PDA

View Full Version : A Couple of Basic Lightwave Questions Please

stevedross
04-09-2019, 02:51 PM
Old Lightwave user fighting with Lightwave 2018.

When I create text in Modeler, why are many of my polygons flipped and how do I easily fix those flipped polygons?
I don't remember this being an issue in the olden, golden days.

Also, how can I get a logo I've cleaned up in Photoshop into Lightwave as an object.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

Steve

papou
04-09-2019, 03:14 PM

When I create text in Modeler, why are many of my polygons flipped and how do I easily fix those flipped polygons?

Also, how can I get a logo I've cleaned up in Photoshop into Lightwave as an object.

Steve

Yes, they broke the Boolean in Lightwave 8 and have not been able to solve this problem until now. The boolean is a too complex technology, you know.
So we do some holes selection, paste in a empty layer, drill or boolean, cut and paste, like a retarded.

... some people are using EPS import for better result in lightwave.

RebelHill
04-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Flipped ploys in text with modeler is usually just GL drawing... try taking to layout and rendering, they ought be fine. Triple the effected faces if you really must.

stevedross
04-10-2019, 10:47 AM
Yes, they broke the Boolean in Lightwave 8 and have not been able to solve this problem until now. The boolean is a too complex technology, you know.
So we do some holes selection, paste in a empty layer, drill or boolean, cut and paste, like a retarded.

... some people are using EPS import for better result in lightwave.

I tried saving a four letter text as an EPS in Photoshop and Lightwave tells me "unknown file format" and "Not recognized by this file converter".

Is there a proper way of saving it out of Photoshop other than just esp so it will convert?

speismonqui
04-10-2019, 10:58 AM
I could be wrong but I don't think you can import an EPS file from Photoshop, normally LW "needs" a vector EPS from Illustrator or another vactor based program.

prometheus
04-10-2019, 12:08 PM
I tried saving a four letter text as an EPS in Photoshop and Lightwave tells me "unknown file format" and "Not recognized by this file converter".

Is there a proper way of saving it out of Photoshop other than just esp so it will convert?

Do yourself a favour, install free krita, from where you can trace your logo, export as svg format, make sure you have blender installed and import the svg file, save out as obj and open that in Lightwave...if rendering or animation is a must in Lightwave...otherwise complete it in blender.

In krita, use selection tools to select/trace your logo, then go to select menu and use convert to shape, then go to layer menu and use import/export and save vector layer as svg.
once importing the svg file in blender, you have many ways of adding thickness, change spline handles and animate it, you do need to use alt-c in blender on this imported svg shape to make it a mesh(mesh from curve) then you can save it as obj and send to lightwave.

another method is to trace the logo in free inkscape and save out as svg format, and go the same route with blender.
The advantage with blender is that it imports svg format, Lightwave doesnīt...there is a splotchdog plugin out there, but not worth it if you have blender.
And in blender you will have bezier splines intact to re-deform the path.

In fact..I would rather recommend to trace the logo in inkscape as opposed to Krita, since you can control point density and level of the trace, otherwise you may end up with too dense path trace in krita...which doesnīt have any controls to correct that.

You could clean up the curve in blender in edit mode with curve/clean up/ decimate curve...but maybe too much work instead of trying to get better results in inkscape directly.

The other way is to invest in illustrator trace the image logo and save out to eps, and you should be fine importing that directly to lightwave, it may be simpler but it cost as opposed to my suggestions.

Shabazzy
04-10-2019, 12:35 PM

Yeah, Lightwave's eps support has been atrocious for the longest time. As far as I know it will only work with eps files created in Adobe Illustrator 7 or older.

It really is a joke.

Regarding flipped polys, have you tried using the Unify Normals (Detail>Polygons>Unify Normals) or Align (Detail>Polygons>Align) buttons?

prometheus
04-10-2019, 12:44 PM
Yeah, Lightwave's eps support has been atrocious for the longest time. As far as I know it will only work with eps files created in Adobe Illustrator 7 or older.

