PDA

View Full Version : Forcing a morph to inflate a satelite

starbase1
04-04-2019, 01:00 AM
Hi All.
I've got 2 versions of an object, and I want to morph between them.

It's actually an inflatable sub satellite, which starts looking like a square umbrella, then flips into something curved with inflated ribs.

Now the good news is that I don't need photo realistic, and that the movement between versions can happen along one axis, so things like points crossing over shouldn't be an issue. Also I can get away with the deflated one being zero thickness. The bad news is that points are nothing like the same, and it's a CAD export. High poly.

So my thinking is that I should force a copy the inflated version into the shape of the deflated one in some way. Then I can morph between the two.

Is there a tool that will help me do this please?
Nick

Picture of 2 states:

Kevbarnes
04-04-2019, 04:46 AM
what you could try is splitting the deformation into two morphs, note that morphs are linear translation.
if you created a morph 'out' of the mesh - in XY plane only, then another for the Z plane
you can generate a more curved translation of vertices when they act together.

Control both with one or two nulls

Creating morph - try make a copy of one state then use Heatshrink, (havn't used it for ages)

MonroePoteet
04-04-2019, 08:47 AM
The Heat Shrink tool might allow you to create a morph of the inflated version down to the uninflated version.

mTp

starbase1
04-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Ah. heat shrink looks promising, not used that before - thanks

starbase1
04-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Ah. heat shrink looks promising, not used that before - thanks

starbase1
04-06-2019, 05:13 AM
Got the results I needed via heat shrink on one axis, after a bot of experimentation.

Anyone else using the tool, it;s well worth trying all the options.

mewnow
04-06-2019, 06:29 AM
Give "Layout | Object Properties | Deform | Effector" a try.