PDA

View Full Version : Bump map notworking as expected

Asticles
03-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Hi all, have reported this on june 2018, and still without a solution.

I've seen that bump maps have some sort of offset that makes me impossible to use my library's bump maps.

This is an example of the problem:

Have found a workaround, using the bump layer. But still I'm waiting the solution from the devs.

This is for your information, just in case anyone have this problem, but please devs, take care of this.

LWB-4088

Best regards.

Sensei
03-10-2019, 12:42 PM
How about color space settings in Image Editor?
Normal and bump maps are vulnerable.

Asticles
03-10-2019, 01:34 PM
Bump map as linear.

aperezg
03-10-2019, 08:12 PM
Are you tried reduce the bump intensity less than 100% in the node image 2?

Asticles
03-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Yes, until is barey noticeable.

MarkAH
03-12-2019, 08:13 AM
I like this. Very interesting question, so I did some experiments.
First consulting the documentation:

"Bump Layer
The interface for the Bump Layer node is the same as that for a standard Lightwave texture layer.
The only difference here is that the background for the texture is available as a connectable Bump
input and an Alpha output is available as a scalar, based on the last texture layer’s result."

I thought, 'background ?', how the #### does this node determine the background of an image?
And beside that I can't make much sense of this paragraph.
So I found a pair of inverse bump maps in my library and set up a test like you have there.
Now these images have a light grey, kind of noisy area which I figured to be the background.

And I get the same results. Where the negative image is loaded into the Bump Layer node
that noisy background is ignored and does not affect the surface.
But where it is loaded into a 2D image node and the bump output is used the noise significantly
contributes to the surface.

In the 2D image node 'Bump' is set to 100% and in the Bump Layer node 'Texture Amplitude' is set
to 1.0, which I figure is equivalent.

So, you discovered something useful. There is probably nothing wrong. The Bump Layer just has
the amazing ability to sort out what is the background and ignore it.

Very cool! Thanks for the tip.