It really is a joke.

Regarding flipped polys, have you tried using the Unify Normals (Detail>Polygons>Unify Normals) or Align (Detail>Polygons>Align) buttons?

They should invest in svg, and make it as good as or better than blenders svg import...that means also working directly in layout with animation options.

prometheus
04-10-2019, 12:47 PM
For text creation and openGL issues..
you could try and check buffered corners in the numeric text panel instead of default sharp, that can and should help with that issue..
At least for non extruded text.

Shabazzy
04-10-2019, 12:56 PM
They should invest in svg, and make it as good as or better than blenders svg import...that means also working directly in layout with animation options.

Couldn't agree more.

JohnMarchant
04-10-2019, 01:03 PM
How about OD Vector Importer, works with AI, EPS and such. Its better than LW's native one. Its also free. Text tools in LW have never been very good.

https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_60

raymondtrace
04-10-2019, 01:46 PM

EPS is a general container format so the Photoshop EPS is going to contain a lot more data than just the vectors you need. Instead, select Photoshop's File->Export->Paths to Illustrator. You might also save to PDF from Photoshop and load via the free OD Vector Importer plugin.

But the other advice to use a more capable vector creation tool (often free) is ideal.

Philbert
04-10-2019, 07:22 PM
Yeah Paths To Illustrator is what I use.

stevedross
04-11-2019, 06:41 AM

It really is a joke.

Ah, thanks for the Unify Normals. I was forgetting that. I'm still trying to stumble my way through 2018 without tutorials. A big mistake.

Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the good ol' days when Pixel 3D was around. A cheap and crappy little program (said with love and respect) that easily allowed
you to turn logos into 3D objects for Lightwave.

raymondtrace
04-11-2019, 07:55 AM
You can still find some of these gems from the turn of the century...

https://web.archive.org/web/20060925191923fw_/http://www.armanisoft.ch/webdesign/elefont/Elefont.html

squarewulf
04-11-2019, 08:51 AM
I find it ridiculous we still dont have sufficient text creation tools in LW

I use after effects - element3D for text creation, export obj, wham bam.

papou
04-11-2019, 10:27 AM
Flipped ploys in text with modeler is usually just GL drawing... try taking to layout and rendering, they ought be fine. Triple the effected faces if you really must.

This is not an openGl issue.
The text mesh do not have holes.
Holes are separated unconnected polys.
It depend on the fonts, but sometimes the boolean can't be done

stevedross
04-11-2019, 10:39 AM
So after some fighting with polys I went to look for my metal surfaces, etc.
It looks like you add those in Modeler now and not layout.

I can't find those surfaces.

Please help a brother out with this dumb question.

Thanks
Steve

Philbert
04-11-2019, 10:52 AM
Maybe I should make some Intro to LightWave tutorials. With the VizRT purchase they might start marketing it more, this means more new people. It will be tricky coming up with projects that are easy enough for beginners and remembering to explain the stuff that I just do out of habit since it's so ingrained into how I work.

ianr
04-11-2019, 11:09 AM

Steve

It been in this Freaky, Cantankerous way sometime & because of our split app

It never inspired confidence, depending how it wants to draw your font

of choice. Now with Virtz then there maybe a chance to again look at

a mograph market with a new LW text engine that is stable. Something

that could handle close up scrutiny of a large letter fly-by & micro-poly

displacement textures that stick where you put them. With that new

PBR & volumetrics aching to be used, Full Broadcast Logo's could be done,

For now use Fusion 9 freebe (its a joy for this)

prometheus
04-11-2019, 12:18 PM
So after some fighting with polys I went to look for my metal surfaces, etc.
It looks like you add those in Modeler now and not layout.

I can't find those surfaces.

Please help a brother out with this dumb question.

