PDA

View Full Version : shame for a new version 7.5b

dilaima
03-08-2003, 03:47 PM
i don't want to tired myself in this thread again, but i'm very upset from newtek and this upgrading version, it's like nothing done in more than a year, i want to say for u guys, all what u think about is going ith the wind and don't expext anymore, since a "7.5b" version is released and with no features mean don't expect at least before 6 months any new version.
and i want totell u too don't expect any:
unification btw modeller and layout
any hard bodysystem
any improvement in motion designer, hypervoxel, motion mixer.
any surface node system, or new design for shader connection.
don't think about a new way for character
don't think about any GIU improvement
maybe u will see a tsm lite or acs4 lite
u will c a huge bunch of new script du to the new lscript 2.6
don't ever think about a paint software but the connection of aura 2.5b

finally i want to say i'm very upset and this is no good for a new release to u newtek and for us lightwavers.it's not what i was expected!

buy the way MATT MATT , you have a very good and strong idea i ur new developped interface, but i'm sorry to tell u FORGET IT.............

anim8torguy
03-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by dilaima
i don't want to tired myself in this thread again

Then don't !

, but i'm very upset from newtek and this upgrading version, it's like nothing done in more than a year, i want to say for u guys, all what u think about is going ith the wind and don't expext anymore, since a "7.5b" version is released and with no features mean don't expect at least before 6 months any new version.

What the heck do YOU know of this matter? Do you have inside information from Newtek? No ? Didn't think so.

and i want totell u too don't expect any:
unification btw modeller and layout
any hard bodysystem
any improvement in motion designer, hypervoxel, motion mixer.
any surface node system, or new design for shader connection.
don't think about a new way for character
don't think about any GIU improvement
maybe u will see a tsm lite or acs4 lite
u will c a huge bunch of new script du to the new lscript 2.6
don't ever think about a paint software but the connection of aura 2.5b

You're full of bull**** !

finally i want to say i'm very upset and this is no good for a new release to u newtek and for us lightwavers.it's not what i was expected!

More bull****....IT'S A b UPGRADE, NOT LW8 !!!!

buy the way MATT MATT , you have a very good and strong idea i ur new developped interface, but i'm sorry to tell u FORGET IT.............

Even more bus**** !

Wade
03-09-2003, 01:00 AM
It is a FREE upgrade setting the stage for things to come!

FREE = no cost to you!
FREE = you are free to take it or leave it!
FREE = stuff to come new and improved by all those great plugin writers who keep offering us free stuff and now they have better tools more options (LS2.6).

I think the paint packages to come will turly brush up on all that lightwave has to offer.

Now back to work makeing money with Lightwave and it's free upgrades.

Wade

Mylenium
03-09-2003, 07:02 AM
I think this is really getting nowhere. Yes, there are only some minor improvements/ changes but hehe - it's free after all. And keep in mind NT themselves declared this a maintenance update. What we will see in v8 or not remains a mystery even now so everything on this is just sheer speculation. For my part I could have lived with 7.5 as it was before the update and even hoped they do not spend too much manpower on upgrades but focus all their energy on v8.

Mylenium

Robert Zeltsch
03-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Hello,

... and don`t forget: there is an AURA2.5b Upgrade too!!!
(with some cool new features and a Aura<->LW connection)

Yes, 7.5b is a typical "maintenance update". The most of it are bugfixes and so on. But unlike other programs, there are some great improvements in it. Surface Thickness for example.

And the best of all: It`s free!! :D

Panikos
03-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Its a tradition that LW developers keep adding new features until they are instructed to stop. But they still add features even after the manual printing.

I am very certain, that since the release of LW7.5 (not LW7.5b) they developed a lot of new things, and they spent their time both in Linux stuff (a serious industry demand which gradually will mature and evolve into a domination, see large studios trends)
as well as the new LScript2.6 and a few additions.

I dont complain at all for LW75b, they made a favour to us to release it free. I prefer to buy the LW8 upgrade with many, MANY new developments.

Till then, I am parient and happy, cause LW7.* is far solid and reliable than LW6.*

Gui Lo
03-09-2003, 11:58 AM
I really do not understand the people who are complaining.

If they see LW7.5b as a non event then they are no worse off, right?
I just cannot imagine anyone not using these new tools.

For me I'm havng a ball with the Surface Depth gradient. There have been many times when I wished LW had such a feature. Dream come true!

Also I know cool LScripts are just around the corner now we have the new version.

I haven't tried it out but I bet the new spline thingy would be good for hair or cables and other stuff.

Gui Lo

CB_3D
03-09-2003, 07:42 PM
I had only two complaints before the b release. Sliders and Proxypick mixed up references and names .
That has been fixed after i and several others made some noise in the feature request forum.

Thatīs service!

I am very anxious to se a unified L8 with regulars Undos and evolved jointcompensation, physics, cloth etc etc too, but thatīs not what this update was about.

It was about fixing things, and the fact that there wasnīt too much in it only speaks for the quality and stability L75 already provided. So...no harm done, quite the contrary!

