PDA

View Full Version : VFX interview - Richard Servello

erikals
02-20-2019, 02:00 AM
one of the better interviews on the VFX industry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86V85Q-jTeE

gdkeast
02-20-2019, 04:44 AM
Thanks for sharing this. Brutally honest...."they flat out told us...only 10% of you are going to be working in this industry." At least Full Sail was keeping it real. LOL.

erikals
02-20-2019, 10:28 AM
yes, VFX ain't no 9 to 5

:)

gdkeast
02-22-2019, 02:05 AM
On a serious note, I really wonder about these schools. If what he says is true and only 10% find a job in the industry, then in a class of 30 only 3 are going to be working. And yet, with tuition costing at least $80,000, the school takes in $2.4 million. I see the numbers adding up for the school but not the students. There seems like there has to be a more affordable pathway.

erikals
02-22-2019, 03:46 AM
schools don't care too much, as long as they earn money.

that said, many teachers help you getting a job, if your motivation is high.

many students drop out as well, maybe not the first year, but the 2nd or 3rd.
either because of lack of interest or realizing it is quite time consuming to create 3D art.

you have to be somewhat of a smart nerd to do these things, and most of the population lack that motivation / interest,
or seek other arenas where they can work less and earn more money. [politicians] [shrinks] [salesmen] etc.

it looks like "true" artists mostly are quite self-centered, smart, and hate kissing bu**
people skills may vary.

jbrookes
02-22-2019, 04:31 PM
On a serious note, I really wonder about these schools. If what he says is true and only 10% find a job in the industry, then in a class of 30 only 3 are going to be working. And yet, with tuition costing at least $80,000, the school takes in $2.4 million. I see the numbers adding up for the school but not the students. There seems like there has to be a more affordable pathway.

There is.

Self-teach using YouTube, forums, and books.

Build a short but good portfolio and demo reel.

Work with smaller studios and build up experience.

Still no guarantee of work, but it's doable.

I should also mention that the phrase, "Location, location, location." also applies to VFX as well. That and being able to survive on a modest budget.

erikals
02-22-2019, 09:28 PM
"Location, location, location"
and Contacts, Contacts, Contacts. :)

Self-teach using YouTube, forums, and books.
yes, this is getting more and more applicable i think.

Cageman
02-26-2019, 05:10 PM
Here in Sweden, we have 3D schools, but the difference is that they do not cost anything to attend to. Our government pays for it. :D

Back in 2004 I went to a school called "School of Future Entertainment". I went from there to work with VFX/Commercials for a year, and then ended up at Massive Entertainment (now part of Ubisoft)... jeesus... I've been working at Massive for 12 years now. :)

That said... the schools *require* you to have your own drive. If you have, they will help you find internships etc.

EDIT: "School of Future Entertainment" had about 80% of the students finding a job in the industry (games and VFX).

A comment about that is, probably, that since here in Sweden, we didn't have to fork out $80k for a season; the students and their relatives didn't have to wory about money. That, in turn, made those that wanted this type of creative career, to be able to focus, and not worry about the outcome, as in fail / success.

erikals
02-26-2019, 07:21 PM
Here in Sweden, we have 3D schools, but the difference is that they do not cost anything to attend to. Our government pays for it. :D
you are lucky. and yep, i'm one of those guys who are still married to that $99k loan.
ah, how that loan loves me. 8~

"School of Future Entertainment" had about 80% of the students finding a job in the industry (games and VFX).
damn good actually. :) personally i chose another "temporary" path (pedagogic) but might get back to 3D full time or part time.

jeesus... I've been working at Massive for 12 years now.
it's usually like that with good working environments. :)

------------
p.s. you might like > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKytvLy1Diw

rednova
03-03-2019, 10:33 AM
I enjoyed the interview. I like the part
" Autodesk is saying...give us your money...we don't give a crap about you"
and
"Young artists...you can make your own movie"
Very cool !!!

rustythe1
03-03-2019, 10:55 AM

But then, the other 90% could be freelance, earning more than being employed, not an easy way to track those numbers/statistics as individuals are often not registered in any particular area when self employed, like me, im just a sole trader as far as government sees, the tax forms wont even let you select anything relating to 3d, closest you can get is an engineer, and what is the industry? could easily be what you make it, again like me, I go from one end of the spectrum to the other, work with individuals or very big names,

TheLexx
03-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Also VFX interview - Kelly Myers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=YnOob734uMA). :)

robertoortiz
03-03-2019, 02:15 PM
I enjoyed the interview. I like the part
" Autodesk is saying...give us your money...we don't give a crap about you"
and
"Young artists...you can make your own movie"
Very cool !!!
Sounds about right.

Thanks for sharing this. Brutally honest...."they flat out told us...only 10% of you are going to be working in this industry." At least Full Sail was keeping it real. LOL.

I would liek to add, how many of that 10% stayed in the industry after age 35. And at what cost to health and family?

Markc
03-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Also VFX interview - Kelly Myers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=YnOob734uMA). :)

Cool interview.