Thanks
Steve

No...itīs the same as it has been for a while, you determine surfaces in modeler as "always" and then you can use preset on those surfaces in Layout.
But the old materials is gone, itīs new materials now from 2018 and forward, there is inconsistency in the workflow within this split app, while F8 brings up the surface presets in modeler, it would bring up the vertex panel in layot, to me itīs a wonder how they managed to go with that workflow and shortcuts.

In layout you should use F9 for surface presets..and click and use the drop down list of " built-in" in surface presets, you can not save on to this library, then you have a "this user"
That is where you can save your own preset or save a modified version of the "built-in" surfaces

MonroePoteet
04-11-2019, 12:49 PM
Huh? You're sure you're not off-by-one on the keyboard, Prometheus? F9 is Render in Layout, and F8 brings up the Surface Presets if you have the Surface Editor selected in Layout.

F8 brings up the Presets shelf depending on which panel has focus when you press it. If the Surface Editor (F5) has focus, it brings up the Surface presets. If you have (for example), SkyTracer2 with input focus, it'll bring up SkyTracer presets.
mTp

stevedross
04-11-2019, 01:48 PM
So I did I loaded the object, but it looks like only points were loaded. I highlighted all the points and made polygon, but my
polys are all over the place. I think I'll try another method other than Photoshop.

hypersuperduper
04-11-2019, 04:25 PM

It really is a joke.

EPS files from pretty much any illustrator version are fine,just make sure to use the correct settings. I use it all the time. Don’t use photoshop for vector work unless you are a masochist.

papou
04-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Now with Virtz then there maybe a chance to again look at a mograph market with a new LW text engine

Haha, seems too late. the NewTek team must hurry to rework the lightwave text tool into Layout.
VizRT need strong 3d text tool, and is already linked to C4D via Livelink.
Would you change from C4D to Lightwave for Title work and motion graphic?...
... With this holes into letters?

prometheus
04-12-2019, 01:40 AM
Huh? You're sure you're not off-by-one on the keyboard, Prometheus? F9 is Render in Layout, and F8 brings up the Surface Presets if you have the Surface Editor selected in Layout.

F8 brings up the Presets shelf depending on which panel has focus when you press it. If the Surface Editor (F5) has focus, it brings up the Surface presets. If you have (for example), SkyTracer2 with input focus, it'll bring up SkyTracer presets.
mTp

lol...
getting old..bad glasses...was very tired..
dont have more excuses than that.

Shabazzy
04-12-2019, 02:06 AM
EPS files from pretty much any illustrator version are fine,just make sure to use the correct settings. I use it all the time. Don’t use photoshop for vector work unless you are a masochist.

I stand corrected.

I don't really use any Adobe products anymore (for at least 15 years), so my info on that issue isn't exactly current.

Thanks for the useful info.

gar26lw
04-12-2019, 07:01 AM
yeah, just use BLENDER. maybe one day LWG will get it that they need to make LW better/keep up to date with competition

raymondtrace
04-12-2019, 07:03 AM
In the context of creating 3D text, Photoshop is actually a useful tool. Since the advent of 3D tools within Photoshop CS5 (~2010), you can extrude and bevel text, and then export to OBJ. But yes, for any other vector export work, Photoshop is not ideal.

raymondtrace
04-12-2019, 07:17 AM
yeah, just use BLENDER. maybe one day LWG will get it that they need to make LW better/keep up to date with competition

Not to defend LWG development processes (or lack), the nature of this medium is to figure out solutions on your own to get the job done. LWG does not have any idea how many of its users turn to a helper app because some feature is missing or lacking. This is why it is important to submit feature requests. If 3D text generation is so important to your own work, and you can specify exactly what needs fixed/improved, be sure to let LWG know. That's how "LWG will get it."

https://www.lightwave3d.com/account/report/submit/

MonroePoteet
04-12-2019, 07:51 AM
lol...
getting old..bad glasses...was very tired..
dont have more excuses than that.

