PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX Stand Modeler crashing LW

Philbert
02-26-2019, 06:56 PM
I've been trying to use Stand Modeler. Really basic stuff. I open it pick my hair surface and hit grow, then add a couple of guides, then hit OK. LightWave crashes, well Modeler I mean. I've tried this about 6 times and it crashes every time. Any ideas?

This is 2018.0.7

erikals
02-26-2019, 07:03 PM
shouldn't happen

https://i.imgur.com/uyEQZSe.png

do check that you ain't got no junk geometry. - 2 point poly chains, etc

Philbert
02-26-2019, 07:08 PM
I did submit a crash report the first time it happened, seemed redundant to send one every time. It's pretty basic geometry, Subpatched, it renders fine.

erikals
02-26-2019, 07:31 PM
oh, sure, 1 should be enough.

often when i have plugin crashes it is due to 1pp or 2pp junk geometry.
other than that, i'll let other 2018 users chime in. :)

Oldcode
02-27-2019, 11:13 AM
If you really want to make hair for your characters in Lightwave, I suggest downloading Blender and using it's hair creation tools. They are far superior to the ones in Lightwave, Modeler or Layout.

Here's a great tutorial on how to use them to create great hair styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L3wq6d26yI

Philbert
02-27-2019, 11:33 AM
Does it create splines that LightWave can use in FiberFX? I have blender but use it as little as possible. I actually got Strand Modeler working well enough, but I had to go back to 2015.

Oldcode
02-27-2019, 12:24 PM
No, but there's a simple process you can go through to bring the hair object you create in Blender into Modeler and Make it usable in Layout. I think I have it in my notes somewhere, but I'm not at home. I'll try to find them for you.

erikals
02-27-2019, 01:19 PM
... I think I have it in my notes somewhere,

this? >
https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147849-Blender-Hair-to-Lightwave

Oldcode
02-27-2019, 01:46 PM
Actually no, I never knew about the script. I have a process documented that I found here on the forum and I integrated it a larger tutorial I'm writing about how to use Lightwave for dynamic hair with characters animated in Poser. The process below looks more intimidating that it is, and it harder to follow without the screen shots I used in my document, but this is how I do it. If you like, I can send you my tutorial in word format or post my screen shots along with these directions later.

Blender:
When your hair style is finished in Blender, convert the hair strands into an object.
With the hair selected, go to Object Mode.
Click on the “Object Modifiers” button in the Properties Panel. (the Wrench)
Click the “Convert” button. The hair will change color. Now the hair and the character are one mesh.
Export the character as an OBJ under a different name.

Lightwave:
Import the new OBJ into Lightwave Modeler. You will see the figure and the new hair strands as one object.
Bring up the selection panel in Polygon Mode, and select all polygons.
The Hair surface should be called “Default”
Now, and this is important, de-select the Default surface. Now, all polygons except for the hair should be selected.
Hit delete.
The hair strands should be the only thing remaining.
Cut and paste the hair strands into the second layer of Modeler.
Go into Edge Mode and select the plus sign + on the same line as Total.
Copy and paste the Edges into the first layer.
Switch back to Polygon mode and delete the hair from the second layer. You don’t need it any more.
Go back to the first layer and switch to Point Mode and select all 1 point polygons.
The points selected should be at the very root and the far ends of the hair.
De-select the points at the end of the hairs.
With only the points at the root of the hairs selected create a Selection Set and name it “Roots” or something similar.
Save the hair as a Lightwave object. e.g. “Hair.lwo”