PDA

View Full Version : Partigons

sellis
02-23-2019, 02:07 PM
A strange thing has happened that I cannot recreate… Just wondering whether this has happened before?
I added a Partigon emitter that automatically assigned a surface called ‘Partigon’. Selected ‘standard’ and applied the required surface attributes. The objects and scene were saved.

While reloading the scene file, I was prompted with ‘file not found, Select an alternate file?’ for the partigon emitters?
Selecting No removed the surface for the emitter, so now they do not have any surface and do not render!

I removed the emitters and tried load from scene… same thing!

The particle emitters are still present in the scene, but I cannot add a surface to them.
Other than recreating the emitters and surface, is there a way of forcing a surface name for partigon particle emitters?

MonroePoteet
02-23-2019, 06:23 PM
I'd just try pressing "Yes" and navigating through your directory tree to wherever you have the PlasEmitter.LWO file located. I've seen this when I'm trying to load from a location other then my current Content Directory.

Another way I get this is if I'm on a different system with a different disk letter than on the system where I originally created the scene and I'm trying to load across "directory trees". For example, on the original system it's C:, and the other system it's network mapped to L:.

In any case, simply navigating to the correctly location and selecting the missing file usually synchs up the Load so it finds all the rest of the assets.

mTp

sellis
02-25-2019, 05:11 AM
The problem is, PlasEmitter.LWO is not an object and never was. It is a Partigon Emitter added to the scene.
It should only exists in the scene file .LWS. That is why I have to select "No" as the .LWO objects for the emitters do not exist.

Lightwave has decided to try and load these as objects even though they do still appear in the scene, if you select "No".
But by selecting "No", the surface and nodes all disappear. When in the surface editor, the 'Partigon' surface name has gone and the surface nodes have gone completely.

That is why I asked whether a surface name for emitters can be added and forced, like press q in modeller?

I couldn't find a way around the problem other than to delete the current emitters and redo them.

As I mentioned, I could not recreate Lightwave to save emitters as objects. not sure how or why it done it.

Thanks for your reply though.

Cheers

BeeVee
02-27-2019, 10:58 AM
Please use the built-in bug reporter to uhh... report the bug. :)

B

archartsnorth
03-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Have you had a response from the LW folks?

daforum
03-12-2019, 12:42 AM
Maybe try recreating the surface then "save all objects" before saving the scene.
Hopefully that will save the surface settings as would a .lwo that has had its suface adjusted in Layout.

If you have done that can you also save a surface file so you can at least load the surface back in.

Hope it helps :)

UnCommonGrafx
03-12-2019, 04:09 AM
I'm curious and I'll explain why.

One day, after using a partigon, I wondered what it was. It was an actual low poly ball, I found, after loading it into modeler.
At a later time, a scene couldn't find the partigon, like your situation. I made a teeny, tiny ball and used that. All was good. It was at that time I learned you could sustitute objects for the partigon with this idea.

So, I'm curious as to why the system didn't save this partigon thing (or if its saved just location unknown) and hmm, lw saves objects in the scene file?

Curious as to the result of this.
Robert

archartsnorth
03-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Solution per LW support: save the emitter and related info as objects.

sellis
03-12-2019, 03:22 PM
Case LWB-4950.

Cheers

sellis
03-13-2019, 01:00 PM
Apparently it's coved in the LW manual. Case Closed.

However, creating a scene with a Partigon emitter and having that object selected, then select 'save object as' from the save menu does allow you to save the emitter out.
When selecting this new emitter when the scene asks for the emitter object, all is fine and loads correctly with the correct surface.

Question is, how and why did Layout decide to save the emitter as an object? Maybe I had the emitter selected when I saved all objects?
Who Knows!

Cheers