PDA

View Full Version : Pause e Resume Rendering features

flashover
01-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Why I must to wait the finish rendering? I must to use the computer for anther work and I can't!(s..t)
Would be a lot of profit to insert some buttons to put in pause (resume pause) the rendering, stop the rendering and to subsequently take back the calculation of the rendering after having closed the scene! For the heavy calculations would be very cool and original!!!!:D :eek:

riki
01-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Sounds good, like pausing an FTP download. You'd probably need a simplified interface to only access render features and minimise system resources.

Mylenium
01-04-2004, 11:06 PM
This has been discussed already a few times. I'm not again going into details, just let me say that unless LW becomes more bucket/ chunk oriented it doesn't seem doable.

Mylenium

riki
01-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Mylenium you make it sound like it's your job :D

Mylenium
01-05-2004, 03:36 AM
Fortunately it's not... However, I'm a bit frustrated by such requests coming out of nowhere without the (seemingly) smallest consideration to the mathematical/ physical/ technical intricacies involved. I'm no rendering guru like Marko and surely my insights are limited and sometimes even wrong, but talking about that stuff just gets boring after the first few times...

Mylenium

riki
01-05-2004, 04:22 AM
haha why are you frustrated?? Just pass it over and move on to the next thread. There's no expectation here on my part.

But seriously I'm not interested in the mechanics, I don't need to do a computer science degree, but I am sure Newtek could implement it in some form, if enough people expressed an interest.

I know it gets boring reading a hundred threads asking for 'Edge Selection Tools', but I'm sure it's the only way to get the message across.

flashover
01-09-2004, 04:39 AM
For me is frustrating to wait ten hours that my Render is finish.
If I could stop the calculation and to take back the day later, I would not have this problem!
The problem is not Lightwave maximum respect, the problem is that not all have the money for buy a Pentium 6000 with 8 processors! ;)

Panikos
01-09-2004, 07:21 AM
<Pause> ??? hmmm

What about FRW, RWD, PLAY ?
:D

flashover
01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
You have forgotten play loop :D

the_machine512
02-15-2006, 01:08 PM
I think a pause button on the render window would be great! Much needed!

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 12:11 PM
You should be able to pause the render, but also, save a suspended render going on, so you can - if needed - shut down your machine. You can then restart the suspended render at any later point.

I've been doing this for years in Strata3D. And I use it all the time. If I'm rendering a highres still and need to jump on another project or shut down due to a storm or bad crash, it's nice to be able to suspend the render so I can just restart it later, and not have to lose hours and hours of render time.

This is sorely needed in LW... maybe in the next 9.x release!

Sekhar
07-18-2007, 12:22 PM
I've had a similar situation with long After Effects renders and found that just lowering the process priority is all you need. Easy to do on Windows: in Task Manager, right click on process and set priority. Not sure about Mac.

BTW, After Effects does have a suspend/resume button, but suspending continues to hog the CPU for whatever reason. I.e., no benefit from suspending. Or may be I missed a setting.

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Well, when I suspend a rendering in Strata, it actually saves a file that is only a percentage done. I can then Quit the application completely. I can reboot the machine. Turn it off for a few days. Work on another project in that application. Render a few other smaller jobs first. Test a few settings. Etc... Then when I'm ready, I can double click that file and it will resume where it left off.

That is a huge benefit. And once you have the option to do things like that it's hard to not have that option available to you.

Sekhar
07-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that would be nice...kind of like a system suspend/resume. But meanwhile though, rendering to a frame sequence rather than say an AVI, and then stopping/resuming renders as necessary would be a decent workaround, I think. I always render to sequences in large part for this reason.

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
That's true. I don't really do too much animation but when I do I always render to sequences. I'm talking more about rendering large highres still that may take 5, 10 or 20 hours to render a single frame.

Lewis
07-18-2007, 01:54 PM
I'd rather have progressive rendering (user selectable) like on FPRIME and some other renderers so we could render as many as we want and resume/cancel whenever want without loosing ability to continue refining.

JeffrySG
07-18-2007, 02:18 PM
That would be a great addition as well. I'm not familiar with how FP handles renders but that sounds like it's more about the rendering engine itself as compared to being able to suspend or pause a render in progress.

Lewis
07-20-2007, 09:47 AM
yup. this is so handy as is fp3's refine region. thats saved me a lot of time with small edits on big renders.

And Imagine if you could have Select tool like in photoshop (with Feather) to select only object/area you really want in ANY shape (not just square) :) :)?

pva
10-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I agree with this, it's the only real important feature for me that this program still has not.

Andyjaggy
10-11-2007, 09:02 AM
well until we get such a feature you could try setting the rendering to a low priority with you task manager and then you should still be able to use your machine....... I've never tried it but it might work.

RudySchneider
10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
I do it all the time with multi-frame animation renders and it works fine. The only down-side is that slow render times become a bit slower, depending on what else you have your CPU doing.

Lewis
10-11-2007, 11:40 AM
well until we get such a feature you could try setting the rendering to a low priority with you task manager and then you should still be able to use your machine....... I've never tried it but it might work.

That's working and used loong time by now but what when you need RAM and LW already using your 2GB of ram :) :) ?

Andyjaggy
10-11-2007, 11:43 AM
buy more ram :D

Lewis
10-11-2007, 11:48 AM
buy more ram :D

And then Buy new Windows (since 32 bit system can't use more than 2GB per process) and then buy new MB since you see that MBO have onyl 4 stick already occupied and nto going to work nice with 3GB and then you findout that your CPU is now too slow when doing two things at once and ..... :)))).

It's easier to get pause/resume button load/save ;) ;).

Greenlaw
10-11-2007, 12:21 PM
For me is frustrating to wait ten hours that my Render is finish.
If I could stop the calculation and to take back the day later, I would not have this problem!)

This is one the nice things about rendering with FPrime: so long as you keep online the extra data that FPrime generates, you can always pause and resume a render session.

DRG

Greenlaw
10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Whoops...I should have read further. Didn't realize this was already discussed.

DRG

Lewis
10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
FRY also can pause/resume render and also can refine only selected area but with BRUSH select (not just square) :). It's looking great and that's what I hope to get in LW one day (soon :))

Andyjaggy
10-11-2007, 05:00 PM
And then Buy new Windows (since 32 bit system can't use more than 2GB per process) and then buy new MB since you see that MBO have onyl 4 stick already occupied and nto going to work nice with 3GB and then you findout that your CPU is now too slow when doing two things at once and ..... :)))).

It's easier to get pause/resume button load/save ;) ;).

Look at it as an excuse to buy a new machine :D

seriously though a pause button would be very useful.

Matt
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I don't see why a pause render would be hard to do, just check for user input and hold the rendering where it is.

Pause / Save render to disk / Quit LW / Load back in / Carry on with render is another matter, THAT would be difficult to do.

But pausing the render where is it, leave LW running so you can do something else I see as doable.

Lewis
10-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Me neither Matt but I also don't see why would it be hard to have Interactive Array tool, or interactive CUT tool (as it once was interactive before 8.2) and so on, but yet none of them (tools) I see in LW :(.

zapper1998
10-12-2007, 06:12 PM
thats why I have a few puters set as a render farm, elcheapo's, they work great, as a small render farm.
That way i can keep working on projects...
No need for a pause e resume with a render farm..