PDA

View Full Version : Help with rigging some low poly Hair/Mane

Abitsmof
03-12-2019, 01:09 PM
So, I'm fairly new to rigging and animating, I've been looking around for some sort of tutorial of any kind that might help provide insight, but I'm running out of ideas.
The scenerio is I'm building a lower poly character model for a game, and I made series of 13 simple scaled plates to serve as hair. The idea being, the model has a mane that runs down the back of the neck which should flex with said neck when it looks side to side, up, down, etc.
I'm using an old Genoma Unity skeleton, and I weighted the entire torso as a single map and assigned it to every bone in the spine except the head. The mane mesh itself has a gradiant between the Head and Torso weights. When I rotate the Head or Neck bones, this all functions as expected. When I pose any other part of the spine however, it launches the plates off the neck at extreme angles. I tried creating a neck weight map and isolating the mane to just that bone, but it doesn't flex the way I want it to.
Is there a simple solution to avoid launching these parts off the model? Or a more efficient method of creating hair like this that sidesteps the issue in the first place?
Currently using Lightwave 2018.0.7

RebelHill
03-12-2019, 01:14 PM
That should be fine. Remember though that a bone with no weight assignment affects ALL geo... so most likely you have some bone somewhere thats not assigned giving an additional displacement on that area. Either that, or you also got some other map assigned to the hair geo somehow. Either way... it's some other bone(s) in the setup having an effect.

Abitsmof
03-12-2019, 02:09 PM
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, seems there was a few bone issues along the spine/tail.
Still not sure what exactly I messed up, but thankfully it wasn't too hard of a fix once I knew I was looking at the exact opposite end from the source of the problem.