PDA

View Full Version : amd pro render

gar26lw
03-28-2019, 06:37 AM
has anyone tried it in modo 13? is it any good? how does it compare to 2019 render?

hrgiger
03-28-2019, 07:25 AM
Well its fast. But still in beta technically so still needs support for more features. Part of the reasoning behind integration of ProRender was to improve the 3rd party rendering API.

Morgan Nilsson
03-28-2019, 07:30 AM
I use RPR a lot for testing on Blender. It is the only viable gpu render for the time being for Mac users with egpus.

Current verdict is: it is amazingly fast even on low end hardware which may or may not be thanks to the metal api available only on Macs. It still needs to add support for a lot of things so it isn't a production ready renderer yet, but they are pretty fast in getting closer to that point.

RPR for LW would be a very welcome addition.

50one
03-28-2019, 09:24 AM
I actually tried it today, not very impressed. Very basic.
Haven't looked into denoising much but seems to be crap too, even their lromo video on website, the one with blue robot? Is not really selling point to me...

OlaHaldor
03-28-2019, 01:25 PM
They have a long way to go. Either native renderer or Octane is my choice.

50one
03-28-2019, 01:33 PM
They have a long way to go. Either native renderer or Octane is my choice.

I'm quite disappointed with denoiser tbh.
out of the box settings seems to blur the F Out of everything, seriously applying 4px radius Gaussian in PS would be better thing.
They should have tweaked the settings to at least be somewhere in the safe region.

the whole 12 series was just a crashfest mess.

Apart from that I totally don't get Why TF they would go with such an obscure choice as AMD which is in "BETA" - but looks like early alpha preview to be honest.

I klinda like Octane but hate it equally for all the bugs that are there and the developer seem to has a bit ******* attitude too.

Native render is friggin good, just damn slow.

hrgiger
03-28-2019, 04:42 PM
I'm quite disappointed with denoiser tbh.
out of the box settings seems to blur the F Out of everything, seriously applying 4px radius Gaussian in PS would be better thing.
They should have tweaked the settings to at least be somewhere in the safe region.

the whole 12 series was just a crashfest mess.

Apart from that I totally don't get Why TF they would go with such an obscure choice as AMD which is in "BETA" - but looks like early alpha preview to be honest.

I klinda like Octane but hate it equally for all the bugs that are there and the developer seem to has a bit ******* attitude too.

Native render is friggin good, just damn slow.

The 3 AMD denoisers that were added,I haven't been impressed with so far , the Optix denoiser added last year is the best of the lot. I think they were added just to give people an option that might not be able to use Optix.
In any event, there is more rendering work in Modo going on behind the scenes that should be interesting.

Marander
03-28-2019, 04:52 PM
The few times I tried ProRender I was not happy with the speed and result.

The GPU render engines of my choice are RedShift and Cycles 4D.

Vray (3.7) RT / GPU is not working well for me at all (shading issues) and I find its denoiser horrible (but I haven't bothered too much with it). Vray CPU looks nice of course.

Nothing can beat RedShift in speed and noise free renders with great quality, no matter what you throw at it (GI, Subsurface, Caustics, DOF, Volumes / Scattering, Instances etc.).

The only downside for me is that it's node locked and I can only use it on one machine at a time but at least it's perpetual.

ProRender still has limitations and is not very fast for a GPU render engine. It doesn't do anything specially well.

Note: Cycles is about half as fast using OpenCL compared to CUDA. In Cycles(4D) I can switch these engines (CPU / OpenCL / CUDA) without any visual change, ProRender only supports OpenCL afaik.

LightWave's 2019 render engine with the NVidia denoiser - smart move NewTek - is pretty fast for a CPU render engine. And CPU render engines have their advantages too.

Ztreem
03-28-2019, 06:01 PM
Everytime I tried pro render (blender) it has been very unstable and the result is not better or faster than cycles but limited in features, so I don’t see why I should use it. Cycles is really good and its so nice to be able to switch between cpu and gpu (mostly only use gpu) and everything works and looks the same. At work we also have vray for rhino and boy is that thing buggy and some things work on cpu but not on gpu, it’s a mess.

50one
03-29-2019, 07:41 AM
The 3 AMD denoisers that were added,I haven't been impressed with so far , the Optix denoiser added last year is the best of the lot. I think they were added just to give people an option that might not be able to use Optix.
In any event, there is more rendering work in Modo going on behind the scenes that should be interesting.

I'm no longer on beta, lost the interest tbh - along with other folks. Curious, but full of doubt too.

Dan Ritchie
03-30-2019, 12:00 PM
I supposed since they're working on AI based denoising, their implementation will needs more time to learn, as apposed to just making a better algorithm.

https://www.develop3d.com/features/radeon-prorender-accelerating-gpu-rendering-AMD

thomascheng
03-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Anyway, it would be nice if LW got on the prorender train.

50one
04-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Why? This one will end up just like other renderers - BMRT, Air, Brazil, Turtle, 3delight(still here tho), Entropy(nvidia), etc.

It's vray/corona/octane that matters these days and for days to come. RM if you have large studio...

50one
04-01-2019, 09:23 AM
Hiccup

gar26lw
04-01-2019, 09:27 AM
id rather nt developed a vray plugin than the internal renderer.

thomascheng
04-01-2019, 01:52 PM
The majority of users out there won't spend the money on another render engine.

hrgiger
04-01-2019, 02:21 PM
The majority of users out there won't spend the money on another render engine.

Hey Thomas, Did you look at Vray for Modo? I'm looking at it and theres an active group on skype.