PDA

View Full Version : Clone Object with Background Points but with a twist....

short223
02-25-2019, 12:16 PM
Is it possible to have a cloud of background points, each point with a unique vector point color. Then clone an object, like a simple sphere in the foreground and when complete, I would have a sphere where all the points in the background resided (just like the standard background point plug does) but each sphere retains the same color of each vector point it was cloned with? So if the point is blue, the sphere that is cloned to it is the same blue etc.

I am on 2018 but if it can be done with 2019 that is fine....

Thanks so much

gar26lw
02-25-2019, 06:41 PM
yeah, i think if you just generate the point cloud and send that to layout along with the sphere.

instance the sphere to the points in the cloud, hide the original.

in the surfacing options of the sphere material, set the instance id to drive the colour.

gar26lw
02-25-2019, 06:45 PM
i’m thinking an alternative would be to use a material setup using world space, like sensei shows here.

excuse my over zealous comments :)

https://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?155855-LightWave-2018-0-1-Randomization-And-Quantization-Full-HD-video&highlight=vector+color

you could do something like that to drive the colour of each cloned sphere. i think there is a python script to convert instances to actual objects.

MonroePoteet
02-28-2019, 02:51 PM
Is the Vertex Color assigned in Modeler random, or is it based upon some sort of dataset or calculation or "rule"? If it's random, it would be easier to use the Instance Info ID output to generate a Random Vector (normal range between 0.0 and 1.0 for each component, so compatible with Color input), and set the Instance's color with it:

In this scenario, I just use Random Points in Modeler to create a set of 100 random points, then in Layout added an Instancer to the point cloud, the sphere as the object to be instanced, and used the Instance Info ID output to randomize each Instance's color.

On the other hand, if the Vertex Color you're assigning in Modeler has some sort of requirements (e.g. according to a dataset or calculation or "rule"), it may be easier to move a nodal implementation of that same dataset or calculation into the instanced Object's surface node network.

I don't know how to retrieve the Vertex Color map(s) that a particular vertex belongs to (yes, it can belong to more than one), and the Item Info=>Mesh Info node doesn't provide any vertex map output information. Although there is a Vertex Map=>Vertex Color node, it is only for getting information about the Map itself rather than the set of points within that map or the ability to query whether a particular vertex is in a particular Vertex Color map.

mTp