PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with insight on when TurbulenceFD can use Lightwave 2019 PBR volumetrics?

prometheus
03-09-2019, 01:21 PM
The new VDB tools and some other small stuff in Lightwave 2019 got me just a bit more interested in doing an upgrade, (not there yet) but that stuff is so interesting that
I need to keep an eye on itīs development.

A key element to invest in the upgrade, or choose to go with other free software or invest in houdini, is that I need a good fluids tool, and though you can get certain simulations with the new VDB Tools, itīs
not the same as a special dedicated fluid simulating tool such as TurbulenceFD.

The problem with TurbulenceFD I always had, has been constant crashes, and lack of things like weight emission and particle advection, when Lightwave 2019 was introduced..it also faced a stepping back in the
terms that you need to switch to legacy volumetrics, which makes it incompatible with any new volumetrics and elements like clouds, you would need to do a workaround with VDB saving, and that workflow isnīt acceptable to me.

So I would like to know in a near future wether or not Jascha has any plans for upcoming updates to include to use PBR volumetrics.
I am probably wasting time to ask forum members here about it, what I do know is that jascha doesnīt seem to respond well on questions asked on his own forums, probably too busy, not sure if he would be more keen to respond
if I send a personal mail to him.

The clock is ticking, and seem to take a long time to adress a lot of these things, Not sure when I should drop my hopes for it and just focus on free tools doing fluid sims with PBR and that without any cost at all for the tools, even though all that fluid simulatiion and pbr volumetric rendering i is available to me right now..for free, that means dropping more and more of Lightwave work, which I reallly wouldnīt like to do.
I can deal with the extra cost for the tools to a certain degree..but not when it at the same time canīt provide the full works.

gar26lw
03-09-2019, 05:02 PM
you already know the answer. we all know the answer. it’s like a relationship where you are wildly attracted but argue all the time. there is a tipping point.

jwiede
03-10-2019, 02:20 PM
you already know the answer. we all know the answer.

Ayup.

OlaHaldor
03-11-2019, 06:21 AM
As long as we're in the dark, and even waiting for TFD2, I'd say it's better to just learn Houdini right now. I have started.. It's new, it's different, it's huge, but I like it.
As long as you can get the VDB from Houdini, you're pretty much set.

If you want to continue with TFD, you can use the conversion tool included with TFD to get VDB of your sim from LightWave. :)

prometheus
03-11-2019, 02:12 PM
As long as we're in the dark, and even waiting for TFD2, I'd say it's better to just learn Houdini right now. I have started.. It's new, it's different, it's huge, but I like it.
As long as you can get the VDB from Houdini, you're pretty much set.

If you want to continue with TFD, you can use the conversion tool included with TFD to get VDB of your sim from LightWave. :)

You know what, I took a stab at Houdini many years ago, some cool stuff...and with the later stuff such as cloudFX, it became more and more attractive and that together with indie versions makes it interesting, there is however a certain
free software that I find more interesting and maybe more worthwhile to learn A lot more about, so Houdini isnīt the first choice here.

That said...between those two, Lightwave is still a sweethart that I wonīt through out the door that easy, even though Our intimacy hasnīt been the best since 2015:D

Keep in mind that with houdini things get frustrating UI workflow vise, things like adding render node before rendering, sky environment rendering needs to check render geometry, while In lightwave I just hit f9 or vpr and the render is there, and the previous Dont sunsky....and now the new Physical sky is easier to setup compared to houdinis version.

In fact, if you look at houdini, blender, modo...I think Lightwave has the best noise volumetric implementation..that doesnīt need fluid simulation or VDB handling, blenders are not really good (while itīs fluid stuff is great..and clouds can be done that way, but volumetrics directly not so good)
And Houdini requires VDB calculation, it has too cook for a while depending on resolution, Lightwave doesnīt, a benefit for lightwave is the more direct respons in VPR, when tweaking cloud noise, doing the same in Houdini and you have to wait for cooking each time, the benefit for Houdini is that once it is cooked, lighting and moving camera or other items in scene with the cloud is in realtime, that isnīt possible with Lightwave.

I may give it a few more shots, trying to contact jascha about my views on it, and contacting..pushing the Lightwave team and urge them to sort this thing out, Both newtek and jascha needs to own this compition, especially since other alternatives are out there at no cost at all, so in my views, basic PBR rendering is a must without the workaround VDB conversion, and weight emission is also something important.

Some background stuff...
in 2010-2013, I used Lightwave to render gym machines, that is the only job where I have used Any 3D work.. and had a need for Lightwave, since then..nada, and itīs all abouot personal projects(which might lead to something profitable maybe someday)

Within 4 months, I may have a drastic change in my work situation...that may open up some opportunities to try and engage more with some 3D Projects, and a possible situation where I can work with more 3D related stuff. But itīs foremost a question of securing income..then doing so with a passion for something you love to do, so I have to wait and see what happens there.

So neither upgrading to Lightwave 2019 ..or investing my money And time in Houdini...is a priority.

I must say though that I liked to see the VDB toolset, letīs hope it is the beginning and not the end of the feature, and this is positive for any upgrade speculation on my side, though some of the stuff is slow to use, but the toolset (among other things) really expands on the ways we can make clouds, either using gas solver, or converting a mesh to a volume and using advection noise so you have more than a simple mesh volume.

Maybe I should "scare" Newtek and Jascha, showcasing the free fluid stuff with PBR rendering, and at the same time fire up turbulenceFD and do a side by side comparision, though I am not sure that will have a positive effect in the style of a "schhush " and then hitting a dog with the fingers to learn how to behave, in the same manner that the dog whisperer handles it.

prometheus
03-11-2019, 02:21 PM

I could, but I do not fancy doing it..with such a workflow, especially if I am designing my own projects, if it was a must for a paid project..perhaps, but I rather use free stuff in such case.