PDA

View Full Version : Mars Exploration Rover - Spirit

Rich
01-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Anyone watching the coverage on NASA TV? They have been showing an awsome 3D animation that shows what it will look like when Spirit lands. Anyone know if Lightwave was used to create this animation?

cresshead
01-03-2004, 09:14 PM
let's hope it lands okay and doesn't fall to the same fate that seems to have fallen on "beagle 2"....vanished into a unforseen crater on mars...

Rich
01-03-2004, 09:16 PM
About 15 mins left till it lands. I am crossing my fingers!

petermark
01-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Whoohooo! It's down and they got a signal! NASA rulz!!

Paul Goodrich
01-03-2004, 11:45 PM
It's not only landed but signaled that's OK and UPRIGHT! yee haa
Paul Goodrich

shermanlu
01-04-2004, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Rich
Anyone watching the coverage on NASA TV? They have been showing an awsome 3D animation that shows what it will look like when Spirit lands. Anyone know if Lightwave was used to create this animation?

Yes, check out this site.

http://www.maasdigital.com/starpro/

and see the animation in gallery.

archiea
01-04-2004, 01:32 AM
Man -oh man... I can;t wait until you can buy kits from estees and Tamiya that will let you send your own little RC cars to the moon... all controllable from your laptop...

heck, I'll take just a sim....

Match-Boy
01-04-2004, 03:53 AM
Glad to know that I'm not the only lightwave user to be hooked on Mars. I have been going to the JPL site for years since Pathfinder.
Here is the site incase you wanted to go to the source

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/index.html

Maybe we can start up a mars lightwave page. We can all post our images of what we think of Mars.

Matt

mkiii
01-04-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by petermark
Whoohooo! It's down and they got a signal! NASA rulz!!

Which NASA is that? The one that has a bunch of grounded Shuttles, or the one that lost their last probe to mars because they couldn't tell the difference between imperial & metric? :D

Rich
01-04-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by shermanlu
Yes, check out this site.

http://www.maasdigital.com/starpro/

and see the animation in gallery.

Thanks for the link!

anieves
01-04-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by mkiii
Which NASA is that? The one that has a bunch of grounded Shuttles, or the one that lost their last probe to mars because they couldn't tell the difference between imperial & metric? :D

very mature, tasteless.

Tesselator
01-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by cresshead
let's hope it lands okay and doesn't fall to the same fate that seems to have fallen on "beagle 2"....vanished into a unforseen crater on mars...

No! Everyone knows that the Martians intercepted that. :D

cresshead
01-04-2004, 09:12 AM
...as they say humour is on "many levels"..coud it be some have decided to take the "humour lift" the the basement??

..and as for us "englanders"...well beagle2 is "still lost at sea"...so we're no better currently...everyone makes mistakes..that how we progress...mistake..learn from it..move forward..et al.

pauland
01-04-2004, 09:15 AM

I wish good luck to NASA. It's a result us Brits would have hoped for for Beagle II. We can all applaude when things go right.

Lets hope that chip drops off the shoulder real soon.

Paul

hopicus
01-04-2004, 12:01 PM
What a freakin' waste of money... they spent 800 million on this mars thing, i dought theres anything that this mars rover can tell us thats going to be worth that much... plus, correct me if im wrong here, but guess where the're getting that 800 million, thats right "Joe Tax payer" what a freakin' pointless waste.

Rich
01-04-2004, 02:06 PM
I disagree that this mission is a waste of money. Space exploration is expensive because it is very dangerous and complicated. The cost to the tax payer is very small. NASA’s entire budget only counts for about 1% of Government spending. This mission will try to detect if Mars ever had large bodies of water. If Spirit proves this theory then we will be one step closer proving that life exists outside of Earth. Also if Man is ever to step foot on Mars then many probes will be needed to ensure that the astronauts arrive safely and pick the best location to do science research.

simonbrewer
01-04-2004, 02:10 PM
What a freakin' waste of money... they spent 800 million on this mars thing, i dought theres anything that this mars rover can tell us thats going to be worth that much... plus, correct me if im wrong here, but guess where the're getting that 800 million, thats right "Joe Tax payer" what a freakin' pointless waste.

