PDA

View Full Version : Confirming the new Sunlight Is casting rays through Volumetric Clouds.

prometheus
03-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Well..it took me some hour to tweak the settings, and they are not good enough yet for a good cloud showcase, but now I know we can do it.

Previously with the distant light, you couldnīt have it volumetric...ergo any distant sunlight or sk_sunlight could not cast any rays in the Global volumetric scattering environment, you would have to use other lights such as spherical or point light and place it behind the cloud.

But now with the new sunlight in 2019, that has been fixed, it is however quite difficult to set it up (til you learn how to) setting the right assymetry in global scattering, setting the right volumetric distance in the new sunlight tab(not too large and not to small.

I throwed in a volumetric cloud and tweaked the settings and the sunlight is producing godrays, with no need to adjust the lightīs position behind the volume, now you control the distance in the lights volumetric distance settings...it is hard to get it right depending on where your cloud is, how big it is..real scale etc.

Iīm off to bed ..so I wonīt show you anything yet, letīs hope I can tweak the scene a bit more, but as usual..a few days ago the trial ended, so I can not save the scene, and reproducing it will take a lot of time.

But cudos to the Lighwave team to listen to these request I had about the previous distant light not working with volumetrics, and ergo they fixed a better suited sunlight that does work:thumbsup

A tip would be to at least increase light intensity a bit over normal, set the global scattering assymetry to 0.5
and for the cloud, set a decent texture density, and make sure you have a certain amount of shadow density (the new parameter) the higher it is, the more it will make sharper rays, lower and it will scatter the rays more in to the "atmosphere"
Also make sure to increase texture amplitude so it has some noise to affect the sunlight volumetrics.

pinkmouse
03-13-2019, 03:22 PM
Oops, wrong thread... :)

Areyos Alektor
03-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Interesting, you break your piggy bank when ?

prometheus
03-18-2019, 02:26 AM
Interesting, you break your piggy bank when ?

Not sure...I have still months of testing before I think about it, I am also going to have a drastic change in My job situation this upcoming summer, so I am not sure.
FiberFX may have improved but may not be good enough.

And as far as the volumetrics, this volumetric light and getting godrays is now possible with sunlight, but it is also difficult to get it right..not like if you just run terragen etc, with optimized light to behave as godrays do in real life.
so a lot of time to tweak it, maybe I get to the point that I know exactly how to acheive it within a minute or so..but I am not there yet.

the metamorph sculpt is cool to start scultping landscape and at the same time being able to put displacement procedurals on top of it, you might like that.

Areyos Alektor
03-18-2019, 08:24 AM
Arrival of two major versions in short time is surprising but the content is worthwhile. Since the 2018 the patches are made available regularly and this is a good surprise.

Why don't you consider seeing Kat to offer paid tutorials at liberty 3D ?

You should proposing improvements to the Lightwave 3D group. Even if it will not necessarily be taken into account as a priority it will be profitable for all.

prometheus
03-18-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Valerian.

Recently I have started to think..If I should engage in doing payed tutorials, however.... there are some things to consider.
Hardly good enough to do tutorials in a discovery trial version of Lightwave, that means upgrading.
Upgrading...I am still in testing mode wether or not I find this version worthwhile, of if I should focus on some other software for a while.
Upgrading also depends on my personal economy during this upcoming summer, I plan to do a drastic change in my job situation, it may offer me more time to do tutorials, but it also has to do
with my personal economy, if it all falls out according to my design..I may have the economy to upgrade, then itīs a matter of how I feel about Lightwave 2019 VS what I can do in other software.

Contacting Kat, sure..good suggestion, Considerations would be...
Do Liberty3d and kat think itīs acceptable with tutorials from one who isnīt in the vfx industry and actually havenīt worked in the 3d field for a long time?
this means accepting tutorials based on what I can show in the form of imagery, short animations, descriptions ...and a planned teaser trailer for any such eventual tutorial(that is a must)
And another consideration would be...what royalty policy do they practice? and wether or not it would be just as good enough to launch my own site.

I suspect Kat may be coocking something with volumetrics by his own, technically in the sense of understanding it is a piece of cake for him I guess, having a sense
of getting the clouds actually look very close to Real clouds when it concerns noise, and lighting and overalll shape, that is the tricky part, and I may have a good sense on that.

Proposing improvements to the Lightwave Team?
Sure, will do that more accurate with feature request, Ivé been sloppy and just proposing in threads and in the feature request threads.

The Lightwave team has already listen to some improvements in General, still much more to enhance.
Somewhere around June, Juli or August, I will know about my economy, job situation, and I probably will have had enough time to decide about Lightwave 2019.
Currently I am on Lightwave 2015.03, and using blender and occasionally Houdini Apprentice.

