PDA

View Full Version : demo reel question

Maxx
01-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Hello all! The "Lightwave and a Career" post kinda inspired this, but I didn't want to hijack what will hopefully be a very useful thread on its' own with my question. Which is this - when doing demo reels, what's the best way to approach it from a modeler's point of view? I've asked this before and gotten some general advice (360 aren't always appropriate, etc.), but was hoping some people that have gotten jobs as modelers specifically might be willing to post links to on-line demos or just throw out some specific advice.
Or, to the people who are in the position to judge reels and/or hire, do you often get a modeling specific reel? How is it judged against some of the amazing animators' reels I've seen on line?
Or is it one of those situtations where I should just come up with some animations? Most of my existing stuff is inorganic product viz and show booth pre-vis (and I'm not sure any of it is good enough to even be considered for a job, but I'll never know if I don't try, right?), so I don't know how appropriate an animated reel would be. And I just flat-out don't have enough time to finish the shorts I want to get done before I die, let alone soon enough to use them as demo material.
Anyway, any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.