PDA

View Full Version : Resetting a Modeler Backdrop image

Philbert
03-11-2019, 11:27 AM
This is something that has always bugged me. If you set up a Backdrop image in Modeler then change the scale on H or V, then later realize that was wrong. Is there some way to reset it back to the original size? Even if you remove the image and reload it, it's still the same. The only way I've found is by closing Modeler and re-opening it. This happens a lot when I use Automatic Size but maybe had the wrong object selected or my object wasn't the right size.

Markc
03-11-2019, 12:11 PM
Have you saved the backdrop settings once you have it setup.
You can then re-load it.

Ma3rk
03-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Always been an annoying bog to the workflow certainly.

I've Lewis's Chevy Advanced modeling series and in the intro he goes over a number of set up tips. It was done back with 9.6 so a couple things have been fixed, but most are still quite valid. Setting up the viewports & saving the configs gets covered. Might be worth checking into. Of course his mouse has a lot of buttons he configures for hotkeys.

gar26lw
03-12-2019, 07:28 AM
i add the bgd image, then drag out a quad to match it. then you can always autosize to that quad.

this where some little script that sorts this out would probably help.

MonroePoteet
03-12-2019, 08:19 AM
To restore the original size and aspect ratio, it seems to work if I set the Fixed Aspect Ratio on the backdrop image panel, then get into the Image Editor (F6), right-click on the image name to Delete it, then reload it.

For me, the Backdrop functionality in Modeler has always been cumbersome. IMO, the backdrop reference image should be associated with a VIEW (e.g. Top, Back, Right, Bottom, Front, Left), not a PANEL (e.g. Lower Left, Upper Left, Lower Right, Upper Right). Then, regardless of what PANELS I have visible, the backdrop reference image(s) would change accordingly.

I submitted a feature request quite a while ago to implement it this way, but it's been deleted without resolution.

mTp

Philbert
03-13-2019, 09:47 AM
I agree it should be associated with the view but I still like this much better than other programs where you have an actual textured polygon floating in space.

MonroePoteet
03-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Not having used other software, I don't have the comparison but to me it sounds like a poor approach for showing reference images in the orthogonal Views (Top, Back, Right, etc.). Regularly, blueprints or other reference material provide "plans" (top view) and "elevations" (direct side views) which should be seen straight on for correct model orientation, ratios, dimensions, silhouettes, etc.

Here's a good article on the typical views in blueprints, and ideally modeling software would provide methods of showing each type of reference as a background image:

http://www.construction53.com/2011/08/blueprint-types-of-views/

Now, having a geometric form that *forces an alignment* in the Perspective view might be valuable. If the reference material provided to the 3D modeler includes an "Orthographic Projection" (as it's called in the above article, shown on page 78) of the object / building, then when it's loaded it could be mapped to a "backdrop object" and the Backdrop Image metadata could include an "declination and angle of ascention" (or, X,Y,Z position) from which the reference image was drawn. Then a "forced perspective" Perspective View could be aligned to match that Orthogonal Projection (with a separated "forced perspective" View for however many Orthographic Projections are provided to the modeler) to provide additional silhouette and geometric relationship information of the intended object / building.

Blah, blah, blah... :)

mTp

Philbert
03-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Yep I've done whole tutorials on architectural visualization, including setting up the blueprints in the background. You can find some of them in 3D World magazine, Digitaltutors.com, and liberty3d.com.

MonroePoteet
03-13-2019, 02:44 PM
Nice! As opposed to myself who's a complete novice / hobbyist, but it's sure fun to learn stuff. Sorry for "preaching to the choir"! :)

mTp

Philbert
03-13-2019, 03:31 PM
So I see what's happening now. If I hit Automatic Size the Fixed Aspect Reason gets turned off. That's why I never noticed that turning that on would fix it. Because I never even knew it was turned off.

gar26lw
03-14-2019, 07:41 AM
I agree it should be associated with the view but I still like this much better than other programs where you have an actual textured polygon floating in space.

yes, definitely. it’s very good in that way. it would be better if you could have. multiple configurations and flick between then with a key.