800 million on 2 Mars probes is nothing compared to the billions spent every day by military forces across the globe on weapons for killing each other. The continued peaceful exploration of space for science is worth every penny.

prospector
01-04-2004, 03:09 PM
Gee, good thing the Queen didn't tell Columbus it wasn't worth the money..:(

never know what the worth is until you get there.

hopicus
01-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Rich
I disagree that this mission is a waste of money. Space exploration is expensive because it is very dangerous and complicated. The cost to the tax payer is very small. NASA’s entire budget only counts for about 1% of Government spending. This mission will try to detect if Mars ever had large bodies of water. If Spirit proves this theory then we will be one step closer proving that life exists outside of Earth. Also if Man is ever to step foot on Mars then many probes will be needed to ensure that the astronauts arrive safely and pick the best location to do science research.

Im sure theres a whole lot of people right now on this planet who actually need that "1%" ( people struggling to survive and whatnot) more than we need to know whether or not mars ever had water or prove that theres life outside of earth.

Im just not seeing how that information would actual be worth 800 million+.

hopicus
01-04-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by simonbrewer
800 million on 2 Mars probes is nothing compared to the billions spent every day by military forces across the globe on weapons for killing each other. The continued peaceful exploration of space for science is worth every penny.

too sad and too true... except for the "every penny" bit... i guess i'd be okay with it if it wasn't some of my pennies that you were talking about... ( i happen to like my pennies:D )

JamesCurtis
01-04-2004, 04:07 PM
You think it's all a waste? I beg to differ on that opinion. One thing that does come from NASA and the exploration of space is something more 'down to earth' - Namely jobs and work for quite a large number of people!!!

hopicus
01-04-2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by JamesCurtis
You think it's all a waste? I beg to differ on that opinion. One thing that does come from NASA and the exploration of space is something more 'down to earth' - Namely jobs and work for quite a large number of people!!!

That would all be fine and dandy if I wasn't one of the ones helping to pay for those jobs. Im not really seeing where Im getting any kind of a return on my tax paying investment from employing people at nasa... what do they do for me? or anyone else? besides providing answers to trivia questions? true or false mars once had great lakes of water?

I dont think they do nearlly enough to actually keep nasa in business... if theres one thing the goverment could scrap, its nasa...

perhaps we could use that money so that everyone can have health care and upgrades to Lightwave 8 :D I'd be for that :D

riki
01-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Excellent news well done NASA.

Also I don't think it's a waste of money. A lot of the scientific research used to build probes etc gets passed on to other sectors. It's a great investment, plus a great acomplishment. I'm sure if it wasn't for space research and the technology it produces, we wouldn't be chatting here today.

hopicus
01-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by riki
Excellent news well done NASA.

Also I don't think it's a waste of money. A lot of the scientific research used to build probes etc gets passed on to other sectors. It's a great investment, plus a great acomplishment. I'm sure if it wasn't for space research and the technology it produces, we wouldn't be chatting here today.

That may have been true at some point in history, but im not so sure about now...

I'd bet the gaming industry now does more in advancing technology than nasa.

I'd bet if we ever see a "terminator" like future, ( fingers crossed ) it will most likely be caused by some game company trying to make a kick blankety blank game... :D

riki
01-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Tech resource has to be a winner in my book.

re: http://nctn.hq.nasa.gov/innovation/Innovation_81/welcome.html

While NASA’s role at the cutting edge of research in space exploration is well known, the potential commercial applications of this effort are equally inspiring and renowned. The benefits of

NASA technology are wide ranging–from home water filters and athletic shoes to advances in medical research, airline safety and fire fighting techniques. The application of NASA’s technologies also contribute to the creation of jobs, companies, and industries. Understanding gained through NASA research and space exploration promotes more effective skills in a wide range of everyday technologies and aids in producing and processing many materials, including metals, semiconductors, polymers and glass. We drive cars and fly airplanes that were designed using NASA computer software. We live in homes constructed with insulation material that was developed using NASA technology. We work in office buildings that carry electricity through flat conductor cables that incorporate NASA technology.

hrgiger
01-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by hopicus
That would all be fine and dandy if I wasn't one of the ones helping to pay for those jobs. Im not really seeing where Im getting any kind of a return on my tax paying investment from employing people at nasa... what do they do for me? or anyone else? besides providing answers to trivia questions? true or false mars once had great lakes of water?

