PDA

View Full Version : STL export for printing

Scoobistorm
02-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Anyone know what settings i should use or other way of getting my stl files properly scaled? - things are hundreds of meters in size in lightwave then in simplify3d they appear well small enough to fit on the 210mm x210mm bed of my printer :) means if i'm making something that needs to be dimensionally accurate it can be a challenge!

i'm still on lw 2015.3

thanks for any help

Imageshoppe
02-19-2019, 08:10 AM
Anyone know what settings i should use or other way of getting my stl files properly scaled? - things are hundreds of meters in size in lightwave then in simplify3d they appear well small enough to fit on the 210mm x210mm bed of my printer :) means if i'm making something that needs to be dimensionally accurate it can be a challenge!

i'm still on lw 2015.3

thanks for any help

I use Simplify3d as well. When using the native STL exporter, the value in the exporter dialog should be 1000 (millimeters) regardless your chosen modelling units. However, grab the free STL exporter from Chilton...

https://www.liberty3d.com/2013/03/freebie-export-stl/

And you'll not have to touch anything, just leave it toggled to meters in the exporter, no matter what units you're modelling with.

Regards

Scoobistorm
02-19-2019, 10:52 AM
thanks - that should help a lot!