PDA

View Full Version : fusion and resolve are updated - and fusion isn't free anymore - LW companion program

vonpietro
04-09-2019, 04:52 PM
fusion and resolve are updated - and fusion isn't free anymore - LW companion programs.

FUsion compositing program is a must have if your using lightwave - it goes so well with lightwave or any 3d program that its totally worth learning.
FOr awhile it was a free program. A program to rival after effects and free in a very good way it was commercially free meaning you can use it for non personal or commercial projects.
That was a huge gift from black magic design.
Today, Resolve their editing package still remains free. However, Fusion studio 16 is no longer a free program.
But at $300 bucks its a no brainer to invest in as it gives you a couple of things lightwavers need like 3d matchmoving, and exr support among hundreds of post effects like grading, blur, blooms and glows.

So, if you didn't know - fusion has updated to 16 matching its number with resolve. (it jumped from 9 to 16 instead of going to 10)

Both resolve and fusion are without a doubt great tools in your digial arsenal. They compliment lightwave fantastically allowing you to create videos from your stills and massage them with color grading and post effects.

My work flow starts in lightwave and ends in fusion every time.

$300 is cheap for a fully featured compositing program. Dont even bother with blender compositing. While ok, it doesn't hold a candle to fusion.

The other thing i like about fusion and resolve is the studio versions are one time buys. NOne of this continual cloud buying crap whcih i call ransom pricing. If you dont update your software - you can't access your files. Sucky even if it forces you to have the latest version all the time.

cheers.

calilifestyle
04-09-2019, 05:42 PM
fusion and resolve are updated - and fusion isn't free anymore - LW companion programs.

FUsion compositing program is a must have if your using lightwave - it goes so well with lightwave or any 3d program that its totally worth learning.
FOr awhile it was a free program. A program to rival after effects and free in a very good way it was commercially free meaning you can use it for non personal or commercial projects.
That was a huge gift from black magic design.
Today, Resolve their editing package still remains free. However, Fusion studio 16 is no longer a free program.
But at $300 bucks its a no brainer to invest in as it gives you a couple of things lightwavers need like 3d matchmoving, and exr support among hundreds of post effects like grading, blur, blooms and glows.

So, if you didn't know - fusion has updated to 16 matching its number with resolve. (it jumped from 9 to 16 instead of going to 10)

Both resolve and fusion are without a doubt great tools in your digial arsenal. They compliment lightwave fantastically allowing you to create videos from your stills and massage them with color grading and post effects.

My work flow starts in lightwave and ends in fusion every time.

$300 is cheap for a fully featured compositing program. Dont even bother with blender compositing. While ok, it doesn't hold a candle to fusion.

The other thing i like about fusion and resolve is the studio versions are one time buys. NOne of this continual cloud buying crap whcih i call ransom pricing. If you dont update your software - you can't access your files. Sucky even if it forces you to have the latest version all the time.

cheers.

It's not free but you can still get V9 for free. But if you buy Resolve you can use your key to run Fusion pro.

Ma3rk
04-09-2019, 06:50 PM

cheers.

Might be worthwhile just to get & toss into the toolbox. I've so much invested into AE with scripts & plugs I've amassed over the years that I can't just leave it behind. But perhaps picking up Fusion just for comping tasks & such makes sense. A sale Adobe certainly wouldn't get.

thomascheng
04-09-2019, 08:21 PM
It's not free but you can still get V9 for free. But if you buy Resolve you can use your key to run Fusion pro.

Resolve also includes an integrated Fusion. Just standalone is not free anymore.

TheLexx
04-10-2019, 01:28 AM
Does the integrated Fusion have all the same features as the standalone ?

calilifestyle
04-10-2019, 01:36 AM

Unless something changed since last version. Nope.

Otterman
04-10-2019, 02:18 AM
I love After effects but EXR support is slow even with PRO EXR. Always fancied Nuke but man thats expensive and a massive learning curve. Fusion is probably the compromise but I don't won't to invest in software thats future is flakey. (cough lightwave cough)

rustythe1
04-10-2019, 04:36 AM
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/fusion/compare
im confused, whats missing from the free version over studio, according to this it only seems to be things like network nodes and some extra plugins,

ianr
04-10-2019, 05:35 AM

Confirmed Fusion is bigger in Fusion Studio Pro 9 which I have

Also,
Kelly has a lot of LW 2 Fusion 2 LW excellent tutorials on liberty3d.com

ATM I can't find a change log page for you, maybe on their forums?

ianr
04-10-2019, 05:54 AM
just got this from them.