I dont think they do nearlly enough to actually keep nasa in business... if theres one thing the goverment could scrap, its nasa...

perhaps we could use that money so that everyone can have health care and upgrades to Lightwave 8 :D I'd be for that :D

Out of that 800 million, that wouldn't even be a quarter for you a year in your taxes. You've probably lost more then that in your couch this month that you'll never see again that will also never feed anyone or make anyone's life better. So as far as you being a taxpayer and not wanting to see your money go towards space travel, perhaps if you wrote Nasa a strongly worded letter, they'd be happy to refund your 11 cents.

I don't see anything unimportant about answering questions about the universe we live in. I'd rather see my money invested in space travel then meaningless social programs like welfare. It's all dandy to feed the poor and underprivelaged, but the way it runs in this country, it only enables people to be poor and not to find jobs. Not that it matters, I don't think I have much say in how my tax money is spent anyway. Look at the last election, more people voted for Gore and yet Bush is President. Some democracy.:rolleyes:

Rich
01-04-2004, 05:31 PM
If it wasn't for the Government funding things like NASA we may not even have the ability to use programs like Lightwave. Here is some history behind 3d

3-D: The first 3-D system was probably Timothy Johnson's 3-D CAD system mentioned above (1963, funded by the Air Force). The "Lincoln Wand" by Larry Roberts was an ultrasonic 3D location sensing system, developed at Lincoln Labs (1966, ARPA funded). That system also had the first interactive 3-D hidden line elimination. An early use was for molecular modelling [18]. The late 60's and early 70's saw the flowering of 3D raster graphics research at the University of Utah with Dave Evans, Ivan Sutherland, Romney, Gouraud, Phong, and Watkins, much of it government funded. Also, the military-industrial flight simulation work of the 60's - 70's led the way to making 3-D real-time with commercial systems from GE, Evans&Sutherland, Singer/Link (funded by NASA, Navy, etc.). Another important center of current research in 3-D is Fred Brooks' lab at UNC (e.g. [2]).

Source http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~amulet/papers/uihistory.tr.html

Rich
01-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by hopicus

I see that you mention health care. A lot of medical research has been and is done on the Space Station and the Space Shuttles. NASA helps fund research into finding cures for diseases like Aids and Cancer

Match-Boy
01-04-2004, 05:52 PM
Is there anyway to just mute the Moron who does not understand what Nasa really means. Stupid uneducated fool typing on a computer in a 3d program forum and whines like some tree hugging little biotch that Nasa has done nothing for him. You are like the unibomber who complained about technology and the industrial revolution but used a typewritter to write his statements.

Fool everything you are complaing about is 2 feet in front of your dumb nose. The world owes a great deal of its comfort and technology to Nasa from Velcro and Tang to the micro processor. And all in between. You want food. Farmers use Satalites to understand weather so they can grow better crops. And thats just one. We could go on for ages telling of how Nasa and space exploration benifits our lives every day.

If you don't like it may I suggest finding a cave, selling your car, take a sledge to the computer, hugg a tree and sing Kumbai yah. There is an expression Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Get over your liberal biases and leftwing retoric.

Here I was only going to complain about the sour grapes from some fool from the UK who was strictly jealous that his countries attempt tanked out.

Realize all the good that comes from Nasa and the exploration of space. Nessecity is the Mother of Invention. We live longer because of Nasa, examine the human body better because of Nasa. New medicines. New electronics, artificial limbs for parapalegics. The only type of person who fails to see the benifits of what this little tiny rover will do for mankind one day is an idiot who lacks imagination. Lacks foresight.

mkiii
01-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by pauland
I wish good luck to NASA. It's a result us Brits would have hoped for for Beagle II. We can all applaude when things go right.

Lets hope that chip drops off the shoulder real soon.

Paul

No chip here dude.
I'm all for space exploration.
That doesn't alter the facts. If you don't like them, just ignore them.

pauland
01-05-2004, 01:35 AM
No chip here dude.
As a brit, I'm an unlikely dude.
That doesn't alter the facts. If you don't like them, just ignore them.
It seems rather churlish, in the face of a great NASA success, to point out some failings. Whatever NASAs failings are, they have many spectacular successes.

We're all aware of the failures you have mentioned. Why bother, even to mention them at all?

Most of use our mistakes to make us stronger, rather than dwell on them. I hope NASA is the same.

Finally, a short comment on the Beagle II project. Regardless of whether we ever hear from the lander again, I am immensly proud of the project team that managed to put some pride back into britain.

