PDA

View Full Version : What lessons can LightWave's Nodes learn from Softimage ICE?

robertoortiz
03-24-2019, 06:57 AM
Since we are headed to what it seems a fully nodal workflow in Lighwave's future, I was wondering if we could take a page from one
of the best nodal workflows from the past:
SOFTIMAGE ICE

So tell us, what lessons could Lightwave take from ICE? What would be your wish list.
I ma looking forward to your comments.

-R

Wireframex
03-25-2019, 05:59 AM
Very interesting thread here :)

- The first thing is nodal COMPOUND mode (I know Oliver has done something about it in ODTools) !
- Command to remove nodes not used
- better automatic nodes reorganization
- a level folding nodes (you have 3 possibilities in SI)
- a multi color comment windows
Phil

Sensei
03-25-2019, 07:30 AM
Not sure about ICE features, but I asked about it couple times,
have easy way to create groups i.e.:
user selects couple nodes,
presses "Make Group",
nodes are cut'n'pasted in newly created "Group node" (inside its Node Editor).
Inputs and outputs are recreated like they used to be prior action.

Sensei
03-25-2019, 07:35 AM
- The first thing is nodal COMPOUND mode (I know Oliver has done something about it in ODTools) !

I made the first compound node with custom Node Editor when LightWave did not have any built-in..
It was called "TrueGroup"..
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?98501-TrueGroup-v1-0-has-been-released!&highlight=TrueGroup
...in 2009...

Wireframex
03-25-2019, 01:13 PM
I made the first compound node with custom Node Editor when LightWave did not have any built-in..
It was called "TrueGroup"..
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?98501-TrueGroup-v1-0-has-been-released!&highlight=TrueGroup
...in 2009...

Oh sorry I didn't know about it
Long time Softimage user before come back to LW :)

stoecklem
03-27-2019, 06:56 AM
-drag and drop would be nice.
-A node commander would be my number 1 request. And be able to make groups of nodes or compounds show up in the list to quickly add like I could in XSI.

-the compound node is just really annoying to work with. I have to get some of the third party tools to try. Once you create a compound node you have to close the whole node editor out and open a new one to get back to the main node interface. it's ridiculous. Definitely need easy ways to navigate from node group levels.

-We should be able to have a list of node compounds/presets on the Nodes list and easily see them and add them

-Also why can't the main material nodes properties be displayed on the right panel. All nodes properties should be able to display on the right panel. If you double click or something similar you could have a pop up property panel.

-I miss XSI a lot in regards to it's intuitive linking of parameters. All property panels could be locked and you have as many open as you want. every parameter has a setkey button where you could do a bunch of things ie. easily link and drag and drop to create expressions. just rambling here

I'm not expecting LW to be XSI and I accept that it has it's quirks, but it shouldn't be too hard to improve the node editor with some little changes.

RebelHill
03-27-2019, 07:54 AM
Once you create a compound node you have to close the whole node editor out and open a new one to get back to the main node interface.

No you dont... double click the output node, and it take you back up to the next level.

stoecklem
03-27-2019, 08:03 AM
thanks! that is very helpful