mice have Forward/Back keys and to assign them accordingly. Then your only an index finger move away.

I had to get Logitechs Setpoint for Win10, but once that was in place I just set them to whatever Modeler had for the defaults which I think are the Return and x keys.

MonroePoteet
04-17-2019, 09:00 AM
The really frustrating problem for me was to zoom in to a place on a model I need to adjust / change, *supposedly* unselect everything with the space-slash-space-slash-space-slash, and try to surround / select polys / points. Nothing would get selected, and I'd try again and again, only to zoom out and find that my *previous* selection (out of view from zooming in) is *selected again*.

I use my mouse side buttons for other things in a broader context (using SetPoint with a Logitech wireless mouse), so I don't want to commit them to LW. Sadly, the version of SetPoint for my older mouse doesn't allow the per-application settings - it *used* to, but doesn't any more after I upgraded it.

mTp