Paul

badllarma
01-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Well I've been really intrested in this as well, although I'm a Brit (so long Beagle 2:( ) I think it good and healthy that every one is trying to get up there and find as much about the place as possible.

Now if they found something like oil on Mars I bet within 10 years you could go there for a hoilday/vacation. You see how much money would be thrown into projects then :D

Our crowded little planet is going to become too small one day so we may as well make a start looking else where now in my point of view. :)

colkai
01-05-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by badllarma
Now if they found something like oil on Mars I bet within 10 years you could go there for a hoilday/vacation. You see how much money would be thrown into projects then

The frightening thing is you're probably not far from the truth there ;)
Finda huge stash of oil / gold / minerals and BOOM! - There would be so much effort put into 'claiming' it first it would be scary! :p

pauland
01-05-2004, 03:30 AM
The comments about oil are surely right because oil wouldn't be present unless there had been life on Mars...

Paul

Match-Boy
01-05-2004, 03:36 AM
I find it really sad that people can not feel good so long as America has sucesses. Too many people have there heads up their arse.

It stinks that Beagle 2 went down. I look forward to Beagle 3 kicking butt one day. I look forward more till one day someone walking on Mars and picking up all these probes and bringing them back.

But alas everyone is too political. We could not escape the inevitible why Bush is President and Gore is not in a forum for a little probe on Mars. To answer that look to the 2002 world series. The Giants had more home runs than the Angels did. But the Angels won due to winning more games. Accept that this is a republic. Bush won more states. Gore lost because he could not win his own home state. Back in 84 Mondale got his butt kicked badly by Reagan but still at least his homestate of Minnisota voted for him. That should say volumes to why Gore really lost. He lost touch with his own people.

Just because America fails at something It is not our Comupance. It's not like we deserved it in some way for being a strong nation. We should enjoy each other countries sucesses. And possibly help out when we fail. The UK did a fine job in sending their probe. A for effort guys. All our lives are so much better for Space exploration. And will be more so in the future. I am sure if in 2 weeks if Opportunity fails some will be happy because of it. I pity you people that would think that. I wonder what great good have you done with your lives. There is a word for such behavior. It's called Jealousy.

So I say three cheers for Beagle 2. Three cheers for the Spirit. Good luck and Godspeed Opportunity. I look forward in 2 years for your returns and the betterment of all Man because of it.

" One small step for a man, One giant leap for all mankind"

Dodgy
01-05-2004, 03:39 AM
Probably all too true Colkai! On tv a few years back a Brit MP was going on about how we didn't need to worry about resources, as there are bucket loads of whatever you need in the asteroid belt, and we could just go and fetch them. While true, if we used up all our resources, he neglected to mention how we would get there :)

As for nasa's budget, if you look at any government's spending, you'll see an unimaginable amount spent on 'defense' literally billions and billions. And that's not to say how much the US/UK spend on 'Insurance' for their arms manufacturers, so that if some third world warmongers default on their payments, the US/UK pays the rest of the bill! Free arms for 3rd world countries! Yay! Don't it make you proud!

T-Light
01-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Hopefully in ten years we'll all be driving vehicles powered by something other than fossil fuels.

http://avt.inel.gov/hydrogen/pdf/MercedesSprinterreport.pdf

As we can create diamonds/ rubies etc in a lab, the only mineral/metal I can presume they would look for would be gold.
If they found gold on mars, at the current state of technology, it would be more expensive simply to ship it home (not even including refing/production etc) than it's worth.

BTW, If they find oil (aka evidence of past life), wouldn't the environmentalists demand decades worth of research before allowing humans to set foot there?

As much as I'd fancy a trip to the Costa Del Canals, I think we may have a bit of a wait yet.

ps Nice one NASA :cool:

pps: We're still thinking of you Beagle2 :(

hrgiger
01-05-2004, 06:20 AM
10 years is pretty optimistic for space tourism. They'll just be planning the first manned mission to Mars in 10 years. 25 to 30 years is more like it. I hope to set foot on another planet in my lifetime though....

badllarma
01-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
10 years is pretty optimistic for space tourism. They'll just be planning the first manned mission to Mars in 10 years. 25 to 30 years is more like it. I hope to set foot on another planet in my lifetime though....

