PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back...

Serling
03-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Well, after almost 6 years of not having any interest at all in 3D modeling, I'm back! I attended the DAVE School in April of 2013 and was there 6 weeks. The experience turned me off to modeling so much, I haven't been able to even look at a 3D program again. I decided to upgrade to Lightwave 2019 the other day and give it one more shot. Man, I had forgotten all the keyboard shortcuts and what a lot of the tools did, but am quickly finding my stride again.

I have been devoting most of my time to stock photography, as that generates a modest amount of income for me each month. One of the issues at Shutterstock is that we have a lot of new people coming in that don't know the first thing about lighting. I wanted to put together a simple tutorial on the basics that they could use to help improve their lighting, and found Lightwave 2019 helped me both to create a good looking set of renders, and gave me a reason to enjoy modeling again! :)

So, in honor of my return, here's one of those renders and one of my favorite recent stock photos! :)

Ma3rk
03-08-2019, 11:26 AM
Hey Serling,

Congrats on overcoming your fear of 3D. With the advent of LW 2018 & the new workflow for lighting & surfacing, there'll be a number of new things to learn of course but more importantly, to unlearn.

Rebel Hill has a series on the new system, most of which are on his YT channel, but there area few others that cover the essentials. Seek those out early & save yourself a lot of time & frustration.

On the modeling side, not much has radically changed but there are some add ons that are nearly essential depending on what you need to do of course. Even so, just getting comfortable to the native tools first will get you a long way. I find I'm using the mouse button shortcuts now more & more; it's a constant learning process.

And as far as "we have a lot of new people coming in that don't know the first thing about lighting"... Well, I just "retired" from 30+ years of motion picture lighting (local 728) and I saw a lot of new, up & coming "DP's" who knew the digital camera inside & out, but often had no clue as to actual production lighting. The new tech is largely what saves their butt's.

Serling
03-08-2019, 06:03 PM
And as far as "we have a lot of new people coming in that don't know the first thing about lighting"... Well, I just "retired" from 30+ years of motion picture lighting (local 728) and I saw a lot of new, up & coming "DP's" who knew the digital camera inside & out, but often had no clue as to actual production lighting. The new tech is largely what saves their butt's.

Thank you, Ma3rk! Yeah, I "retired" from broadcast news as a special projects editor in 2013. I had been using Lightwave a lot to help tell the stories we were doing in TV up to that point, but I wanted to learn more and go deeper into it. I had been using Lightwave since 2008, and chose the DAVE School because that's what they were using...

Until I got there.

We were handed Maya and told to become proficient in it as modelers and animators in 6 months. Even the teacher I had there said Maya took a good year to learn properly. Seemed like a waste of time and money to me at that point, especially since Rhythm and Hues had just been forced into bankruptcy, and the job market was suddenly flooded with 20-30 year veterans in 3D. Really, as a 55 year-old noob, I didn't stand a chance. After six weeks there, I cut my losses.

I moved to Tacoma, WA, got a job as a news videographer/editor there, found out I had kidney cancer, lost my left kidney, a couple weeks into my recovery my wife of 35 years left me, and now I'm back in Florida, disabled, and trying to care for my mom, who broke her hip and had a heart attack last year.

Seems like now is a good time to get back into 3D! :)

Looking forward to digging deeper into LW19! :)

Take it easy! Glad to be back!

Ma3rk
03-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Thank you, Ma3rk! Yeah, I "retired" from broadcast news as a special projects editor in 2013. ...

... especially since Rhythm and Hues had just been forced into bankruptcy, and the job market was suddenly flooded with 20-30 year veterans in 3D. Really, as a 55 year-old noob, I didn't stand a chance.

...I moved to Tacoma, WA, ...

... Seems like now is a good time to get back into 3D! :)

!

... Wow. I'd say nearly anything would be a welcome change. Hope you at least have a cat or dog.

I did a few small projects at R&H only as production rented some stage space there. Really sorry to see what happened to them; "Life of Pi" is one of my favs.

To be honest, I've been waiting decades for the affordability & capability of the technology that I knew was coming down the pike, to finally be within my grasp. Tried to warn a couple companies I worked for that digital was just around the corner; they nodded politely then, but now are no longer.

