PDA

View Full Version : Running old non-usb LW dongle on new PC system

TheLexx
02-26-2019, 07:51 AM
I do have licensed older LW incarnations with the "plastic door-wedge" dongle. Can those run on a modern(ish) system with some sort of adapter cable to usb, or could anyone recommend any solution please ?

:)

gar26lw
02-26-2019, 08:05 AM
yeah, two solutions i am aware of.

1. get a pci parallel card. they work well and all good

2. you can use a dongle emulator.

number 1 is a lot easier. when i used the old dongle system, i have used a pci parallel port and that does the job, can be hit n miss on quality of the card though. do a bit of research on a decent brand. i ended up buying a few before finding a good one. i tried a usb parallel port but that didn’t seem to work very well at all.

gar26lw
02-26-2019, 08:09 AM
here, try this one, you’ll see in the reviews a guy states to not bother with the cable style usb. i concur.

https://www.amazon.com.au/SD-PEX10005-PCI-Express-Parallel-MCS9901-Chipset/dp/B003D3MFHC/ref=pd_sim_147_5/376-9880849-1411327?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003D3MFHC&pd_rd_r=5351f550-39d8-11e9-8187-653dd9b85a4a&pd_rd_w=HxUaA&pd_rd_wg=NtCYZ&pf_rd_p=f09e5598-fbdb-4712-af44-62e0022496fc&pf_rd_r=9H8K36DVFH8VCJ1CFMNS&psc=1&refRID=9H8K36DVFH8VCJ1CFMNS

TheLexx
02-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Thanks very much, I'll try to get the card.

raymondtrace
02-26-2019, 09:47 AM
The PCI card option is best but maybe NT customer service may be able to swap, if they still do that. I did that when I upgraded to 7.

Unless you need to maintain vintage software & plugins licensed to that dongle, the old LW license may be best utilized as an upgrade path.

Greenlaw
02-26-2019, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I think NT might swap it for you but there might be a cost involved. I remember doing that twice...once for an old Mac ADB dongle, and another time for a PC parallel port dongle.

Just curious but is there a reason you need to go back that far? FWIW, I don't think I've ever had to go back to a LW version that needed a dongle for many years now. (Nor would I want to.) :p

TheLexx
02-26-2019, 12:34 PM
Unless you need to maintain vintage software & plugins licensed to that dongle, the old LW license may be best utilized as an upgrade path.You're probably right on that, but I might just get the card anyway to see.

Just curious but is there a reason you need to go back that far? FWIW, I don't think I've ever had to go back to a LW version that needed a dongle for many years now. (Nor would I want to.) :pApart from my main LW license which is intermittently LW8 to LW2019, I did get from Ebay a license encompassing LW 5,6,7,8 and 2015 with LWCAD tied to it, so the main reason was an examination of older plugins (which is also linked to my begging (https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?159302-Would-anyone-sell-Mimic-Lipsync-for-Lightwave)on the Buy/Sell thread for someone to please sell me their Mimic Lipsync Software for Lightwave ! :D).

I was thinking of bringing an old version of Poser 4 to life with the Pro Pack which I understand played really nicely with Lightwave versions around 6 or 7. Then I was thinking if there was a workflow to refine the facial animations in TAFA or at least get away with "cheating" for distance-from-camera characters, but I'll admit I haven't fully thought this through. I'm currently watching Craig's animation course too, so my mind is going round a bit. There really seems to be a lot of choice in LW under the hood.

And then there is Messiah......I never did find those Joe Cosman dvds......