PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up a mesh for 3d printing, LW 11.6

starbase1
03-06-2019, 08:30 AM
I'm trying to help someone make 3d prints from a few of my models.

It's made a lot more tricky because he is new to the software he is using at the other end! And I don't have a copy.

In a 2 of the 3 cases it is failing to export to STL. While I expected some problems, (I've made no effort to avoid really thin elements in these old models for example), that's not a good sign, and I think it would be a good start to fix these problems.

I already did the usual checks for 1 and 2 point polys, and tripled the non planar ones.
Any other hints, tips or tools for making good conversions for 3d printing in LW 11.6?

Thank you!
Nick

rustythe1
03-06-2019, 12:25 PM
use meshmixer from Autodesk, its free and very powerful but simple to use, lets you fix and hollow models, re mesh them, and even lets you set up printer trays,

starbase1
03-06-2019, 12:50 PM
Thanks, will give that a go...

starbase1
03-07-2019, 04:37 AM
Meshmixer seems to work really well!
Thanks for the tip.

rustythe1
03-07-2019, 07:26 AM
yea, its funny how free software can have better algorithms than some of the very expensive software, the hollowing etc is a 100 times better than the full version of netfabb, that costs 2500 odd a year, and they are both owned by Autodesk! the only thing netfabb does better is to solidify many meshes into one, its very fast but unfortunately Autodesk dropped the 200 hobby version and only have the expensive subscription one after they acquired netfabb,