One plus is that I'm not dependant on it for a living; never was; it just supplemented, but working with it gave me a bit of a decided edge on the projects I did work on. I've a low threshold for boredom too and working with CG keeps you focused. I'm not particularly beholden to schedules as I was these days either so can pick & chose projects that interest me.

BTW, is the bird in your shot a Kingfisher?

Serling
03-08-2019, 10:54 PM
BTW, is the bird in your shot a Kingfisher?

Yellow-crowned Night Heron. Had never seen one before moving to Florida. Absolutely stunning birds! Herons make great photographic subjects. I got this one, a Great Blue Heron, in Washington state.

And this one, a Great Egret, in Florida.

If I hadn't had my photography these last few years, I would've lost my sanity too, I think. :)

Ma3rk
03-08-2019, 11:55 PM
Yellow-crowned Night Heron. Had never seen one before moving to Florida. Absolutely stunning birds! Herons make great photographic subjects. I got this one, a Great Blue Heron, in Washington state.

And this one, a Great Egret, in Florida.

If I hadn't had my photography these last few years, I would've lost my sanity too, I think. :)

Very nice. Must take patience. I've been slowly migrating some nice Daz animal assets to Lightwave of late.

I'm hoping to get back into actual photography at some point though. Put myself through school with it, but kept burning out. Having moved back to the Pacific NW I've all sorts of subject matter again. Got a nice high end film scanner last year but it's limited to 35mm. If I can find one, hope to get a 2 1/4 format eventually. Even so, I've way to much back log already.

Wouldn't mind exploring shooting HDR's.

Serling
03-09-2019, 12:20 AM
Very nice. Must take patience. I've been slowly migrating some nice Daz animal assets to Lightwave of late.

I'm hoping to get back into actual photography at some point though. Wouldn't mind exploring shooting HDR's.

HDR is fun! When you do it with bracketed images, it's true hDR, but using a single image it's called "tone mapping". Some types of images can handle it, others can't, but it's always a treat when you get one that just jumps off the screen! Here's an original image and the same image tone mapped in Photoshop. Tone mapping really enhances the light and shadow areas of the image.

P.S. This is a Little Blue Heron we have near the house in Florida.

I've recently gotten into sky replacement in Photoshop: Original on left, embellished on right:

Ma3rk
03-09-2019, 08:53 AM
Wait until you discover using spherical HDR environments in 3D then!

Here's an example of a Daz conversion I've been working on. Easier to just repost here rather than find the other thread.

The first is basic textures as imported & simply converted to Principled.

This is after setting the surfaces up with actual PBR surfaces:

And one I'm still playing with:

Serling
03-10-2019, 01:03 AM
Very cool! :)

COBRASoft
03-10-2019, 04:36 AM
I've been quite in to photography too last years, much less 3D. What camera you have and what lenses?

Serling
03-10-2019, 04:41 PM
I've been quite in to photography too last years, much less 3D. What camera you have and what lenses?

Canon 5D MkIV with Canon EF16-35 f/4, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8, Sigma 24-105 f/4 Art, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, Canon EF100-400 MkII, Sigma 150-600 Sports.

Nikon D500 and D7200 with Nikkor 16-35 f/4, Tamron 18-400, Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 G2, Nikon 50 f/1.8, Nikkor 200-500 f/5.6.

Canon XF300 Full HD video camera.

COBRASoft
03-12-2019, 01:38 PM
Wow, nice set!

Here's mine:
Canon 5D III (AA filter removed), Canon 11-24 f/4, Canon 35 f/1.4 II, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 II IS, Canon 100-400 II, Canon 100 f/2.8, Sigma 50 f/1.4, Samyang 12 F2/8 Fisheye
Canon 7D II (I hope they replace this soon and make it a bit more like the Nikon D500)
Canon 1.4x III extender, 2x III extender

I've pretty heavily invested in Canon glass :)

P.S.: That D500 - Nikkor 200-500 combo is really amazing, even with extenders. My brother has them and my 7D/100-400 are not even close.

Ma3rk
03-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Came across this that might be of interest to some of you then:

http://noemotionhdrs.net/

COBRASoft
03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Thx! I'll be having some nice toys soonish to make 360 HDR's. Never tried it before.

Lewis
03-13-2019, 12:42 PM
Those bird 3D models look great, must be high polycount ;) :D.