Areyos Alektor
03-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Oh these are just simple suggestions :)

But I don't think it's a question of being a 3D veteran but rather of what you have to share with others.

After this is a decision that belongs to you but in view of the time you devote to it and the passion that you testify in your many topics and messages it seems logical to me.

erikals
03-18-2019, 04:53 PM
Liberty3D = you'll do just fine
Gumroad = an alternative (they grab 10% i think?)
LightWave 2019 = email NT, maybe you could get a discount somehow

Bernie2Strokes
03-19-2019, 10:30 PM
I'm thinking of experimenting with VR 360 to apply numerous Lightwave lessons together. But what I've seen online doesn't show any convincing directional cloud range. Do you know if that could be achieve in LW2019?

prometheus
03-20-2019, 03:03 AM
I'm thinking of experimenting with VR 360 to apply numerous Lightwave lessons together. But what I've seen online doesn't show any convincing directional cloud range. Do you know if that could be achieve in LW2019?

hI Bernie2Strokes, who do you respond to?
If me? I donīt understand what you mean by "convincing directional cloud range" can you ellaborate on that?
Do you mean just large skyscape with a full sky cover of clouds or?

Bernie2Strokes
03-20-2019, 03:36 AM
hI Bernie2Strokes, who do you respond to?
If me? I donīt understand what you mean by "convincing directional cloud range" can you ellaborate on that?
Do you mean just large skyscape with a full sky cover of clouds or?

I want to know if Lightwave can create clouds coming in from a horizon for VR files. Whether they be cirrocumulus or heavier, I'm not sure if a VR output can capture the kind of atmospheric lighting that's discussed here. It might be easier to just use HDRI files for a skydome.

prometheus
03-20-2019, 05:07 AM
I want to know if Lightwave can create clouds coming in from a horizon for VR files. Whether they be cirrocumulus or heavier, I'm not sure if a VR output can capture the kind of atmospheric lighting that's discussed here. It might be easier to just use HDRI files for a skydome.

I do not have VR tools in my hands currently, and havenīt had time to do research and test, so unfortunately I can not give an answer to that.

Areyos Alektor
03-24-2019, 06:36 PM
What do you mean by VR output ? You mean Stereography or 360° or for real time ?

I see you're talking about HDRi, can you explain what you wish to do ?

Bernie2Strokes
03-24-2019, 07:08 PM
What do you mean by VR output ? You mean Stereography or 360° or for real time ?

I see you're talking about HDRi, can you explain what you wish to do ?

I want to try creating a 360° panoramic file for html viewing. But I don't know if Lightwave can render such a scene with the kind of lighting effects mentioned here. I'm not even sure if a 360° panorama can even show that. It would be cool, however. Even a sunset behind a building or a mountain would be impressive.

prometheus
03-25-2019, 05:55 AM
I want to try creating a 360° panoramic file for html viewing. But I don't know if Lightwave can render such a scene with the kind of lighting effects mentioned here. I'm not even sure if a 360° panorama can even show that. It would be cool, however. Even a sunset behind a building or a mountain would be impressive.

should be possible without any vr tools.
at lunch break right now and mybe six hours before I can test it..if the discovery version allows it..it may not.

prometheus
03-25-2019, 01:42 PM
you could use the advanced camera, and choose vr camera.

I did try it with 360 cylindrical setting, physical sky and the new sunlight casting rays behind a mountain, should work..though my renders are checker marked due to the discover edition.

Zerowaitstate
03-26-2019, 10:04 PM

Conjure bunny does some vr specific plugins, in relation to 360 capture , AR mods and motion capture from rift controllers

COBRASoft
04-14-2019, 09:11 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHky6KTMURY

prometheus
04-14-2019, 09:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHky6KTMURY

Interesting indeed.

Bernie2Strokes
04-25-2019, 05:59 AM
E-on recently released its latest version of Vue. They say it has new tools for VDB and Cloud Materials. It is supposed to be compatible with LW2019.

https://youtu.be/NAPa-k99Ac0

prometheus
04-25-2019, 07:03 AM
E-on recently released its latest version of Vue. They say it has new tools for VDB and Cloud Materials. It is supposed to be compatible with LW2019.

https://youtu.be/NAPa-k99Ac0

Quite nice, and I just told the sales force that I wasnīt interested in any prescription model when they had their campaign.

The openGL representation of the VDB file is better than Lightwaves, and you seem to have a whole lot more special dedicated modulation options suited for just clouds.
unfortunately he only showcased one tab, I would have liked to see what was in the lighting tab and multiple scattering etc.

Now this will expand on some realism for Hero clouds in vue, but for the larger skyscapes, I think they havenīt improved the noise functions which was quite lousy for clouds.