Are but have you heard of the Star Chaser project? It's headed by a proffesor at one of our local univerities in Salford, Manchester he is currenly working on the X prize and to help fund it will be taking bookings to put people in orbit all be it NOT taking them to another planet but it is a form of space tourism. X prize being the first manned flight by a private company or individual without goverment funding of any sort, apparently worth 10 million.

see here for more details

http://www.starchaser.co.uk/

prospector
01-05-2004, 09:49 AM
badllarma
don't know what the milage charges would be but
Spirit could go over and give ya a jump start;)

badllarma
01-05-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by prospector
badllarma
don't know what the milage charges would be but
Spirit could go over and give ya a jump start;)

:D
Taxis on New Years Eve were bad enough for my budget :D

Beamtracer
01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
"Houston, we have a problem!"

What has gone wrong? It seems the Spirit Rover has been lost.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3421071.stm

Hardware failure? Software glitch? A severe electrical storm over the Deep Space receiving dish in Australia may have had something to do with it.

What a time for it to happen. Spirit had just sent back the most baffling data yet, just before it broke down, that seemed to indicate the ground on Mars was in fact wet mud.

A confirmation of muddy ground on Mars would have been definitive proof that there exists microbial life on Mars.

I thought they'd have proof of life on Mars within days. I was wondering what NASA would do. Would they allow the President to announce "life on Mars"? What would be the reaction from the religious communities?

Now the thing conks out!!! What a time to break down!!!

hrgiger
01-22-2004, 06:06 PM
A confirmation of muddy ground on Mars would have been definitive proof that there exists microbial life on Mars.

Well, no. It would only be definate proof that there was oxygen and hydrogen on Mars.

stib
01-22-2004, 06:22 PM
What has gone wrong? It seems the Spirit Rover has been lost.

mmm delicious.. send... more.. robotsss...

nerdyguy227
01-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Tesselator
quote:Originally posted by cresshead

No! Everyone knows that the Martians intercepted that.

They'v done it agen!!!!!!!

js33
01-22-2004, 08:44 PM
They've lost and regained contact at some point with almost every craft they've (NASA) sent out.
They will try to reestablish contact Friday at 3AM PST (1-23-04).

Beam I thought for a long time that you were from somewhere along the US West Coast given your liberal stance on things. I didn't think you were from Britian until lately. So what city are you from? Just curious.

Cheers,
JS

Freak
01-22-2004, 08:56 PM
Houston............ We have a problem!

We have already lost the signal!
And no the Storm in Canberra, had nothing to do with the problem

We just spent a Billion Dollars to get a few photographs
or some red dirt and some rocks........ All touched up in LW3D..

The bad thing is here, How can i ever trust that NASA really
is on Mars, when JPL use LW all the time? :)

Add to this the Moon Landing myths, Weapons of Mass Destruction, and Lightwave3D 8.0 will be out in 2003....

And frankly the lies that come out constantly from the US government, makes it really hard to believe in anything that the
Country that cried wolf! has got to say about such things..... :)

Off course Space Exploration is more important than anything!
(except rigged elections, military hardware, senate pay increases)

I mean since man walked on the moon, it was one giant leap for Mankind, that was so important, i that we didn't need to go back again.

Imagine how good a LW animation, could of done for a Billion Bucks!!!! I'm thinking a full feature, Full motion Stereographic IMAX film complete with all the bells and whistles....

Perhaps we should use a Mars rover to look for Osama!!! ;)

Xacto
01-22-2004, 09:42 PM
I guess the FREAK is the only one on earth that has not benefited from the incredible work that the US space program has achieved. Here is just a small "snip-it" of what NASA has contributed to mankind;

Long-distance telephone system is the result of communications satellite technology developed by NASA over a 30-year period.

The monitoring systems used in intensive care units and heart rehabilitation wards were developed from the systems used to monitor astronauts during the first space missions in the early 1960s.

NASA developed software that is now being used around the world to be used to design everything from chemical plants, refineries and trains to cars, acoustic speakers, electric guitars and skyscrapers.

NASA’s research in developing and demonstrating space-based beacon locators was used to create an international, satellite-based search and rescue system that has helped save almost 13,000 lives worldwide.

NASA-sponsored researchers working on methods to grow plants in space have produced worldrecord crops on Earth using hydroponics, a technique that uses intense lighting and high levels of carbon dioxide to grow crops in water.

As a result of technology developed through the Hubble Space Telescope program, biopsies can be performed with a needle instead of a scalpel. The needle biopsies benefit patients by leaving only a small mark rather than a large scar and by costing significantly less—an average of $850 compared to $3,500 for a traditional biopsy.

