PDA

View Full Version : does duplucating in layout rather than modeler speed things up?

3dgirl
01-04-2004, 06:49 PM
does it make a difference to layout (in terms of speed and/or render time) whether you duplicate an object several times in modeler and import into layout as 1 big object, or whether you duplicate the object directly in layout?

ie does layout see the duplicated polygons as new polygons?

mkiii
01-04-2004, 07:43 PM
If you are duplicating a few fence posts, then I doubt if it matters, but a dozen fully detailed train carriages (all I could think of), and loading times are going to suffer. So - in that example, loading multiple copies into layout would take less time.

I don't see any way that rendering or general layout speed would be affected noticably whichever way you did it.

Layout counts cloned objects, duplicated objects from modeler & duplicates loaded from disk all the same as far as poly counts & memory usage goes.

You can get an idea of what's going on with the Layout Stats Panel (w key)

3dgirl
01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
thanks!

ingo
01-05-2004, 01:19 AM
I can only agree with the above. For my architectural stills i often need to fill the scene with cars, trees...., although Modeller has the better tools for doing that, its very slow or sometimes even crashing in Modeller. So its recommended to do this in Lightwave, although the needed tools are missing. And no instancing, sadly :(

Dodgy
01-05-2004, 03:09 AM
Use HD instance like I do :)

Look for it on flay.com

ingo
01-05-2004, 03:31 AM
Have you tried it with larger objects, for example around 200.000 polys ? Is HD-instance able to handle that so i can easily put in 20 of those objects ?

Mylenium
01-05-2004, 03:49 AM
HD Instance will handle objects no matter how high the poly count. Since it's a volumetric renderer, it doesn't care much about that.

Mylenium

3dgirl
01-05-2004, 08:04 PM
unfortunately that's like $300 NZ dollars- don't think i can talk my bosses into forking that out...they'd prefer to see me slogging away at a slow layout i think.... You'd really think Lightwave would have this built in!!!