Actually, I thought it might really be an "off by one". I have a separate keyboard for my backend rendering system which has the F keys grouped differently from my primary keyboard (primary has them grouped in threes, secondary has them grouped in fours!), so using the secondary keyboard I often press the wrong keys based upon the grouping and get wrong results! :)

No problem, of course!

mTp

MonroePoteet
04-12-2019, 09:59 AM
BTW, regarding the original post about getting a cleaned up Logo from PhotoShop into LW, it's probably not what you're after, but I use CorelDraw to vectorize bitmap images to EPS files, which I then import into Modeler with the Load=>Import=>EPS Loader. Works great. Then, I can use my plain photo / image editor (Corel Photo-Paint) to draw logos / designs and vectorize them into LW.

Here's a quick video of vectorizing a plain celtic knot "logo" I downloaded off the web:

MOV File: 144713

It works fine for much more complex art or line drawings using the various options of the Bitmap=>Trace tools.

mTp

dwburman
04-12-2019, 10:45 AM
If you just want to convert an image to an object, and you're using Windows 10, you can use Microsoft's 3D builder app and save out an .obj.

https://youtu.be/ywjpGjqKCyQ?t=121

Also, you can load in the results of photoshop "paths to illustrator" in modeler.

https://youtu.be/5HcZ61FMq0U

but you'll have to make a box in one layer and put your paths in a background layer and Template Drill (Shift+R) to slice up the polys and delete the ones you don't want.

And yes... text, importing vectors, making geometry from an image, and boolean operations are bad in Lightwave Modeler. They do function, but not as well as they should and often the similar tools in free software work better.

My understanding was that, when saving as .eps or .ai files in Illustrator, you needed to save in Illustrator 8 format (at least for .ai files). Maybe that is no longer the case. That requirement is not listed in the manual anymore.

Shabazzy
04-12-2019, 12:56 PM
If you just want to convert an image to an object, and you're using Windows 10, you can use Microsoft's 3D builder app and save out an .obj.

https://youtu.be/ywjpGjqKCyQ?t=121

Also, you can load in the results of photoshop "paths to illustrator" in modeler.

https://youtu.be/5HcZ61FMq0U

but you'll have to make a box in one layer and put your paths in a background layer and Template Drill (Shift+R) to slice up the polys and delete the ones you don't want.

Wow. Just. Wow. That is awesome news.

XswampyX
04-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Inkscape will do it. Save as EPS. Then Import.

https://youtu.be/9tTD_GDiU3w

stevedross
04-12-2019, 02:26 PM
Can I just get a version of Pixel 3D that runs in Windows 10 for CRYING OUT LOUD! That crummy little, 20yr.
old program did with ease. I'm just trying to get a Rotary International Club logo into Lightwave.

Shabazzy
04-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Inkscape will do it. Save as EPS. Then Import.

https://youtu.be/9tTD_GDiU3w

Wow.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it.

You've shown me something that I didn't think was possible.

Sir, you have my thanks.

Shabazzy
04-12-2019, 02:37 PM
Can I just get a version of Pixel 3D that runs in Windows 10 for CRYING OUT LOUD! That crummy little, 20yr.
old program did with ease. I'm just trying to get a Rotary International Club logo into Lightwave.

Can you give us screenshots of the results you're getting when you import your file into modeler?

squarewulf
04-12-2019, 04:16 PM
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zo5siqy11r9t0p8/rotary_int_logo.obj?dl=0

dwburman
04-12-2019, 04:43 PM
For logos for bigger entities like that, you can often find a vector (usually svg) version already made. Of course, you may have to wade through old or alternate versions you don't want to use and they might require a different kind of clean up depending on how they were made and if they had gradients applied.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RCLogo.svg

