PDA

View Full Version : About to upgrade but Lightwave3d.com is not accesable

prometheus
03-30-2019, 12:08 PM
Well...was about to upgrade but I can not reach the lightwave account page, overloaded or what?

Markc
03-30-2019, 12:25 PM
I just tried, couldn't even open the website.

kyuzo
03-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Same here.

i emailed customer support to register my intent to purchase before checking here.

Markc
03-30-2019, 12:33 PM
It's back online.

kyuzo
03-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Yep. Have just successfully upgraded.

Ma3rk
03-30-2019, 03:24 PM
Well...was about to upgrade but I can not reach the lightwave account page, overloaded or what?

Excellent for you Prometheus. Give them a try now; no issues from this end anyway.

prometheus
03-31-2019, 06:37 AM
Excellent for you Prometheus. Give them a try now; no issues from this end anyway.

itīs no problem with my account page anymore, I got other issues though...with bank and credit card, itīs not accepted by cleverbridge, will try and solve it today..if not the payment will not get trough today...the placed order will however, if that affects the
pricing I do not know?

robertoortiz
03-31-2019, 08:25 AM
itīs no problem with my account page anymore, I got other issues though...with bank and credit card, itīs not accepted by cleverbridge, will try and solve it today..if not the payment will not get trough today...the placed order will however, if that affects the
pricing I do not know?
I just bit the bullet. First upgrade since 2015. It will take mw a while to get used to a fully nodal shader system and the new lights. I do dread having to do NPR wit the new system.

prometheus
03-31-2019, 08:58 AM
I just bit the bullet. First upgrade since 2015. It will take mw a while to get used to a fully nodal shader system and the new lights. I do dread having to do NPR wit the new system.

NPR?

with regards to my issues with the bank, The issues was resolved and it is now purchasesed accepted and I Just downloaded 2019.

For the 2019 version, The workflow took some steps back in my opinion for 2019, in my experience most with volumetrics and surfacing, I also found it easier to adapt to the old ways of adding displacement for terrain etc.
Old hypervoxels had a better workflow of single UI and more focused control and also some more features than the new volumetrics, that said...the new volumetrics yields much more realistic results, and a few features that the old hypervoxels didnīt have, black body radiation, softer edges, PBR shading, working falloffs, cube item shape for larger cloud shapes and better blending with the volumetric items per nulls, (still almost the same per particle though)

The new volumetrics is UI per properties and will not be accessable once you select and move any other item, thatīs a minus compared to the single UI of hypervoxels which could care less which object you choose and select per item basis, it was all about control within the Hypervoxels menu, which I think was superior, hvīs also had velocity and displacement and billowing effect speed, easy to set up..it requires more work to acheive similar..and yet not fully covering the velocity effect anyway.

Hvīs also had random particle scale controls within the Hv UI, that is no longer the case with the new volumetrics...you have to set it up with nodes, as well as set up hypertextures with nodes, and it doesnīt work on points still...so there are a lot of Minus stuff for the new volumetrics that I do not like, and it is my mission to convince the lightwave team to try and solve the workflow issues the best way they can, and to do that I though it was best to upgrade(among other reasons)
In the end and ultimately, the new volumetrics yields more realistic stuff...but can be painstakingly slow in workflow up till the point that I in fact havenīt seen many users provide any results.

My most worries right now for Lightwave, is the slow renders of fiberfx, lack of native GPU renderer, and how long it takes for modeling tools to really start making an impact in Layout.
They are aware of the Undo system missing a lot, and have started a journey, small changes of UI is on the way, though it has taken a long time to make small changes, and finally...I small worry about the Lightwave philosphy going
too much nodal..going for a kind of since that is what others do and that is the future philosphy, instead of being unique and innovatie with both full nodal control and at the same time keeping what made Lighwave unique in the first place.

robertoortiz
03-31-2019, 09:05 AM
I small worry about the Lightwave philosphy going
too much nodal..going for a kind of since that is what others do and that is the future philosphy, instead of being unique and innovatie with both full nodal control and at the same time keeping what made Lighwave unique in the first place.

We are on the same page... I feel they sometimes confuse "intuitive use" with "lack of control". Imagine how a the controls of a car would look like if a programmer had done them...LOL. EDIT I humbly beg to Newtek to pay a high end UI consultant to give them an assessment. The interface needs to be overhauled.

kyuzo
03-31-2019, 09:12 AM
Saw this a while ago, quite amusing..

https://www.designernews.co/stories/84443-redditors-design-worst-volume-sliders-possible

RebelHill
03-31-2019, 09:24 AM
It will take mw a while to get used to a fully nodal shader system and the new lights.

Well it shouldn't, because at the end of the UI it's really no different to v9. You have the standard material, which still has texture layer T buttons if that's what you want, same as it ever has, whilst the other specific shader nodes, conductor, dielectric, et al, are all nodal input, which is how they've been since their first inception.

prometheus
03-31-2019, 09:34 AM
Well it shouldn't, because at the end of the UI it's really no different to v9. You have the standard material, which still has texture layer T buttons if that's what you want, same as it ever has, whilst the other specific shader nodes, conductor, dielectric, et al, are all nodal input, which is how they've been since their first inception.

You exclude the new Lights which he mentioned.
Volumetric texturing requires nodal control unlike the old one.
Never mind lights..itīs a trifle to argue about.

prometheus
03-31-2019, 09:39 AM
I feel they sometimes confuse "intuitive use" with "lack of control"

Yup..same feeling here.

prometheus
03-31-2019, 09:43 AM
Saw this a while ago, quite amusing..

https://www.designernews.co/stories/84443-redditors-design-worst-volume-sliders-possible

The third sample of adjusting volume, Isnīt that some kind of enforced enriched environment, just to keep our brains busy and healthy? :hey:

robertoortiz
03-31-2019, 10:41 AM
The third sample of adjusting volume, Isnīt that some kind of enforced enriched environment, just to keep our brains busy and healthy? :hey:
lol II wrote a detailed post on why I think the developers are NOT GETTING IT with examples and quotes, but my toddler had other ideas...And he crashed my pc before I could submit it. LOL
Anyway I have some strong ideas on the subject, I will write them again tonight.
My thesis is that being Object Oriented Programmers is not allowing them to see the literal Forest for the Tress.
Specially when I just want to render A BUG ON A FERN.

RPSchmidt
04-01-2019, 07:00 AM
...lack of native GPU renderer....

Ugh, yes. It's killing my production times.

On the original topic, very glad that you decided to upgrade and looking forward to all of the stratus - cumulus - cirrus goodness to come!

prometheus
04-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Ugh, yes. It's killing my production times.

On the original topic, very glad that you decided to upgrade and looking forward to all of the stratus - cumulus - cirrus goodness to come!

A little more time though, I need to go through and sort scenes, in principle I am having a habit of working with clouds every day...and I hope I can boost the stuff now when I can save properly with
the full version.

I might be very busy with loads at work these upcoming months just before summer..which has nothing to do with 3D, but I am also gonna make a drastic change in the job situation within 2.5 months, which may
allow me for continuing with more related 3D stuff.

JamesCurtis
04-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Glad to know you upgraded Prometheus. I myself upgraded from 2018 to 2019 yesterday. I did it because of it being the last day of the intro special.

Due to medical issues with my hands and a really bad problem with neuropathy, it's been a real problem doing anything the last 6 months or so, but I was getting bored (being on disability currently and semi retired). Had to do something.

Hopefully I can get back to being somewhat productive again.

VonBon
04-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Wow, I missed the Sale :foreheads