PDA

View Full Version : LW 2019 Smoothing groups

kolby
02-22-2019, 10:06 AM
I have a question about the smoothing groups. I've created several smoothing groups on my model but in the Layout my model is without any smoothing ? Did I miss something ?

MarcusM
02-22-2019, 12:37 PM
I tested this and it is interesting.

Default material in Modeler is Principled BSDF with turned off smoothing. When you set smoothing groups in Modeler you see result but smoothing in surface is still turned off.
When you save object and send to Layout then like you wrote, smoothing groups are not visible. You must turn on smoothing in surface. In my opinion you can send a bug report. Layout should see smoothing groups like Modeler.

kolby
02-23-2019, 10:00 AM
If you turn on smoothing in surface, smoothing groups are visible in OGL, but smoothing in the rendered image is wrong.
Bug report sent.

Lewis
02-23-2019, 11:17 AM
It's been reported (by me and several others from what i can see in the system).

So yes, it's a BUG.

Lewis
02-23-2019, 11:21 AM
It's been reported (by me and several others from what i can see in the system).

So yes, it's a BUG.

SaT
03-14-2019, 11:54 AM
It is still broken in 2019.0.3, right?

XswampyX
03-14-2019, 03:42 PM
It is still broken in 2019.0.3, right?

It works here?

SaT
03-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks for your test scene. Now I know why it did not work for me. I always did not check the smoothing option in the Surface Editor when using Smoothing Groups because the Smoothing Threshold is not used for this.

XswampyX
03-15-2019, 06:09 PM
Thanks for your test scene. Now I know why it did not work for me. I always did not check the smoothing option in the Surface Editor when using Smoothing Groups because the Smoothing Threshold is not used for this.

Yes. It's a strange thing, but if you have smoothing groups then you don't need a smoothing threshold.

Cheers!

jwiede
03-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Yes. It's a strange thing, but if you have smoothing groups then you don't need a smoothing threshold.

That's really a bug, though. If there really needs to be a global enable/disable to smoothing groups' effects, it should exist as an independent, object-level property. Having surface-scope properties controlling object-scope attributes just creates a bunch of odd corner cases (read as: bugs), as well as import/export inconsistencies.

At the very least, if per-surface Smoothing must be enabled to allow smoothing groups' effects, then that control ought to be auto-enabled for all surfaces applied to objects' geometry where active smoothing groups are present. Having it work otherwise just creates confusion and problems.