The search term:
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS753US753&tbm=isch&q=Rotary+International+Club+logo+svg&backchip=online_chips:logo+vector&chips=q:rotary+international+club+logo+svg&usg=AI4_-kQCP1vzSLQzVI7asVSKWOgkbgDClQ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-ufOs0MvhAhWKuZ4KHbPrBE8Q3VYIKCgA&biw=820&bih=627&dpr=1.5

raw-m
04-13-2019, 02:14 AM
How about OD Vector Importer, works with AI, EPS and such. Its better than LW's native one. Its also free. Text tools in LW have never been very good.

https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_60

Just to chuck in the hat, this is a brilliant plugin!
https://youtu.be/HM2EPOn2rds

https://youtu.be/HM2EPOn2rds

UnCommonGrafx
04-13-2019, 03:24 AM
When did OD_Root become free? You say that under the vid...

Or do you mean, "...it's included in OD_Root."?

Edit: I see. Oliver has this plugin which is not part of od_root, but free on his site: od_VectorImport
(https://origamidigital.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_60&product_id=50)
Got it.

Nice share. I always like your shares. Thank you very much.
Robert

raw-m
04-13-2019, 03:38 AM
When did OD_Root become free? You say that under the vid...

Or do you mean, "...it's included in OD_Root."?

Nice share. I always like your shares. Thank you very much.
Robert
I think od root has always been free and at the time the vector importer was hard to find. Nice to see Oliver has made it more accessible!

UnCommonGrafx
04-13-2019, 03:56 AM
Yes, yes, I see my confusion. Glad I asked, though, as I found that plugin. hehe.

Bill Carey
04-13-2019, 05:56 AM
Not free, but I'm using TrueArts True Type Text. Create your text in layout, bypass modeler. Free inkscape is a nice vector program, also traces bitmaps.

prometheus
04-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Wow.

If I didn't see it, I wouldn't have believed it.

You've shown me something that I didn't think was possible.

Sir, you have my thanks.

It must be new and something changed in 2019 eps importer, tried it in 2015.3 and it doesnīt work.
Then I just recently saw this vid..and then I tried 2019.0.3
It didnīt work the first time I tried, in fact it would only crash, but I wasnīt doing exactly what xswampy did..I namely forgot to use a layer in inkscape, and had previously been drawing without any layer.

Once I made a layer first and traced a bitmap logo, saved out as eps...it now works in 2019, but not in 2015 it seems.
Thanks for the showcase Xswampy.
So the fact that I just recently upgraded to 2019...explains why I thought eps was out of the question with inkscape.

With this ..I really do not see any huge need for illustrator, if it werenīt for the lack of filleting rounding of paths in inkscape.

prometheus
04-13-2019, 01:41 PM
I do get a lot of crashes though with importing eps to lightwave with inkscape..even if i make layers first.

stevedross
04-15-2019, 08:42 AM
Thanks again for your help.

stevedross
04-15-2019, 02:45 PM
How do you change the grid size in Modeler 2018?

Thanks

stevedross
04-15-2019, 03:00 PM

Thanks

Shabazzy
04-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Thanks

You just zoom in and zoom out with the magnifying glass in the top right corner of each viewport or press the comma or fullstop keys to zoom in and out. If you look at the grid size indicator in bottom left of the Modeler window you'll see the grid size change.

MonroePoteet
04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
I use the comma and period (fullstop) keys as Shabazzy mentions, but I mostly hold ALT and CTRL and mouse drag right to zoom in and drag left to zoom out, positioning the cursor where I want to zoom to. The Display Options (d) Units tab allows you do determine how often the grid size changes as you zoom:

So, with the setting shown of 1 2 5, as you zoom in the grid size will change from (for example) 50cm to 20cm to 10cm and then 5cm, 2cm and 1cm, etc. and zooming out goes up in these same intervals.

RE: the ALT-CTRL-drag to zoom, I also use the ALT-SHIFT-drag to slide the viewports, and ALT-drag to rotate the Perspective view.

mTp

stevedross
04-17-2019, 11:22 AM
This is the last question for (today).
Back in the old days, I would just render everything out as an animation.
What's the process for doing that in 2018?