About Blackmagic Fusion 16.0b1
What's new in Blackmagic Fusion Studio 16.0b1
• Fusion Studio 16 release concurrent with DaVinci Resolve 16
• Support for Metal and CUDA GPU processing modes
• Improved Fusion playback performance
• Improved 3D engine performance
• Support for MultiSampling in the 3D Renderer
• Ability to flexibly scale animation with changing clip lengths
• Improved responsiveness of Fusion viewer interactions when using a Wacom tablet
• Improved performance for Change Depth with new Error Diffusion option
• Improved performance and accuracy for Camera Tracker, with support for lens distortion
• Improved performance with Fusion Dissolve with GPU acceleration support
• Improved performance with Fusion TimeSpeed and TimeStretch with GPU acceleration support
• Improved performance for Planar Tracker
• Improved performance for Vector Motion Blur and motion blur in other tools with GPU acceleration support
• Improved performance for Fusion Splitter and Combiner with GPU acceleration support
• Improved performance for Fusion CornerPin and PerspectivePin with GPU acceleration support
• Improved performance with Fusion Mask rendering with GPU acceleration support
• Improved performance with Fusion Color operations with GPU acceleration support
• Improved unicode PSD layer name support
• Support for using DaVinci Resolve Studio dongles to run Fusion Studio
• General stability and performance improvements
Minimum system requirements for Mac
• Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra
• Minimum 16 GB RAM
• GPU with at least 2GB of VRAM which supports Metal, OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 10
• Latest graphics driver as recommended by your GPU manufacturer

stoecklem
04-10-2019, 07:50 AM
So if I purchase Resolve dongle I can also get Fusion Studio? (and vice versa?) It would be nice to have resolve too, but mostly just want Fusion so I guess I'll just purchase that to be safe, but I wish it more clear.

lightman
04-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Buy fusion studio and you get a dongle with a serial number that is good for fusion and davinci .
Just plug your fusion serial number into the download for davinci studio and install
I work with both all the time. They are great value.

ELinder
04-10-2019, 08:25 AM
Actually, if you have a dongle, you don't have to enter a serial number anywhere to download, just click the small "download only" on the popup page that asks you to enter information. An activation serial number is for the App Store version, which is different from the dongle version. I forget what differences there are, but you don't wan that one. BMD have said that if you have a Fusion Studio dongle, you get Resolve free. At the moment in the beta, if you have a Resolve dongle, you get Fusion Studio free too, but BMD have not yet said if it will stay that way.

Greenlaw
04-10-2019, 08:28 AM
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products/fusion/compare
im confused, whats missing from the free version over studio, according to this it only seems to be things like network nodes and some extra plugins,

I use the Studio version. Off the top of my head, the Studio version has network rendering, is capable of higher resolution, has optical flow tools, and it can use third party plugins.

The free version is still very capable but I think it's for non-commercial use only.

3D Kiwi
04-10-2019, 02:44 PM
You can use the free version for commercial work.

Greenlaw
04-10-2019, 03:00 PM
I stand corrected. Thanks. :)

Philbert
04-10-2019, 07:28 PM
Personally I've been using HitFilm Express for several years now. It's free and does everything I need for editing and composting. Plus there are plenty extra features that can be added for a small price each. It's very similar to Premiere and After Effects.

https://fxhome.com/hitfilm-express

Greenlaw
04-10-2019, 08:24 PM
I love After effects but EXR support is slow even with PRO EXR. Always fancied Nuke but man thats expensive and a massive learning curve. Fusion is probably the compromise but I don't won't to invest in software thats future is flakey. (cough lightwave cough)

I hear ya. I like using AE too (it's what we mostly use in our department at work,) but the EXR support is clunky and poor. I like to using AE for animation and FX but not so much for compositing 3D.

Fusion, on the other hand, makes it so easy to work with EXR and auxiliary channels, especially if you name the channels properly so Fusion can automatically apply the relevant channels in a given tool for you. (On the other hand, Fusion isn't so great for motion graphics like AE.)

I occasionally use Nuke at work. I'm hardly a power user with it but I didn't find it that difficult to pick up because Nuke's UI is similar to Fusion. Personally, I think Fusion is easier to use...but then, I used it nearly every day for 12 years when I was at Rhythm. :)

ianr
04-11-2019, 11:29 AM
It seems to be Fusion Studio TURBO, speed increases are very good

Tracker solves speed up, but could do with a Legacy Ui wrapper

& undocking back again as they have given it a Resolve Ui uniform look.