Serling
03-13-2019, 11:20 PM
Those bird 3D models look great, must be high polycount ;) :D.

Meh...the modeling was easy. The feathers? LOL!

Tobian
03-14-2019, 07:15 AM
Welcome back! The surfacing and lighting changes will be confusing at first, just don't assume everything is the same as it was and start with fresh eyes, and it should make sense. Modelling, you should get right back into it. Good luck!

Serling
03-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Welcome back! The surfacing and lighting changes will be confusing at first, just don't assume everything is the same as it was and start with fresh eyes, and it should make sense. Modelling, you should get right back into it. Good luck!

The surfacing and texturing took me a bit to figure out. Nothing was put back where I left it! :D

Got it figured out, though, and just finished this. It's up for review on Shutterstock now. Hopefully it will be a massive seller! :)

prometheus
03-17-2019, 02:08 PM
The surfacing and texturing took me a bit to figure out. Nothing was put back where I left it! :D

Got it figured out, though, and just finished this. It's up for review on Shutterstock now. Hopefully it will be a massive seller! :)

Just a question, if not made that way by intent, shouldnīt the bumping on the helmet be inversed crumple? when hammering you get indents with
a hammer with slight round head perhaps, getting the kind of bump you have requires hitting the helmet from the inside, which is almost impossible I think:D

good luck, I love all kinds of helmet by the way...mostly.

Serling
03-17-2019, 02:29 PM
Just a question, if not made that way by intent, shouldnīt the bumping on the helmet be inversed crumple? when hammering you get indents with
a hammer with slight round head perhaps, getting the kind of bump you have requires hitting the helmet from the inside, which is almost impossible I think:D

good luck, I love all kinds of helmet by the way...mostly.

That is inverted crumple - minus 25 on the depth. I wish they had a "hammered" texture, but it would probably look like Barney at Moe's! :D (That's a Simpson's reference, for anyone who might not get it!) :D

I changed the look of it last night, adding more thickness to it and (actually) applying the right surface to the fibers. I rendered it out at 12,000 x 6,000 for sale on Shutterstock.

This is the new one...

prometheus
03-17-2019, 03:11 PM
That is inverted crumple - minus 25 on the depth. I wish they had a "hammered" texture, but it would probably look like Barney at Moe's! :D (That's a Simpson's reference, for anyone who might not get it!) :D

I changed the look of it last night, adding more thickness to it and (actually) applying the right surface to the fibers. I rendered it out at 12,000 x 6,000 for sale on Shutterstock.

This is the new one...

What I ment is that the "Look" of your helmet crumple should be inverted, itīs not, unless intentional..I donīt think it looks right in the sense it has been treated
with hammering.

Serling
03-17-2019, 03:50 PM
What I ment is that the "Look" of your helmet crumple should be inverted, itīs not, unless intentional..I donīt think it looks right in the sense it has been treated
with hammering.

I'm not sure what you mean by "inverted" then. I tried the crumple on both the plus and minus sides, and the minus looked better to me. I'll try playing with it more, but this one will be going up for sale soon, I hope. :)

Serling
03-17-2019, 05:09 PM
OK, I tried it on the "plus" side of Bump Amp again, and messed with some other settings, and also added an FBM texture. Is this more what you were thinking of?

prometheus
03-18-2019, 04:50 AM
OK, I tried it on the "plus" side of Bump Amp again, and messed with some other settings, and also added an FBM texture. Is this more what you were thinking of?

Exactly, that is the crumple setting I would suggest to be more accurate to a real hammered treating of a helmet.
Suggestions would also be to tone down the yellow saturation so it feels more metal, not sure which Lightave version you have..if you got 2018/19, then some of the new PBR metal presets should be a good basis for metal helmets..

Otherwise, use conductor node initially and then feed the procedural bumps in there, toning down the saturation of the color will help sell the metal look.

Serling
03-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Exactly, that is the crumple setting I would suggest to be more accurate to a real hammered treating of a helmet.
Suggestions would also be to tone down the yellow saturation so it feels more metal, not sure which Lightave version you have..if you got 2018/19, then some of the new PBR metal presets should be a good basis for metal helmets..

Otherwise, use conductor node initially and then feed the procedural bumps in there, toning down the saturation of the color will help sell the metal look.

Thank you. Will try that next time I open it up.