PDA

View Full Version : Help With Edge Selections & Adding Detail

Michael Lizak
03-12-2019, 10:11 AM
I have this object and I'm trying to select only the edges nearing 90 degrees so I can add a chamfer to give the edged definition when subpatched. Maybe a different tool would work better for adding detail, but that's what I came up with. The attached image shows what I'm trying to select. It would also be nice to be able to save the selection, but I have not found it possible to save and restore edge selection sets in LW. I worked in a modeler once that let you select edges by degree which I found quite handy. Any ideas appreciated!

Sensei
03-12-2019, 10:22 AM
It would also be nice to be able to save the selection, but I have not found it possible to save and restore edge selection sets in LW.

TrueArt's Modeling Pack
http://modelingpack.trueart.eu
has Selection Preset Manager tool,
which allows you to save and restore point/edge/polygon selections (unlimited depth).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ZjSKGJxqE

Tim Parsons
03-13-2019, 06:48 AM
You can save edge selections by saving point selection sets (lower right in the interface - W,T,M,C,((S))) once points are saved they can be converted to edges. I use this method to save UV seams all the time.

MonroePoteet
03-13-2019, 10:41 AM
You could also just select the two polygons on the corner of each "petal" and use right-arrow to select the ring. You'd have to do each petal separately, but in the Perspective view with rotation, it goes pretty quickly. Here's a quick video:

Sorry for the humongous, cludgy mouse pointer - the capture software I use magnified it, apparently!

mTp

Michael Lizak
03-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Wow, thanks everybody for taking the time and being so helpful! We don't do much 3D in our Graphics Department so my skills are always a bit rusty. Appreciate the info on a rather elementary topic. -ML

hypersuperduper
03-15-2019, 04:36 AM
You can select those edges with a simple 4 step process:
1. in point mode press w to open the point Statistics and tap the plus next to 3 polygons (it will select corner points)
2. convert selection to edges (you will now have the short edges selected)
3. press "}" to expand selection ( it will add the one poly edge on each of the long sides to the selection )
4. press the right arrow key to select loop.

DONE.