PDA

View Full Version : Instancing of Primative lights

Ma3rk
03-18-2019, 09:25 PM
It's always something.

Got back to my Broadway Lights Sign project and thought I'd had a quick, easy workflow to use instancing to place a heirarchy of a lightbulbs & sockets within a shaped structure. I simply made a layer of points, selected that & added and instancer, and chose the root of my socket assembly.

With my source object, I turned one of it's layers into a primative light & all that entails which works swimmingly as you can see on the left. However, just the geometry gets instanced it seems, but not the new primative type of light. I'm really hoping I've just missed a setting or option, but my spidey sense is tingling.

As a bonus question or maybe a clue, and I've triple checked that my object truly only has 13 points in that layer, why does the Objects Prop panel insists on 2X that? I've closed & reopend to refresh.

Tobian
03-19-2019, 04:57 AM
Primitive lights can't scan instances. It has to be real geometry or clones. You're probably best off either converting the filaments into a single object or clones. Or you can just clone the lights, and use the same filament object as a source, and if you have clone-instanced the lightbulbs (where you make a null a single instance_ you can just use that as a parent, and zero the position etc.

lardbros
03-19-2019, 07:08 AM
Primitive lights can't 'see' instances, but also no lights can be instanced. Hopefully this will get added at some point?

Ma3rk
03-19-2019, 08:29 AM
Primitive lights can't scan instances. It has to be real geometry or clones. You're probably best off either converting the filaments into a single object or clones. Or you can just clone the lights, and use the same filament object as a source, and if you have clone-instanced the lightbulbs (where you make a null a single instance_ you can just use that as a parent, and zero the position etc.

Thanks Tobian, I'll try that route. Not as convenient of course.

Ma3rk
03-19-2019, 08:32 AM
Primitive lights can't 'see' instances, but also no lights can be instanced. Hopefully this will get added at some point?

Well, harumph!

Ya, that would be huge. After all it is called LIGHTwave.

lardbros
03-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Well, harumph!

Ya, that would be huge. After all it is called LIGHTwave.

Hahaha... Good point! :)