New lighting technology originally developed by NASA for plant growth experiments in space is improving the treatment of brain and skin tumors and other medical problems such as wounds.

The monitoring systems used in intensive care units and heart rehabilitation wards were developed from the systems used to monitor astronauts during the first space missions in the early 1960s.

NASA developed software that is now being used around the world to be used to design everything from chemical plants, refineries and trains to cars, acoustic speakers, electric guitars and skyscrapers.

NASA’s research in developing and demonstrating space-based beacon locators was used to create an international, satellite-based search and rescue system that has helped save almost 13,000 lives worldwide.

NASA-sponsored researchers working on methods to grow plants in space have produced worldrecord crops on Earth using hydroponics, a technique that uses intense lighting and high levels of carbon dioxide to grow crops in water.

As a result of technology developed through the Hubble Space Telescope program, biopsies can be performed with a needle instead of a scalpel. The needle biopsies benefit patients by leaving only a small mark rather than a large scar and by costing significantly less—an average of $850 compared to $3,500 for a traditional biopsy.

New lighting technology originally developed by NASA for plant growth experiments in space is improving the treatment of brain and skin tumors and other medical problems such as wounds.

Now... grow up :)

Freak
01-23-2004, 04:09 AM
Dude, Learn to relax, chill-out a little..... learn to be COOL!

It was supposed to be tounge in cheek, sarcasm..... (look it up)
You know, kinda true, yet somehow stupidly funny.....
And well, i found myself amusing...... (thats really all that matters)
it doesn't happen very often.... (well when i see my reflection in the mirror, i have to chuckle...... a little)

It's funny but you seem to follow me around.....
Do you really have nothing better to do? (retorical question)

Look if you don't find it funny....... That's cool...... (i'm crying on the inside really) but save yourself some trouble.....
(And me, i'm not into History lessons) And my god it looks like you digged deep to impress me..... (congrats)

You even cut and pasted someone elses work, twice instead of just the normal and adequate once.....

But i'm not really interested in YOUR opinion of how YOU THINK
NASA has influenced MY life.... I mean you are of course the foremost authority on the subject.... afterall..... :)

You see more Sarcasm.....!!! :)

NASA is so important we slashed funding by 5 Bazillion percent in the last 10 years...

Honestly i wouldn't of bothered to reply back, but you went to so
much effort just to be impressive....... I like it!

And sometimes (be it rarely) i'm so good at taking the piss, i even impress myself.. :)

Rich
01-23-2004, 07:51 AM
The reason they had their funding cut in the past is because they are funded by people that don't have space exploration as one of their priorities. Luckily there are private companies that are funding projects like the X-prize. One day they will begin to make a space tourism industry and not have to rely on our government to take us into space. Of course it's going to take a long time but it might eventually surpass NASA's budget and make it possible for humans to leave this planets orbit and go beyond and colonize the moon or mars. If only the government would allow NASA to accept private donations. Then maybe there would be money coming from people who actually care about space then those who wish their tax dollars to go towards something else.

stib
01-25-2004, 05:28 AM
I have to point out that you can't really argue for a space programme just because of its value for research.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather you guys spent a little less on weapons of mass destruction and more on space ships, but if there was no space programme and you just put the money straight into research, especially pure research, you would acheive a lot more. Hoping for the occasional spin-off from the space programme is not a really efficient way of funding research.

I think a better argument for the space programme is that exploring other worlds is a breathtakingly awesome thing to do. And it certainly beats lobbing bombs at other people's countries whenever there's a presidential election looming.

Hiraghm
01-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Since it's our money, we can spend it how we like. Personally, I wish we'd use more of our WMDs....

Steve said, "All that stuff was just 'spin-off', you know. Science happens because one day a scientist wakes up and says, 'Today I'm going to invent toothpaste.' If he didn't plan to invent a better wheelchair, he can't take credit for it."
Fallen Angels

Science is not "efficient". Efficiency depends a great deal on what you know already, and science is about finding out what you *don't* know. We got what we planned to from the Apollo program, so we got our payback. But we got dividends galore in what we couldn't have planned... on the "spinoffs".

Personally, I'd like to fund NASA's research into putting WMDs on spaceships...

TSpyrison
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Proof of what happend to the rover!!!

TSpyrison
01-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Forgot to attach the pic..