PDA

View Full Version : Babylon 5 Serise 1 Dvd

cresshead
01-04-2004, 09:28 AM
hi..well i bought the BABYLON 5 SERISE 1 DVD yesterday and have watched disc 1 of 6 [22 episodes are in the 6 dvd pack]

also watch a making of documentry with a few scenes of lightwave doing it's stuff waaaaaaay back in 1993..it was running on commadore amigas [spell?] which were probably speeding along at 20mhz or there abouts..the CGI is brilliant and would look good even in today's shows..so the talent was amazing back then anf they really pushed out stunning scenes in lightwave 2 or 3...

sort of humbles you with what i have now with lightwave 7.5!

i'll get the serise 2 dvd next month..it may take a month to get thru these 22 shows!

great work..so if there's anyone here who worked on that show i'd like to say...WOW!

cheers:D

kyuzo
01-04-2004, 09:56 AM
Yeah, B5 was a real turning point for CGI on TV, and I'm sure it was a huge boost for Lightwave too. I wouldn't have shifted my focus from traditional art to computer if B5 hadn't woken me up to what had become possible with digital tools.

Get the season 3 box set too, once you start watching them, you won't be able to stop - the plot really picks up and you really don't want to be left with a cliffhanger and no more B5... :D

I'd also love to hear what hapenned to all the artists who put the FX together for B5.. c'mon, get online and reminisce about the good old days!

Derek

TSpyrison
01-04-2004, 10:12 AM
I had originally heard about that show, from "Breadbox" magazine.. or was it a newsetter.. (I think) Maybe it was the magazine that Breadbox turned into.. I cant remember..

But I started to watch the show, just to see the CG.
I got hooked..

That show is one of the best sci-fi shows ever. (IMHO)

I completely forgot that that was CG, and became so engrosed with the story..

Mylenium
01-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Well, I feel somewhat sorry for you... ;o). B5 is the greatest sci-fi series ever and I have been a fan of it for years. I watch it 3-4 times a year and couldn't live without it. It's really a shame it never really pulled off in the US until SciFi channel took it under it's wings. Long before that it had been a great success here in Europe. Still after all this years I wonder what it could have become if Warner hadn't treated it like an unwanted ugly duckling...

Mylenium

"We are gray. We stand between the candle and the stars"

cresshead
01-04-2004, 11:11 AM
i started to watch babylon 5 at around season 3 on the t.v but never go a chance to see how it all started so this is great to have a chance to re watch it and see all of the 5 year story arc for the first time..even though i've only seen 3,4,5 plus the spinoff films i believe that babylon 5 is probably the best thing out there for sci fi...above starwars etc because the storyline is so strong n true with detailed characters who arn't cardboard cut outs and who themselves have personal faults they have to deal with

my fist encounter with lightwave was a review of lightwave 4.0 for pc in computer arts a few years ago...i wished at the time i could get itone day..n here i am!... a "L waver"

nice to be on board n look forward to 8.0 arriving soon.

actually i would be great to hear why others plumped for lightwave....

i bought inspire 3d...have a fling with max but got lightwave
on the strength of such things as BABYLON 5, starship troopers roughnecks and lost in space the film...so how did you decide on lightwave??

TSpyrison
01-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
actually i would be great to hear why others plumped for lightwave....

My father and I were trying to start a little side videoproduction business on the side..

Bought a VideoToaster right when version 2 had just come out...

The business idea didn't pan out to well, and my Toaster sits in the corner of the room.. But im still a Lightwave junkie!

I remember rendering, and watching toaster draw each little line on the video monitor ever so slowly...

CB_3D
01-04-2004, 03:36 PM
B5 was the show that brought me to Lightwave over the other 3d softs. Alias was in the 10s of thousands and 3d studio looked like crap.

At the time i was using Caligari 24, LMAO.

Ade
01-04-2004, 08:33 PM
Amigas were used all the way up to startrek voyager...

CB_3D
01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
there wasnīt a PAL toaster at the time, so i bought a LIGHTRAVE dongle (remember this one?) with a 3.5 update (or 3.0, canīt recall).

So, i think i actually started as a pirat, sort of... :eek:

Chrysolithos
01-04-2004, 10:49 PM
I had a deal with the Medical Photography Department of the Hospital I worked at. I let them use my Video Toaster in exchange for the use of a Pro SVHS editing system. I had played around with some flying logos and stuff, Using Lightwave 1.0 on an Amiga 2000, but nothing realy serious. Then I was asked I could do some 3d animations of Hiatial Hernia Surgery for a Doctor to take to a symposium in Paris. I said yes and bought a BCD 200 deck controler card so I could record animation a frame at a time to video tape. But before you could record to tape you had to pre-record black and linear time code. (This was back in 91 or so. You whippersnappers today don't know how lucky you are.) Foir my next big job (Animate all the Cranial Nerves and stuff), I got a DPS Personal Animation Recorder with a hard drive a whole Gig in size! Wow. And it's been downhill ever since. :/
You'd thing after having started over ten years ago with version 1.0 that I'd be a much better LW artist than I am, but since it's only been a part time thingy... My day job is fixing medical equipment. Hopefully, these Training CD's by the Spline God can whip me into shape.

lede
01-05-2004, 11:29 AM
I started out with a Video Toaster 4000 and Lightwave 3.0 with the upgrade to 3.5 when it came out. When I look back at the documentation of my Toaster and look at what we have today there is a big difference. My toaster is now collecting dust in the conner of some closet.

I too remember watching the B5 series on TV every time I got a chance between working and college it wasn't easy. I still look at some of their orginial art work and just can't believe it was done on an Amiga and without all our cool new tools.

Chrysolithos, I remeber these decks. I couldn't afford one but it was the coolest thing to think I could. I worked in a computer shop that had one and the owner wouldn't let any one touch it.

You would think after how long I've played with Lightwave I also would be better but guess what I'm still struggaling.

These past month I've learned more about LW with Lee Stranhan's and Larry's free videos they have emensly helped get me started. I'm modeling things I would never beleive possable out of my machine.

TSpyrison
01-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ade
Amigas were used all the way up to startrek voyager...

I remember that..
Lots of hubbub about that thing..

Ahh.. the old days :)

TSpyrison
01-05-2004, 11:43 AM
ooops..
I meant to quote CB_3D about the Lightrave thing :)

im not paying attention to what Im doing..

I also remember the BCD 200 deck controler card.. Actually, I think we still have it around here somewhere..

I remember rendering over the weekend to tape.. only to come in monday and find out that there were tape glitches and lost frames :(

Remembering hearing about the PVR, and thinking how cool that was..