As for the broken scripts, i can live with that. Luckily this didnīt affect my rather simplistic attempts at scripting, though,LOL.

Matt
03-10-2003, 03:09 AM
I can see your disappointment, but I think you're consigning LW to an early grave!

I don't think it's really all over because they released 'something'
okay it wasn't the huge update that we were all hoping for but
if you really want out there are plenty of other packages to choose from!

Regarding my pie-in-the-sky interface stuff, I'm just playing I don't
really expect NT to take any of it seriously, I mean who am I to them?
Why should they take anything I do seriously?

Besides I was thinking further ahead (LightWave vX = version 10!)

:)

Have faith it's not all bad!

luka
03-18-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Matt
I can see your disappointment, but I think you're consigning LW to an early grave!

I don't think it's really all over because they released 'something'
okay it wasn't the huge update that we were all hoping for but
if you really want out there are plenty of other packages to choose from!

Regarding my pie-in-the-sky interface stuff, I'm just playing I don't
really expect NT to take any of it seriously, I mean who am I to them?
Why should they take anything I do seriously?

Besides I was thinking further ahead (LightWave vX = version 10!)

:)

Have faith it's not all bad!

Hey Mat I think you have done a wonderful job on your interface concept, this is the stuff the LW Developer people should be looking at. Seriously, because we are the people using the program everyday, so do you not think our input is worth something? Good on you Mat:D

jin choung
03-19-2003, 01:53 AM
no complaints from me,

but i do understand the disappointment.

even as a bug fix, the list of bug fixes don't seem to address nearly ALL of the issues. wouldn't that be a goal of a maintenance release? deal with all bugs you're aware of?

also, it bewilders me that when feature requests from USERS are SOOOOO ABUNDANT, they would choose to add stuff that nobody's asked for! or at least, not any with any critical mass behind it. sure, they couldn't do any of the big ones but there's plenty of requests are small potatoes.

so chalk this up to constuctive criticism from me:

- try to address all known bugs (perhaps keep an online list too?)
- it's great you guys are generous enough to want to provide new features... but it would be great if they were features that the community wants - unless of course you guys are certain that you're ahead of curve and are giving us something great that we haven't thought to ask for.

jin

p.s. as for version 8, i would be really surprised if it comes out this year. i've been running scenarios in my head regarding the 'secret war' and my gut says it'll be awhile. but i'd be interested to see what if anything is announced at siggraph. no biggie and not trying to be a downer... just my take on realism.

Jimzip
03-19-2003, 02:06 AM
I agree. Matt your stuff kicks ***.
Remember it is us the users who ultimately get the product, and if we aren't happy with it, then we don't use it. It's as simple as that. I'm personally hooked completely on Lightwave and have been for two years. I have faith in the Newtek team.

Oh, and Dilaima if you're going to complain, complain in English.

Jimzip:D

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 11:28 AM
As much as I think Dilaima sounds pretty whiney to me, it's not really nice to make fun of someone's english Jimzip. I mean, how good is your Russian? Or Chinese? I think it's good we have users from all over the world on the forums and even when someobody's english is not that great, you can usually still understand what they're trying to get across.
Now having said that.... you don't know what the hell you're talking about Dilaima. First and most importantly, I don't think this 7.5b update reveals at all when LW8 will be out. I think it could be at Siggraph, or it could be a year from now. This was just supposed to be a maintenance update, not a feature release.

I don't know Jin. I don't think that Newtek has been that bad at all at hearing users requests. You may not always see a SPECIFIC feature, but I think you see improvements in general areas that users want. Like the Character animation tools with Version 7 have been a big improvement and that's something a lot of us had been asking for. Bone X-Ray, new constraints, expression builder, motion mixer, faster bones, etc... Catch my drift?
I'm betting that LW8 will come out this year. With the optimism I get from Chuck and a few other Newteks, as well as the hiring of new employees/developers, I think that LW will almost HAVE to be updated soon to stay with the competition. I've already got a money envelope started to buy my update.... I actually hope it's not too soon, cuz I still have a bit to save.;)

jin choung
03-21-2003, 02:48 PM
howdy,

i don't mean to say that newtek ignores user requests. quite the contrary, they're very VERY good about taking into account the needs of users.

they address requests better than most other companies combined.

what i meant is with their INCIDENTAL feature additions. it seems like they're adding features just for the heck of it - for the fun of it.

and that's great.

but if they end up adding stuff that we don't need or want (or whose functionality is already provided for in a free plugin), then it's a wasted effort, even if it was fun.

so i'm just saying that should they decide to just "throw something in there", they should peruse the mountain of feature requests already made and pick one from that list that seems useful and easy to do.

jin

hrgiger
03-21-2003, 06:24 PM
I got ya. Perhaps some things they add (and at least a few people had to request it somewhere along the line) are easier then others to implement. Perhaps somewhere along the development cycle, something seemed easy to implement, whether we had requested it or not, and the just decided to throw it in there. Why not?