Thanks as always.

raymondtrace
04-17-2019, 12:17 PM
The process is the same as always. Render as image files (not video animation) and then compile into video.

Recent discussion:
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?159606-Animation-AVI-reported-as-corrupted-or-has-no-image

stevedross
04-17-2019, 01:04 PM
No way to render it out as an animation anymore?

raymondtrace
04-17-2019, 01:29 PM
There is always a way to render out as an animation video file. And there is the same reason not to render to a video file.

What happens when you've been rendering for 12 hours and then there's a fault that destroys the video file?

That's why rendering to still images (JPG/PNG/TGA/EXR/etc) is the sensible way to render animation. Then smack those images into a video file.

DOCS: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/getting-started-with-rendering

Tim Parsons
04-17-2019, 02:11 PM
No way to render it out as an animation anymore?

It just isn't safe. :) Still possible in 2018 -19.

MarkAH
04-17-2019, 04:58 PM
Back in the old days, I would just render everything out as an animation.

Back in the old days, I would just load my film cassettes into the Scopitone.

tburbage
04-18-2019, 12:36 AM

After converting the text in Photoshop to outlines, use File > Export > Paths To Illustrator, specifying the name of the path. You can save to either .eps or .ai extensions. EPS Loader in Modeler can load that just fine (it doesn't care about the extension). I get good results specifying Spline Curves or Closed Polygons. Auto-AxisDrill worked for me in cutting out the "holes" in some letters.

- - - Updated - - -

After converting the text in Photoshop to outlines, use File > Export > Paths To Illustrator, specifying the name of the path. You can save to either .eps or .ai extensions. EPS Loader in Modeler can load that just fine (it doesn't care about the extension). I get good results specifying Spline Curves or Closed Polygons. Auto-AxisDrill worked for me in cutting out the "holes" in some letters when working with Closed Polygons.

tburbage
04-18-2019, 12:38 AM

After converting the text in Photoshop to outlines, use File > Export > Paths To Illustrator, specifying the name of the path. You can save to either .eps or .ai extensions. EPS Loader in Modeler can load that just fine (it doesn't care about the extension). I get good results specifying Spline Curves or Closed Polygons. Auto-AxisDrill worked for me in cutting out the "holes" in some letters when working with Closed Polygons.

prometheus
04-18-2019, 12:57 AM
There is always a way to render out as an animation video file. And there is the same reason not to render to a video file.

What happens when you've been rendering for 12 hours and then there's a fault that destroys the video file?

That's why rendering to still images (JPG/PNG/TGA/EXR/etc) is the sensible way to render animation. Then smack those images into a video file.

DOCS: https://docs.lightwave3d.com/lw2019/getting-started-with-rendering

You would go out for a long walk in nature, then sleep for some hours while rendering out a new animation file, then you save the time not havint to compile the files :)
Just an option..but hey if it still goes wrong then you are stupid :) and you of course loose the function of having higher quality images for various compressions later.

So seriously..render out to image files if it is important, for quick preview that really doesnīt matter if it should happen to be a fault, just save it out as a preview, I usally save out previews as quictime animations anyway..and havenīt had any issues with it crashing or being faulty.

stevedross
04-18-2019, 08:15 AM
Back in the old days, I would just load my film cassettes into the Scopitone.

Oh really? That's what you've got?LOL

stevedross
04-18-2019, 08:58 AM
I hear ya. There were plenty of times on 5.6 my animation was horked in the middle and I had to start over.
I have Premiere Pro so I'll just load the frames in there.

Thanks again you guys. You've been of great help.

stevedross
04-25-2019, 08:40 AM
Front View in Modeler is displaying my text from the rear. I know it's something
simple to fix.

squarewulf
04-25-2019, 11:48 AM
Front View in Modeler is displaying my text from the rear. I know it's something
simple to fix.

Set it to "back".

Tim Parsons
04-25-2019, 12:07 PM
Yes - Back is front. Don't ask. :)